Nordschleife Ringmeet Thread

I am sorry to offend you now, but you are exactly what is wrong with the Ring right now. British people desperately trying to beat laptimes with ill-suited cars. Seriously, a car full of stuff with smoke coming from brakes and still timing your laptimes? Be happy you didn't ruin your car completely or spill fluid all over the track!

I wasn't particularly pushing it and all the times were got retrospectively off a small video camera I had on the front of the car. I had no idea what times I was doing until that night when I downloaded the footage. As soon as I felt the brakes fading I backed off and started coasting into corners and had no more issues. My car was no more ill-suited than a lot of other things I saw going round, most of which were German.

Last edited:
So it would seem that I will be in Germany because of one of dad's conferences being in Berlin from 4th June to 8th June (probably 10th because of planeflight etc) June at least and I was thinking of a FinalGear minimeet at the ring. Most likely we will diverge from Paris (flight change there) and I will head to Cologne for ease of transport.

Who's up?

So it would seem that I will be in Germany because of one of dad's conferences being in Berlin from 4th June to 8th June (probably 10th because of planeflight etc) June at least and I was thinking of a FinalGear minimeet at the ring. Most likely we will diverge from Paris (flight change there) and I will head to Cologne for ease of transport.

Who's up?
I'm up for a beer in Berlin.

It?s probably way too early to say this, but I think I?ll be hitting the ring a lot less this year. The year-pass has gotten stupidly expensive, and there?s the (small) risk of things suddenly going properly downhill and the pass becoming invalid. And the weekends have been getting a bit too busy for my taste to drive with the normal tickets, ie being more or less stuck with using the main entrance. And then there?s the fact that I?ve rediscovered my love for that wonderful track in the Ardennes...

Reviving this thread for some news: Tourist drive prices on the Nordschleife will rise again for 2014. ? 27 per lap, ? 100 for a 4-lap ticket, ? 209 for nine laps. Well, that's not real news. But this is: The ticket can also be used for drives on the GP track, with one Nordschleife lap equivalent of 15 minutes free driving on the GP track. I don't know if that's relevant to any of us at Ringmeet or other occasions, but it can't hurt to know.

Source: N?rburgring.de.

Sounds like a giggle!

I just went to the n?rburgring site and the next tourist drives on the GP track are on the 1. January 1970.

Funny question: What vehicle was usable in your family at that date?

My Grandfather should have had a green Opel Rekord C, but my mothers memory is vague at that point.
On the other branch of the family I recall a VW 1500 in that period.

I think my grandfather and uncle might have had a Kadett B at that time (family car shared between father and older son). My father was 16 at that time, my uncle 18.

I just went to the n?rburgring site and the next tourist drives on the GP track are on the 1. January 1970.

Around 1970? My mother and her first husband had a Renault 4 with terminal rust problems... and my dad probably was on the first of a series of BMW 02s. My paternal grandparents were already dead, and as my grandfather on my mother's side was working for VW, I guess he was driving a Beetle of a Typ 3.

Last edited:
Not really, heard of it the first time. But I might have a look.
I'm crossing the Rhein @ Brohl-L?tzing atm.
Edit: about to do the first lap of the year @ 12:55

Last edited:
Anybody else planning on attending the 24h-race in June? I have approved leave the two weeks around the race so I want to arrive on Thursday and leave on Monday, camping all the weekend. It isn't cheap (a ticket Thursday to Sunday costs 66 Euros, camping an additional 45 Euros), but I think it's worth it.

My current vacation plans around that time are for Himmelfahrt to a week after Pfingsten (mostly sailing), so that's a week too late... but nothing's set in stone yet. I'll keep it in mind in case things change (again :sigh:...), sounds like fun on a bun.

I?ll be doing the other 24h race this year, including the camping bit. Since I?m not much of a camper I don?t think I?ll be doing it for two consecutive weekends...

But, since my friends still think it?s winter and it?s boring to go alone, I am open to suggestions if anyone wants to do a tourist weekend...

I just bought a ticket for the 24h-race from Friday to Sunday so I'll be there. Anybody else who jumps on the bus spontaneously?