Ownership Verified: NooDle’s EV take 2 : The Mullet (Kia EV6)

Well it makes mathematical sense I’m sure. But on longer trips doing 130 kph and then charging more doesn’t add up. In the long run, driving a tiny bit slower (not really noticeable to be honest) will get you THAT much further.
back in the day teslabjörn used to test this kinda stuff out... and at least for a model 3 LR he ended up at fastest travel speed including charging stops being some 150 km/h - which i also thought was crazy high. but that's what high charging speed coupled with good efficiency will get you.

With regard to the hud, I’m so used to it now that I barely need the screen anymore, the augmented reality thing is so good that I don’t need any more. It doesn’t work with apple carplay/waze though, but the convenience of the hud (and the fact the built in gps is so good) hasn’t left me wanting waze for the first time since ever
Well damn I didn't realise that the EV6 had an augmented reality HUD, I was just referring to the need for it on the Tesla and you've essentially proven my point by saying how well it works. Tesla should take note!

back in the day teslabjörn used to test this kinda stuff out... and at least for a model 3 LR he ended up at fastest travel speed including charging stops being some 150 km/h - which i also thought was crazy high. but that's what high charging speed coupled with good efficiency will get you.

Yes I guess that kinda works for the EV6 aswell but since I’m in .be I don’t have the space to go real fast, and I don’t have the charging network to support me.

My point (which I keep making to my wife) is that going 130 all the time means you need another 10-15 min charging stop, which will eat up any time gained by going quicker.

I did try the topspeed, which should be 188, got up to 184 before there was no room left, so close enough. Dunno about consumption though, I expect it to be astronomical

Dealer experience with dealer nr 2 isn’t a whole lot better. After tons of back and forth (they needed all my data and the cars papers so I could be created as a new customer) I finally had an appointment to swap out the faulty light…. And then it was moved because the light wasn’t here yet. I now finally have an appointment but it’s still a month away 🙄

LED strip on the ‘bad’ light has stopped working in the meantime so I now have a pirate car

RWD + rain = drift when full throttle launch + corner. Caught me by surprise but easily held. Got to about a 45° angle before the traction control kicked in.... did not expect it though from my 2 tonne electric barge

How much range did €39 give you?

I used a bit of maths to figure out it buys you about 350-400km of diesel in a normal family car with today’s prices. It’s just a shame that you can’t get “home diesel” at half the price from the wall box at home. :p

Around 350 kms so roughly the same as a diesel would cost. Then again, home charging costs is almost 1/3rd of fast charging cost. Charging at home would have cost me 14€ (but would have taken 8,5 hours instead of 19 minutes). IMO the price is justified for the rare occasion you actually use a fastcharger. It’s a but like highway fuel costing 15 cents more than in some abandoned fuel station on a road in the middle of nowhere, you pay for the convenience of having it on the highway as you’re driving by

706 kms today with 2 charging stops. Car just takes whatever the charger can give (180 kw in the first case, 229 in the second case). I'm actually amazed that a 16 min and a 13 min charge was enough. Could have done it in one charge, but as they are right by the highway 2 short stops make more sense than 1 long one.
First case of "ladestau" though, since everyone is going on holiday one of the Ionity charge sites I passed was full (6/6 chargers occupied). Thankfully there was another fastcharger nearby, as all the "medium speed" chargers (50 kw) were occupied with Leafs (Leaves) which charge very slowly...

With regards to the light there is a definite crack eight at the top edge, so it’ll need to be fixed. Warranty or not, I don’t really care because lease car
emoji12.png
Over here, that was also much longer ago than I remembered it being.

Yeah it was just a tiny crack in the headlight, which apparently was there from day 1. I just didn't notice it until someone pointed it out to me since the headlight just worked initially.

