Now my files are missing...

LeVeL

Forum Addict
C-drive root files are missing but the folders and their contents are intact. Very strange. Tried showing hidden files and searching for one of the files - no go. Tried a file recovery program and it didn't find any of the missing files. Did a system restore and still no luck. Any suggestions?

Which OS and which files are you missing? My Windows 7 Pro x64 has just three files in C-drive root: bootmgr, BOOTSECT.BAK and pagefile.sys. The bootmgr could be missing since it's on a different partition, the BOOTSECT.BAK is just some backup file and the pagefile could be on a different partition, too.

Which recovery program did you try? My weapon of choice is Recuva, you should try to minimize write operations on partition C, but as you already did a system restore it could well be that the files are overwritten in the meantime.

Which recovery program did you try? My weapon of choice is Recuva, you should try to minimize write operations on partition C, but as you already did a system restore it could well be that the files are overwritten in the meantime.
Thanks, great program; I was able to recover certain files but a number of important ones are gone :(

Thanks, great program; I was able to recover certain files but a number of important ones are gone :(

Sorry Dude, but at least you got some of the little f'kers back.

I had a thing with Windows Vista & AVG screwing with eachother and lost some files in the recovery too. Luckily, I had a USB stick with some backups on it and some stored on teh Googles.

Annoying for you. :sad:

Yup, mine too!

Just remember that every email you have sent an attached file is on Gmail (or whatever) and all pics are on Armedcats/FG etc., so you may have things scattered around the Interwebs that you'd thought "lost".

Hope this cheered you up a bit.

:smile:

I can only think of two important files that were lost: my beer list, which was a 4+ year effort and almost 500 beers long (I can recreate most of it but it would take a long time browsing the beer thread here and going through my display case of empty bottles) and a password file (subtle hints that only I could understand) but I guess that's what the "Forgot My Password" buttons are for.

What sucks is that it's really my own damn fault. On Friday I was hastily downloading a bunch of random video editing software and must have gotten some real crap. I've been having issues ever since. Kicking myself argh!
Triple-check your system for malware, reinstall if in doubt. Malware these days not only comes with pirated software, but also bundled with semi-legit downloads of free-ish software (drive-by installation: The program's installer comes bundled with some crap you don't want. The most infamous example probably is the Ask toolbar bundled with Oracle's Java Updates).

Last edited:
I can only think of two important files that were lost: my beer list, which was a 4+ year effort and almost 500 beers long (I can recreate most of it but it would take a long time browsing the beer thread here and going through my display case of empty bottles) and a password file (subtle hints that only I could understand) but I guess that's what the "Forgot My Password" buttons are for.

No, that's what your backups are for.

Let me guess, no backups?

Like a lot of us you've learnt the hard way that backups really are important. Now buy one of these and put your important stuff on it.

A29G_130135418812167193K9keczPELr.jpg

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=9SIA2DC0SK1086

also remember to take the backups regularly