Now that series 2 is locked in, what would we like to see in it?

It's not a segment idea, but I think they have to acknowledge the Top Gear world in some way (putting up the UK crew on WWTT in the last episode doesn't count).
Just talk about it in some way - an offhand reference here, a "remember when..." there. It just seems weird, especially in a 7:30 Monday SBS timeslot to ignore that the vast majority of their viewers have been watching Top Gear for years, and that shops are full of Top Gear videos and merchandise, and (gasp!) some people have even been known to download episodes from the internet! Especially when USA and Russia get going.
I understand the magazine is a different business with different licencing, but it's a shame they couldn't work together more (would have loved to see the R8 driving to Birdsville and up Big Red).

It's not a segment idea, but I think they have to acknowledge the Top Gear world in some way (putting up the UK crew on WWTT in the last episode doesn't count).
Just talk about it in some way - an offhand reference here, a "remember when..." there. It just seems weird, especially in a 7:30 Monday SBS timeslot to ignore that the vast majority of their viewers have been watching Top Gear for years, and that shops are full of Top Gear videos and merchandise, and (gasp!) some people have even been known to download episodes from the internet! Especially when USA and Russia get going.
I understand the magazine is a different business with different licencing, but it's a shame they couldn't work together more (would have loved to see the R8 driving to Birdsville and up Big Red).

I thought TGA have dropped in references to TGUK. E.g. First episode with Warren's shark cage moke challenge don't they make a reference to how the UK mob wouldn't be able to do it?

Why should TGA spend their time reminiscing about TGUK when they SHOULD be making a (good) name for themselves? Likewise, TGUK doesn't need to focus any attention on TGA. The instant TGA screens anything from TGUK to "acknowledge the world of Top Gear", they'll be bagged out for using fillers by the wavering public.

Just because TGA was in the 7:30 Monday timeslot doesn't mean they are stealing the timeslot from each other (they're only screening TGUK series 11 on SBS at the moment!).

It isn't so much what I would like to see ...

It isn't so much what I would like to see ...

The one thing I would like TGA to pay particular attention to in the next series is the SOUND TRACK ... the first series was generic and dull as dinner with the Daddos.

They did use some popular songs here and there in series one, so, it would not be uncharted territory for them to expand away from the ambient drone to something that provides a little more dramatic counterpoint .. or perhaps even, a little humour.

I think this should be supported!!! :)

I wouldn't mind seeing the Aussie boys take on TGUK. When Clarkson and Hammond are in Aus for Top Gear Live, they should do a sieries of challenges with Charlie and Steve. Maybie something like Steve and Charlie in Aussie cars (Ford and Holden) and Clarkson and Hammond in European cars (BMW, Audi etc.)

How about some slo-mo shots to mix it up with all the fancy editing.

B&S Ball ute antics.

What makes the quintessential surfers vehicle?

All three presenters enter the Melb F1 Celebrity challenge. (or Bathurst)

Race against the train across the nullabor.

Hummer verses public transport through Sydney peak hour.

Maybie something like Steve and Charlie in Aussie cars (Ford and Holden) and Clarkson and Hammond in European cars (BMW, Audi etc.)

other way around, put Steve and James (Warren can sit on the sidelines and draw his stupid cartoons)in euro cars, Richard and Jeremy in the aussie muscle (they both loved the vauxhall Monaro)

A friend of mine told me about some annual classic car rallies recently. I'd like to see the TGA boys have a go at these (and other less-classic ones) and give them some proper publicity :)

A friend of mine told me about some annual classic car rallies recently. I'd like to see the TGA boys have a go at these (and other less-classic ones) and give them some proper publicity :)

That would be awesome, similar to when the UK boys raced at Silverstone; which is still one of my favourite episodes!

Jennifer Hawkins
DING DING DING! we have a winner. I can't think of anything better then Jennifer Hawkins and super cars.
BUT! do you think she would really look the part talking mechanic slang, i doubt it.
and i aint sure if it has been mentioned all ready because i couldn't be fucked reading the second page, but i would like to see them do some challenges against TGUK, like TGUK did with that German car show.
Or
around the country in cars under $5000 or some international road trips.

And now that Charlie Cox has left the show and we now have to deal with James Morison (who i reckon is a bit of a poof, and is not funny or entertaining at all) i'd just like to see the guests a little more relaxed because you could tell that they were just sitting the thinking "who the fuck is this guy?"

Another idea...

How about getting a great car from the 60's, 70's or 80's and matching it with an equal car from 2008/9.

Start with something like an iconic Jag, Porsche or maybe Ford and match them up against a new car.

ie; could a 60's luxury Jags modern day equivilant be a Hyundai Grandeur?

Would a 60's Porsche only match a Toyota Aurion around a track?

Is a Kombi's equivilant a Kia Carnivale???

:?

I'd like to see either of these two things:
(i) Sympathetic engineering (a sort of tribute to Peter Brock). Get a Commodore, set a challenge, and modify them so that the car that breaks down closest to the set goal -- and therefore isn't overly engineered to achieve a certain outcome -- wins. Buggered if I know what sort of challenges to set, but I like the idea.
(ii) Formula Ford. Buy a secondhand Ford, build a spaceframe chassis with double wishbones and add *all* the bits and pieces (excluding body and three of the seats) from the donor car. Money saved from the purchase can be spent on the engine. Fastest around the track in the Stig's hands wins.
Oh, and someone has to do the "Wow, a Porsche 911 is really more fuel-efficient than a Camry?" road test.
Aahthangyooveremusch.

Last edited:
Go ahead and bash me for this comment. But as long as it has the funny accents, I really don't care.

One thing that will really interest me with Series 2 ... Steve Pizzati. Now he's done Top Gear Live and worked directly with Clarkson and Hammond, it will be very interesting to see how he performs in S2. He's arguably had a fantastic work experience opportunity with those two guys, and whilst he seemed a little out of his depth in parts of TGL, considering his relative lack of media experience, he did quite well overall.

Last edited: