Ownership Verified: NooDle’s EV take 2 : The Mullet (Kia EV6)

Apparently the "logic" of when the big battery charges the 12v is flawed. It checks far too few times, and when it charges, it only goes up to like 90% which damages the 12v apparently. It's not like there's a big alternator generating electricity at all times for the 12v to consume if needed....

Since Euro 6 practically all ICE starter batteries are charged only to ~80-90% to leave capacity for recuperation from engine braking as a way to minimize the CO2-figures.
I have no idea why on an EV the 12V battery would only be partially charged. Charge logic like this requires AGM or the very least EFB type batteries to work properly.

The battery on your EV6 should be normal "OE Group 47" size battery (242 x 175 x 190 mm). Surprisingly Bosch battery finder suggests also a normal flooded battery for EV6.
This could mean the OEM is just normal flooded battery and you could try to upgrade to AGM with better deep cycling before trying expensive lithium options.

Boschautoparts.com: Batteries for 2022 Kia EV6

EDIT: Found a post on Kia EV forums that says the battery isn't AGM.

kiaevforums.com: Accessing 12V battery
If you look at photos of the EV6 and look up the battery number, it’s a standard sealed battery. Not AGM.

Last edited:
Proper hassle there with the battery nonsense!

Heck even on the old school Twizy the BMS checks the status of the 12V brick once every hour, and then tops it up from the main battery, regardless if the Twizy is parked or underway.

Heck even on the old school Twizy the BMS checks the status of the 12V brick once every hour, and then tops it up from the main battery, regardless if the Twizy is parked or underway.
That does, however, sound like a disaster for vampire drain… :|

• Haha
Reactions: lip
^It's only a little bike brick.

Anyway, back to the Kia!

No update yet, it's still at the dealer. I see that they're charging it, which probably means the 12v has been swapped out.
In other news, the AWD EV6 is a monster in acceleration, especially in Sport mode. It feels more like a Model 3 when properly flooring it.
This is particularly interesting, as this is basically pretty much the exact car I was considering when choosing the EV6

It was "basic car with lots of power" versus "all the toys and *only* 230 hp. I chose the latter.

Now that I have a direct comparison, I kinda miss some stuff (the "small" wheels look a bit meh, no HUD), but I do like having ridiculous power on tap at all times. On the other hand, if you carry stuff in the boot it clatters a lot when doing red light sprints.
Interestingly, the smaller (but still 19") wheels / more tirewall gives the car a much smoother ride though. Also it only has 3k kms so everything is a lot "tighter" like doorhandles and steering wheel buttons, there's a tangible difference from my own EV6.

All in all, I think I prefer "my" EV6. Having that much power to play with is fun, but will ultimately give me a lot of speeding tickets, as it gains speed so quickly you can be speeding without realising. Also not having the HUD is a bummer, I hear they don't offer them anymore on 2024 EV6s, and I was kinda used to having that now. Those big wheels/tires though, may have to rethink that for when I next choose a car...

All in all, I think I prefer "my" EV6. Having that much power to play with is fun, but will ultimately give me a lot of speeding tickets, as it gains speed so quickly you can be speeding without realising. Also not having the HUD is a bummer, I hear they don't offer them anymore on 2024 EV6s, and I was kinda used to having that now. Those big wheels/tires though, may have to rethink that for when I next choose a car...
This, very much this. I've learned from experience that quiet EV + fast acceleration + no HUD means speeding ticket. My Tesla just crept over the limit* without me realising as I was looking for a road, not realising I was going past an unmarked speed trap van and not looking anywhere near the speedo in the centre of the dash.

Interesting comparison though, it seems like a used AWD EV6 with all the toys might be a good buy. I've heard that the GT is too firm, probably like the Model 3 Performance was.

*Including the 10%+2 allowance, in this case it was 36 in a 30 where a 35 would've likely been OK.

View attachment 3572017
I'm sure it'll be fine. OTA updates and all that.
Sitrep. It still works. Which is good since I’ve got a ton of trips planned this month.

I did notice one big difference, and that’s the ‘estimated time until full’ on the app is completely accurate now. Before it would say x amount of hours, and it would be 1,5 to 2 hours later where I got the ping saying ‘charging complete’

At the time I figured this was some battery chemistry balancing thing, but it could be that it was charging the 12v battery during that time? That would explain why I hadn’t seen any 12v warning, because I charge it almost every day, I was inadvertently topping up the 12v?

Or is this just silly?

I did notice one big difference, and that’s the ‘estimated time until full’ on the app is completely accurate now. Before it would say x amount of hours, and it would be 1,5 to 2 hours later where I got the ping saying ‘charging complete’

At the time I figured this was some battery chemistry balancing thing, but it could be that it was charging the 12v battery during that time? That would explain why I hadn’t seen any 12v warning, because I charge it almost every day, I was inadvertently topping up the 12v?

