Now I Need Help FInding A New T.V.

Polygon

Car(s)
LeBaron GTC, Stealth R/T TT, N-SRT-4
So, I upgraded my main computer. So, I got a bug up my ass to use the old parts to built an HTPC and rtire the X-Box 360. With that I have an old CRT that isn't even capable of 420p. So I need a new T.V.

I'm looking for something under $1,000. I sit about five feet from the T.V. so a 40", maybe 42" would fit the bill. It also has to be able to hook up to a PC without issue. I've seen a couple that have some issue with the PC connection. In the price range I've found plenty of options with 120Hz which I don't want any set at 60Hz. Also, I decided to go with LCD.

Here are a few that I've found that caught my eye:

Samsung LN40A630.

Samsung LN40B630

Sony BRAVIA V-Series KDL-40V5100

Let me know what you think and post up any suggestions you might have.

Samsung is the way to go! :D

(5 samsung TV's in my home :D)

meh... samsungs are overpriced.

that Sony Bravia you picked is priced rather well, should get that instead.

Pity... you missed the 40" 1080p Toshiba special for $499.00 on newegg.

Actually, I suggest you head to newegg.com and check if they still stock left for the have the thanksgiving special.

Any and all of the above are good makes - I like my Samsungs (x2 32" in our bed room and 26" in my daughters) but the Mother in Law has a Bravia and it is rather good too. I have a 42" Toshiba 1080p and it is fine. I have a Sharpe in the kitchen 32" LCD older but best for sound. Up to 42" I'd go LCD over that and you are in Plasma land me thinks.

While you may think internet on tv is good, its not really. Here I get Youtube and Weather and USAToday lol. I can also stream stuff over the network, but its not much point when I've got a laptop which can stream stuff as its still downloading.

I would go with the Sony myself. Samsung's are nice IF you get a Samsung panel. I know quite a few of their lower priced LCD's use different panels.

A TV with the same model number like the B500 can be made with 3 different panels made from 3 different makers. Some of these panels can be really shitty. At least with the Sony you are pretty guaranteed a decent TV no matter what.

Walmart has the Sony S5100 for $719 here locally so you might want to shop around.

I have a larger version of that Sony and love it.

Well, the A630 just went back up to $1,300. <_<

The Sony is still int he running and I'm still mulling over those links. I also found another one that caught my eye:

Sharp LC40E77U.

For me, I'd go with this one. :) Better pic quality, and the Ethernet connector for TV internet feed is a plus.

Oddly enough, it's now not available. :?

Woah! Thanks for all the links. :)

While you may think internet on tv is good, its not really. Here I get Youtube and Weather and USAToday lol. I can also stream stuff over the network, but its not much point when I've got a laptop which can stream stuff as its still downloading.

Yeah, I don't care about the internet feature. It'll be connected to an HTPC and I can use that if I want to.

Thanks for all the suggestions and links everyone.

I went to the local Best Buy to take a look at some different models. They had quite a few of 120Hz models right below the 60Hz equivalents which was really nice. It didn't matter what brand or size I was looking at the results were the same. I really do not like 120Hz panels. During fast motion the artifacting is just horrible while the 60Hz remains clear. After seeing this I would venture to call 120Hz and 240Hz snake oil. To be honest with you, I couldn't even see a different in motion blur between the the two. At least on the 40-46" panels.

I think I came to a decision:

SAMSUNG 40" 16:9 6ms 1080p LCD HDTV w/ Touch of Color Design - LN40B550.

I'm just debating with ordering from Newegg with free shipping or getting it at Best Buy. They're the same price but I have to pay about $50 in tax at Best Buy.

Hmm......

I went to the local Best Buy to take a look at some different models. They had quite a few of 120Hz models right below the 60Hz equivalents which was really nice. It didn't matter what brand or size I was looking at the results were the same. I really do not like 120Hz panels. During fast motion the artifacting is just horrible while the 60Hz remains clear. After seeing this I would venture to call 120Hz and 240Hz snake oil. To be honest with you, I couldn't even see a different in motion blur between the the two. At least on the 40-46" panels.

Good call. 120Hz+ is just a gimmick to get you to spend more.