Schermafbeelding 2022-08-18 om 12.06.56.png

It had gotten some moisture in it, giving this weird looking effect :

Schermafbeelding 2022-08-18 om 12.06.39.png

Then came the whole "going to a dealer" disaster, which ended up in me going there twice and then nothing being fixed, and then I got another dealer to do it.
Was quite annoying the last couple of weeks, since the headlight didn't work anymore, and it would bing every time I started the car+ every time the lights went on automatically. Which is every time you go under a bridge or use a tunnel, which is A LOT!

in other random news, apparently my car doesn't have a "soft" speed limiter? It should kick in at around 185 kph but I did 192 the other day. On my private test track of course)

My colleague who has an identical EV6 hasn't been so lucky, after all the hassle with no heating, getting a ton of software updates (which needed a visit to the dealer every time) and a broken door handle, there was a new (and quite big) problem with his car

He went to charge up at home, wouldn't work. So he attempted to charge on a public charger, didn't work, and the charger broke afterwards. After a few tests (each of which ending up with a broken public charger) he took the car to the dealer, where they attempted to charge it, which tripped the main, turning the lights off at the dealer entirely.
Apparently he has had a rare failure of the charging system, which can send DC current back into an AC charger by mistake. Car has been at the dealer for 7 weeks while they kind of had to dissassemble it completely and rebuild the charging system/wiring from scratch. This included taking the entire rear seats out to get access.
And now when all was done, they had to install a new ECU, which is throwing up all sorts of errors (missing water pump, which is weird), and thus the car will not move. As you can imagine he's quite fed up with all this, also because his loaner car is a Citroen C3 petrol....

I'm hearing more and more of these issues, mostly with 'earlier' EV6 batches....

6A2B563D-83A1-4AFB-9C9D-BF042D1C5386.jpeg

First real test of the bootspace. Large table/outdoor chairs fit fine. Sloping roof needs you to slide longer stuff all the way to the front though. One thing I noticed is that having a rear camera you can turn on with a button helps when the rear window is obscured. All good!

After some advanced faffing around with the settings, found 2 features I have that I wasn’t even aware of!

1) I can schedule charging/preheating/precooling with the app. I knew about the heating but it’s nice you can program it to take night time/cheaper electricity tariffs into account. So now my car knows when electricity is cheap and will only start charging on the lower rates, regardless of when I plug it in.
I’m legendarily lazy, I count this as a win

2) speedcamera warnings on the HUD. I knew the car had this but since there are a million speedcameras in Belgium this means constant bongs. But! You can silence all the bongs and have it on the HUD instead! It even counts down to where the camera is exactly. Also white speed = ok, orange speed = slightly over the limit, red= fine imminent

7A253BA5-A4EF-4F8A-8CAF-DDAA6198F300.jpeg

2) speedcamera warnings on the HUD.
lol super illegal in Germany 🤣

Also: you actually get variable tariffs as a private consumer? I am envious. We have like one or two energy suppliers that are capable of this, but the rest of the German energy landscape is too backwards to even think of that 😐
(And because of that even with an EV it’s barely ever worth it and mostly just a toy for nerds)

Yes! In wintertime we have higher electricity prices for daytime hours, so I schedule the car's charging for the night instead along with the necessary pre-heating. The savings aren't big with our current cheap contract, but if the prices rise significantly in a year it'll come very handy.

Super illegal? Why?
I did get a sort of warning when I turned them on saying 'this may not comply with all local laws etc don't sue us if you get a ticket' but I thought this was meant for France where all sort of warnings are banned.... amusingly there is loophole in the law that allows for warnings for "Points of interest" as long as you don't specify it's a speedcamera....

With regards to electricity prices, well it's always been that way in .be, since we have a lot of nuclear power, and you can't kind of turn those down at night, so ages ago (in the 70s) we thought it was a good idea to light up our entire highway network to use the electricity... After some consideration this seemed pointless to use electricity just for that so they introduced a day/night pricing scheme.

So at night when there's excess production of electricity, the price drops quite substantially, so everyone generally programs their dishwasher, laundry machine, and any other device that uses a lot of power to start after 10 pm.
IIRC my tariff goes from 0,28€/kwh to 0,16€/kwh at night so thats nearly halved, so it adds up if you do it daily like I do. It's not (yet) a completely flexible system which looks at the actual price at this very moment. I hear that since it's been very sunny and windy lately, the actual electricity cost is around 0, but then again in winter when there's no sun or wind it'll be a lot more expensive

This is a temporary thing I guess, since as of next year they'll be changing to peak tariffs ie your price per kwh rises of you consume a lot of electricity at once, ie 5 kw for an hour, instead of 1 kw for 5 hours. I'll bet a lot of electric cars will start to charge earlier ,and for a longer time to circomvent this