Or is this just silly?
Ignore all this since it’s bollocks. I plugged it in last night, it said ‘11hrs 5 minutes to full’ and it took 13hrs and 38 minutes. So I dunno what’s going on anymore.
IMG_4167.jpeg

On the other hand, range is not too shabby given that it was 5 degrees and I drove it on the highway 90% of the time

Ignore all this since it’s bollocks. I plugged it in last night, it said ‘11hrs 5 minutes to full’ and it took 13hrs and 38 minutes. So I dunno what’s going on anymore.View attachment 3572044
On the other hand, range is not too shabby given that it was 5 degrees and I drove it on the highway 90% of the time

I have had this with the Tesla a few times when it gets cold, it needs to heat the batteries overnight which draws *a lot*

Thought of that, but that doesn't align with the kwh used....
Let's science the shit out of this((c) 'The Martian' film) :

Car was at 5%
Battery is 77kwh, of which 72 kwh are usable.
72 kwh * 95% = 68,4 kwh
kwh used : 79,40 (over 13hrs 38 minutes)
=> gives me a charging loss of 10,27%, which is sort of exactly what it always is?

Another option : since the charge was longer than usual, and I was using electricity during the day, maybe the charger couldn't give me full power?
79,40 kwh / 13hrs 38 minutes = 5,82 kw average charging speed.

OR : let's say it was charging at full speed (7,2 kw) then I would have 11 hrs of charging (as predicted by the car), and 2,5 hrs of "idle" time, while the charger is still blue ("charging" status)

A lot of numbers here but they don't make sense to me.
@narf please help!

Anyone else's car doing this? I know it's pedantic and silly and it doesn't really matter, but I NEED to know why it's doing this

tAnyone else's car doing this?
well, yes, but that's because I do the whole solar excess charging thing and the charging power offered by the charger fluctuates wildly the entire time :p ... solar was quite good today, for early march.
1709906290680.png

what my car does is gain and lose SOC % while stationary, sometimes by quite a lot and both up and down. plugged in or not doesn't matter, since once the car deems "charging finished" it won't start charging again unless i go and actively change the target SOC, even if the SOC has dropped below target in the meantime. so that means I'll sometimes have an indicated 78% when setting off in the morning, or 84%, or something in between (target 80%). at work I sometimes lose 5% SOC over the workday, but I sometimes also gain a few % as well. doesn't make any sense to me, but also doesn't really matter, cause it sort of averages out again after driving (the latter does - if I lost SOC then somehow consumtion is low (in %SOC) and vice versa).

at work I sometimes lose 5% SOC over the workday, but I sometimes also gain a few % as well. doesn't make any sense to me
This happened to my old Model 3 quite regularly, random gaining / losing of a few % SoC. Haven't noticed it so far in over a year of the new car, but on the old one I eventually gave up trying to find any reason or rhyme to it. BMS weirdness.

BMS weirdness.
This was what I thought, but there's more going on I think. Plugged the car in at 40% for 14 hours, and now I see it's 'only' at 91% Something doesn't add up. Yes, yes, there was other stuff in the house using electricity during that time, but the car should have taken like 6 hours or so to fill up, it's had more than double that, and still not full?

A bit over 1 year in and the stats are as follows

Total mileage : 33.340 kms (I missed the 33,333 milestone :()
total charged : dunno and don't care anymore really. I just plug it in at home and don't worry about it.
Consumption is around 17,8 kwh/100 kms, going down massively the last couple of weeks, since it's finally a decent temperature now.
Was touching 20 kwh/100 kms in the winter months since I did a LOT of highway miles and it was freezing a lot.

Times the Guessometer lied to me : still 0. If anything, it is even a bit too conservative, with the current temperatures it tells me 430 kms are doable but I think I can stretch it to 450 if I really needed to. I just haven't had the chance to test it (most I've done in 1 go recently was 370 kms)

Total number of unintended drifts/powerslides : still 1
Total number of deliberate drifts/powerslides : still many

Total number of damages out of my control : 3 (1 destroyed the car's left butt cheek entirely because reversing van, 1 cracked headlight due to a rock, 1 puncture due to a screw on the road)
Total number of damages because I'm an idiot : 1 (dented the front splitter/bumper because I didn't notice a concrete block)
I now realise THATS A LOTTA damage in just 1 year, but then again it's mostly not my fault....

