Notebook with decent video card - advice needed

Spazatao

Lyon, France. Missing Rio de Janeiro, Brazil..
Car(s)
Taxis
Guys, my little Dell Athlon X2 is still going on pretty solid, with Windows 7 and all, but it simply can't get along with the use I'm having for it now. It's my only computer here in France, so everything is up to him: internet, papers, engineering softwares, Matlab, entertainement, etc... And worse, I'm heavily depending on Photoshop and Premiere now, due to a student's association I am part of. So, after 2,5 years, it's time for a change. My graphics card knowledge is a little rusty, I'm not on pair of what's what now, but I'd like to be able to play decently more modern games. I have no preference for Intel or AMD, would like as much RAM as possible but I don't mind a small-ish hard disk for today's standarts (I have a couple external drives where all my stuff is organised), I much prefer it to be fast, though.
I've seen a few ones at Dell, there are some Alienware stuff offered at around 1100-1300 euros. I could pay that, but I wonder if there isn't anything better out there for the price - or even something cheaper, if possible.

Only major restraint I have is: no Hewlett-Packard, please. I've had enough headaches with hardware from them, don't think I'd be willing to try another time.

Thanks!

thevictor390

Teen Wankeler
Car(s)
'17 Mazda MX-5 RF, '89 Toyota Blizzard SX5
I'm not familiar with the market in Europe, but over here, Best Buy has some good deals on Asus gaming notebooks. Usually $800-900 for a 2.5 GHz Core 2, 4 GB RAM, 9800m/GTX260m.

awdrifter

I'm not in Europe so the I'm not sure about the prices. I always hear that EU hardware prices are about 1-to-1 to US prices. So assuming a $1300 USD laptop will cost ?1300, you can get a very nice laptop for that price.

I'm not too familiar with Photoshop, but I believe it can use Nvidia CUDA for acceleration, so if you're doing a lot of photoshop, go with an Nvidia card.

You can get an ASUS G51JX-X1 with Core i7m and Nvidia GTS360m for $1200 USD, that should be more than enough for your needs.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834220700

Cnet review
http://alatestreview-cnet.com.com/l...subj=Asus+G51J+3D&tag=feed&part=alatest2-cnet