North American Car & Truck of the Year: Chevy Malibu and CX-9 (???)

Mischief007

Car(s)
1995 Chevy Camaro Z28, 04 VW Jetta GLS
The fifteenth annual North American Car and Truck of the Year Awards marked the beginning of the 2008 North American International Auto Show. Hosted by Tony Swan of Car and Driver, the North American Car and Truck of the Year Awards are chosen by a select group of 45 automotive journalists who represent media outlets in the United States and Canada.

http://news.windingroad.com/body-st...ias-north-american-car-and-truck-of-the-year/

I have no problem with the Malibu. Hey I'm a GM guy so it is all good news for me.

Now, Mazda CX-9. Truck of the year? What the hell have they been smoking? Wouldn't it be better to call it SUV or SAV or whatever-the-fuck-the-next-hip-acronym-is. When I hear Truck of the year, these models come into my head: GMT900s (GMs twins), Dodge Ram, Ford F150, Toyota Tundra, Nissan Titan, and I guess the wannabe Honda. It is absolutely ridiculous to call a CX-9 a truck.

^ It's always been car and truck of the year. Even the other candidates for truck of the year aren't even trucks. The Tahoe is a truck based SUV, but the Enclave and CX9 are both crossovers.

The Mazda CX-9 was Motor Trend's SUVOTY. It's a really nice "truck" in my opinion.

It's not a truck...neither of those are trucks.

How on earth does a sedan on stilts become truck of the year? It doesn't possess any truck capability whatsoever. It can't even go off-road or tow, the most important criteria..

No complaints about the Malibu, it is a step forward in the right direction for GM.

the mazda is ok. i can understand why thatd win. and im happy as hell for the malibu! the new one looks great and the interior is real nice too. i havent driven one but everyone says there real nice. the CTS is a close second too :p

I love Mazda, but I HATE the CX-9.

Probably because I love what Mazda used to be. Wierd, but fun to drive vehicles. They are de-evolving into another completely bland Japanese marque, with nothing to offer but milquetoast sedans and crossovers.

I think Vette Boss is the only one that got it. I don't care that the CX-9 won but it won the wrong damn category. It is not a truck.