Ragrets about picking this car: 0

ALTHOUGH : I do have some niggling concerns that are popping up after 1 year

- the paint, although it looks awesome when washed, is extremely brittle. I've heard 4 or 5 stones hit the bonnet the past year and EVERY SINGLE ONE left a mark thats down to the white primer. I drove the Golf for 5 years and 100k kms and never had this issue
- same goes for the alloys, driving up a kerb gave me a (admittedly, tiny, a couple of mms) mark. Yeah I know big wheels learn how to park etc, but still... shame
- and the most annoying of all : the interior plastics are utter shit. I'm talking mostly about the lower parts of the door binnacle and the center console. It is made of super scratchy plastic, so much that if you graze it with your foot when getting out of the car, it leaves a mark that will not go away. I've learned to live with it now, and stopped caring (also, because lease car, it's someone else's problem in due time), but it's a massive shame and frankly detracts from the perceived quality of the rest of the car.
Don't get me wrong, all the bits you touch (steering wheel, seat leather, buttons, stalks, touchscreen) is nice and soft to the touch, but the other parts seem to be made from the cheapest plastic available, which is frankly not cool on a car that's worth 55 k.
my whole statistic is out of whack due to me not having a car from dec 22 to march 23, so I guess now I have officially passed the 2 year mark?
Anyways,

Total mileage 65855 kms (or which means I did almost exactly 33k per year)
Total charged : a lot this year : 207times, meaning a charge every 1.7 days
79% of the time I charged at home, 16% of the time I used a fastcharger, and the remaining 5% was done at a slow public charger
Car does seem to be more thirsty in winter, which makes sense, overall consumption is now around 19.something kwh/100 kms, but this will drop again when the temps go over 15°C. It's been a LONG time since I've seen a "full" battery give me 400 kms though

Times the Guessometer lied to me : still 0. It's a bit on the conservative side, because I did manage to do 20 or so highway kms with the GOM on 0 kms / 0%.

Total number of damages out of my control : 3 (1 destroyed the car's left butt cheek entirely because reversing van, 1 cracked headlight due to a rock, 1 puncture due to a screw on the road)
Total number of damages because I'm an idiot : 2 (dented the front splitter/bumper because I didn't notice a concrete block), scuffed the hell out of a wheel because narrow parking garage is narrow and my car most certainly is not.
Total number of times car left me stranded : 1 and I'm still quite pissed about this. This is the first car I've owned where I had to call a towtruck, but after learning what it's for and how silly it all is, I'm not impressed

Stuff that annoys me :
- The crappy paint is still there, but after driving a replacement car which had 3k kms on the clock, and had identical paint damage, I kinda don't care anymore. It's a car, it's a tool, it gets used, it won't be perfect.
- Over the air updates that don't come over the air and/or are not free. SRSLY Kia, get your shit together.

- Over the air updates that don't come over the air and/or are not free. SRSLY Kia, get your shit together.
This still isn't sorted? As you didn't mention it replying to my previous post I thought it was. It's a real shame because they've got so much right with this car. It just doesn't give me the confidence I'd like in the EV9. There's an EV6 outside now that a neighbour owns and damn does it look good from the side, even if black isn't its most flattering colour as it hides the shape.

It's a car, it's a tool, it gets used, it won't be perfect.
This is something I often say myself and get incredulous looks for from some people…
Yes I transport 3m wooden beams in the car, they fit (just), so why not? Just cover the dash with a towel and it’ll be fine. The seats get kicked and scratched by my daughter anyway, she spills shit all the time - why would I then baby the car the rest of the time she’s not in it 🤣
Only thing I’m slightly worried about is whether mounting the roof rack will make my glass roof go boom. Will see the coming weekend.

This still isn't sorted? As you didn't mention it replying to my previous post I thought it was. It's a real shame because they've got so much right with this car. It just doesn't give me the confidence I'd like in the EV9. There's an EV6 outside now that a neighbour owns and damn does it look good from the side, even if black isn't its most flattering colour as it hides the shape.
Well it kinda is, because I paid for them.
I've dug deeper into this and you still get "regular" OTA updates, but that's mainly map updates and infotainment stuff.
For proper car updates (ie you update the car's brain) you will need to visit a dealer and pay up.

On the other hand, since my car now does preheating I don't see myself needing another paid update, but still, it could be so much easier/better if they used the Tesla system where you just wake up and your car automagically has gained some new features.
Also also, technically my updates are not OTA, because I usually get an email saying "we got new stuff" and I just use a USB drive to update my car.... You can do it OTA but it takes weeks/months before they arrive, and 4G reception is patchy here, so just using USB is a lot easier

This is something I often say myself and get incredulous looks for from some people…
Yes I transport 3m wooden beams in the car, they fit (just), so why not? Just cover the dash with a towel and it’ll be fine. The seats get kicked and scratched by my daughter anyway, she spills shit all the time - why would I then baby the car the rest of the time she’s not in it 🤣
Only thing I’m slightly worried about is whether mounting the roof rack will make my glass roof go boom. Will see the coming weekend.
Yeah I used to be THAT guy but with the low quality plastics, my door cards were scratched to hell within a few weeks of getting the car so I'm not that bothered anymore.
I do hate spillled food or drinks, not because of the stains but more because of the smell, as that can be hard to get rid of.
May need to invest in some of that new car perfume...