Not a Mustang, so it must be a Miata (2017 Mazda MX-5 RF GT)

thevictor390

Teen Wankeler
Car(s)
'17 Mazda MX-5 RF, '89 Toyota Blizzard SX5
I love the RX-8, and its versatility is nearly irreplaceable, but it is not a car I want to deal with maintaining as it ages. It's also a bit harsh in traffic and on bumpy roads. So after a bit of test driving and a lot of searching, I settled on the replacement:

lgu7Z2E.jpg

ZyYMFyc.jpg

dzU0But.jpg

x1J8x1E.jpg

I drove a few cars before settling on the MX-5. Civic Si: I just couldn't get the hang of the turbo lag, torque steer, and high bite point on the clutch. 370z had a dated interior and the clutch was truly abominable. It had some sort of compensatory spring that kicked in halfway through the throw that did nothing but prevent you from shifting smoothly. Toyota 86 was a lot of fun and easily my second choice, but it felt a bit cheap and was not the most comfortable commuter car.

As soon as I drove an RF, I knew it was the one. There was almost not adjustment period from driving my RX-8, and yet a lighter clutch and steering made it more relaxing to drive. It's quiter than the RX-8 at speed and more comfortable over bumps without losing any of the playfulness. Oh, and the roof comes off. That's basically cheating.

AA9YPqu.jpg

mEyEMc7.jpg

D72o4y4.jpg

A00W3DL.jpg

So, knowing exactly what I wanted, I spent quite a bit of time scouring the internet. I am not a negotiator, I fall in love and make terrible decisions. So I cast a wide net and looked for the lowest advertised price I could find in the country. Eventually I contacted a dealer in Florida who had a new-in-stock 2017 model for such a steep discount I couldn't refuse (and I even got a bit more below advertised price). It was a long painful purchase and shipping was not cheap, but when I brought my quote to local dealers, we were usually over $6000 apart. It was worth the extra time and effort.

Lx3RfPl.jpg

ESs8SZ6.jpg

Time will tell if I can handle daily driving such a small car. Driving itself is not an issue - it is in every way a better commuter than the RX-8. More comfortable, more efficient, more features, and just as fast. But interior storage space is somewhat limited, and rear visibility leaves a lot to be desired. Winter might be a struggle, at least I can't imagine it being worse than the RX-8.

f1wZAem.jpg

7sKpibK.jpg

This is my first car to even have automatic headlights or climate control, so I am pretty overwhelmed by things like lane assist, blind spot monitoring, and real time fuel economy charts. Haven't really formed a final opinion or explored all of the features in the head unit. The system does use a large front-facing camera which was placed in exactly the spot I would have wanted my dashcam, so installation was made a bit harder than anticipated. Luckily, the one and only 12V outlet is located deep under the passenger footwell, making it a nice hidden spot to plug in the dashcam semi-permanently instead of messing around with the fuse box like I had to do in the RX-8.

wGPiBph.jpg

OVDRxMw.jpg

And, obligatory:
iuik0UW.jpg

Whoa. I wasn't expecting that.
Great choice, great color. Have fun and enjoy. :D :thumbsup:

I've always been a bit unsure if I like the ND or not, but the coupé styling and the folding metal roof win me over with this one. The fact that with the roof down it reminds me of my Roadster probably has something to do with it too. Looks like a great laugh to drive too, enjoy it. :thumbup:

Finally, another ND on the forums! And being an RF, it complements mine nicely. ;)
Have fun with it!

And regarding the lack of space: It also spares you from friendly requests for help from friends who need something transported... :D

Right car, right spec, right colour. Other than "congrats", 'nuff said.

Nice to have another Miata around with a hard top that folds up!

Thanks everyone!

Matt2000;n3552065 said:
I've always been a bit unsure if I like the ND or not, but the coupé styling and the folding metal roof win me over with this one. The fact that with the roof down it reminds me of my Roadster probably has something to do with it too. Looks like a great laugh to drive too, enjoy it. :thumbup:

To me, the buttresses make it look a bit like it is mid-engined, or at least it is reminiscent of mid-engine designs. I definitely see the Roadster resemblance.

So far averaging 35-40 (US)mpg which is pretty crazy for me, coming from the very thirsty RX. The biggest disappointment so far is there have been too many days where it looked too much like rain for me to put the top down :D

leviathan;n3552198 said:
Very nice, welcome to the MX-5 club, enjoy your stay :p

Do we actually have a proper FG club?

That time I fixed my car with a hairdryer and a spoon.
rk8PMra.jpg

Washer fluid that came with the car could not handle sub-zero (farenheit) temperatures. I wasn't able to get a lot of it out so I've been trying to pump out what I can when it's warm enough.

I'm still confused by this one. If the car still had the factory fill, it would be a global capable fluid as the car is sold in many cold climate markets and Mazda would not have the complexity of having multiple different washer fluids on the line. The only thing I can think of is if the dealer in Florida drained the factory fluid and replaced it with that stuff they use to wash bugs off the windshield instead since that's a lot more relevant down there. But that's a lot of extra effort on the dealer's part, which again doesn't make much sense.

I'm still confused by this one. If the car still had the factory fill, it would be a global capable fluid as the car is sold in many cold climate markets and Mazda would not have the complexity of having multiple different washer fluids on the line. The only thing I can think of is if the dealer in Florida drained the factory fluid and replaced it with that stuff they use to wash bugs off the windshield instead since that's a lot more relevant down there. But that's a lot of extra effort on the dealer's part, which again doesn't make much sense.

It's probably a -10°c mix by default which usually won't work below -5°c :)

It's probably a -10°c mix by default which usually won't work below -5°c :)

Interesting that Mazda would use such a mild mix. It was -24°C in Michigan last week and I had no issues with my washer fluid, I'm also still on the factory fill.