Northern California/North Central Valley Meet

Northern California/North Central Valley Meet

• Total voters

nouseferaname90

I was driving down the 5 freeway from Tracy, and stopped in Patterson for gas. I looked across from where I exited, and there was a perfect driving road, and looked at it on google maps. It has access from both the bay area and the central valley.

Essentially, the road is a useless bypass from Patterson to San Jose with some parks along the way. The freeway is much faster (around half the time), so from my deduction, I think it is not a very crowded road.

here is a map of the route (the actual road to be used)
http://img402.imageshack.**/img402/8217/fiatpanda.png
Not sure about elevation changes on it, but there are plenty of twisties.

And here is a map of the freeway version
http://img257.imageshack.**/img257/8520/americano.png

So, there are options for this route. People need to decide from which side to start, as we will most likely take the freeway going one way, and the road the other way (in order to save time, and so it is not a 5 hour drive). The options are starting at the San Jose Country Club or starting in Patterson. remember though, it will be the same distance.
On the san jose side, there may be some traffic up to the Grant Park from people going camping or eating a lunch. after that, it should be clear. the other way should be clear until the park.

Timing
It will take place on a saturday or sunday during the summer to try to get the most amount of people on the drive. I'm thinking June or July.

Please post or vote to express your interest. I'm not sure about restaurants, but if people want to, we can arrange to bring our own food and eat at one of the two parks along the way.

Last edited:
For those of you interested, I'm moving the date to July. I've suddenly gotten swamped with stuff in June.

That's the road that goes past the Observatory, yes?

It's interesting, but do keep in mind it is really, really slow and tight from the Observatory down into the San Jose area. It was built as a path for horses to pull equipment up to the Observatory, so a low climb gradient was critical, but making it "fast" was not...it's a series of very tight turns.

In short, despite the looks, it's not one of the great driving roads in the area.

Steve

May I suggest an alternative route?

Last edited:
Not huge if you time it well. I know that many other drivers enjoy driving "spiritedly" on this track, but you do occasionally run into some doddering old fool towing around a kayak with his Priapism. Last time I was there I did see a team of audis running the lucas valley rd though, 2 tuned Ur-quattros and an RS2.

I'm going to be visiting family in the East Bay this July, so I'd be up for this, assuming I can get a ride with someone. :)

Pick sometime in late July and I should make it.. Just need new tired on the GTI and I am ready go run!