• The development of any software program, including, but not limited to, training a machine learning or artificial intelligence (AI) system, is prohibited using the contents and materials on this website.

Normal Tires vs Racing Tires

andyhui01

Forum Addict
Car(s)
00' Subaru Forester GT
since Tire wear is concern in S2... I decided to try both tires for 10 laps and see the diff and weigh it out to decide which tires to use for future 10-20 lap races...

Normal Tires (btw, it just for the front, back were still racing because they barely wear out)

Take about 2-3 laps to warm up, was running wide every corner for the first few laps and the car understeered badly due to its lack of grip

Once Tires warm up, you can push it to the limits like racing tires for the next few laps...

round about lap 9, you could feel the tire is loosing Grip again...

Racing Tires

practically warmed up when going into the second lap, driving to the limits till about lap 6... felt the tires start loosing grip, kinda like Normal tires at lap 9... by lap 8-9, had to drive cautiously or else you'll just spin or understeer....

So... if it was a 10lap race... I think I'll opt for Normal tires in the future... unless of course if we have to pit... what does everyone else think?

Re: Normal Tires vs Racing Tires

andyhui01 said:
what does everyone else think?

I think you should go outside a bit more.. :)

To be honest, i myself couldn't get good times after 5 laps with the raceing tires.

We also have to remember that pitting takes ages. And i belive in a 10 lap, or maybe even 20 that its not worth it. Pitting that is..

That's usefull info, gonna try it myself, I think I had racing tyres and they were gone so fast. Maybe the GTi's will last a bit longer too now..

Racing Tires

practically warmed up when going into the second lap, driving to the limits till about lap 6... felt the tires start loosing grip, kinda like Normal tires at lap 9... by lap 8-9, had to drive cautiously or else you'll just spin or understeer....

So... if it was a 10lap race... I think I'll opt for Normal tires in the future... unless of course if we have to pit... what does everyone else think?

in what car?

in gt turbo, it takes me about 4 laps to properly warm up "racing" (road super) tires, and then they last for another 10 laps or so, till they get too hot (70 degrees on tread)

...but that greatly depends on driving style, and car setup..

nitemare how long do your front tires last on bw reversed with the gt?

ok i just tried out normal tires. with the setup i use they are no good. they wear out just as quickly as the road super tires. maybe they last 1/2lap more or so, but it takes ages to warm them up and they have much less grip and i loose a lot of time. i also did a simple test, drifting. dirfted one lap, tires gone, the same as with road super tires. so im gonna stick to my road super tires.

Same here... Its good for NA driftin (less grip :mrgreen: ) but it aint no good for circuit race :yucky:

nitemare said:
in what car?

in gt turbo, it takes me about 4 laps to properly warm up "racing" (road super) tires, and then they last for another 10 laps or so, till they get too hot (70 degrees on tread)

...but that greatly depends on driving style, and car setup..

I did it in a N/A GT.... hmm, I can start pushing for 1:38 laps on the second lap with racing tires.... I already find my car unbelievably undrivable by the time I'm lap 8 touching 50+ degrees....

and about my driving style, if you race with us on weekend, you can tell that I don't wear out my tires that quick.... with Normal Tires... I average about 1:39-1:40 throughout the 10lap race... with racing tires, I hit 1:38 for about 4laps and then it goes down to 1:40 and by lap 9&10, its 1:41-1:42... I think when I get home, I'm going to time how long it takes for me to complete 10laps on both sets... but personally, I prefer normal tires, I seem to screw up less when the tires heat it

How come you guys get so much out of your tires? I practiced a bit last night, doing 5 lap races, and for the first 3 laps grip is great, but after that, it goes steadily downhill. 5 laps and my tires are pretty much toast :shock: Am I running to much camber/toe? I don't know what it's set at, I'd have to check

it varies depending on your setup as well... and of course camber/toe... e.g. my Setup is fine for forward races, but for Rev... by lap 5, there hitting 60degrees

Jostyrostelli said:
That's usefull info, gonna try it myself, I think I had racing tyres and they were gone so fast. Maybe the GTi's will last a bit longer too now..

Maybe the GTi's will last a bit longer too now.. I hope to be like that! :thumbsup: I will try! ...

I need setup for GTI! The tail starts slideing very easily ... its very sensitive at braking distances! :? ... and my tires lost very quickly! :thumbsdown: Where should i serach for setup? S2 i mean ... could u help me! :roll:

... problem solved ... found some setup! 8)

n00b question.. But where can I see the tire temps? I found the forces thing but I can't seem to find any temps?

Edit: nevermind, I found it by pressing all keys on the keyboard ;)

how can you get the tires up to 60degrees without the upper layer being all red and having an uncontrollable car? with the gt i get them up to 52-54 max with a bit of sliding around, but after a lap they drop back to 50 which makes hell of a difference :cry:
since the optimal temperature is said to be 60, i was wondering how to get there? :think:

it depends how you drive... if I recall correctly, it was either you or josty who likes to skid ALOT... I generally try not to make my car skid as it looses time and more importantly, it wears out your tires and causes uneven wear

i like to drift a lot but i dont like sliding when im going for a quick time, mancs's style is to get the tires cry in every corner :)

:lol: ... I always seem to catch up with GTi in 5-lap races because by the 4th to 5th lap, his tires are already smoking, I have no idea how you manage to do that :lol: