Now that series 2 is locked in, what would we like to see in it?

stuvik

Car(s)
'12 Toyota RAV4 Cruiser AWD
I was happy to hear that TGA was going into a second series. The thing is, will the franchise keep their stranglehold on the TGA content or will they listen to some new and considered ideas? (by hopefully reading these forums :mrgreen: )

Here's something that popped in my head while driving last weekend down the NSW coast. I encountered one of the most fun stretches of road I have ever had the pleasure to drive:
http://maps.google.com.au/maps?f=q&hl=en&geocode=&q=Moss+Vale+Rd&sll=-34.685028,150.511065&sspn=0.05131,0.060425&ie=UTF8&ll=-34.682664,150.50364&spn=0.025656,0.04652&t=h&z=15
On the downhill run, between popping my eyes back into their sockets and steering at the same time, all I could think of was 'This is a road Top Gear Australia should drive'. This lead me to think 'how many other fantastic roads does Australia have?'. It even had me second guessing whether TGUK really found the best driving road in the world.

When I got home I jumped onto Google Maps, scrolled north-east of this road and noticed:
http://maps.google.com.au/maps?f=q&hl=en&geocode=&q=Moss+Vale+Rd&sll=-34.685028,150.511065&sspn=0.05131,0.060425&ie=UTF8&ll=-34.570189,150.650024&spn=0.205525,0.372162&t=h&z=12
I now want to free up next weekend, empty my trusty old Corolla of all excess weight and tackle this road too! :D

It's not an original concept but having TGA find each state's best driving roads would work pretty well. In Australia it would take considerably longer to "run out of road" which means there's a chance for TGA to make something of it and fill the Ronald McDonald (who actually eats his own product) sized shoes they're in.

So, with the vast knowledge within these forums, what things could TGA do [or drop] to make people say "This is awesome. Only Top Gear Australia could pull that off!"? :cool:

Cheers.

Here's something that popped in my head while driving last weekend down the NSW coast. I encountered one of the most fun stretches of road I have ever had the pleasure to drive:
http://maps.google.com.au/maps?f=q&hl=en&geocode=&q=Moss+Vale+Rd&sll=-34.685028,150.511065&sspn=0.05131,0.060425&ie=UTF8&ll=-34.682664,150.50364&spn=0.025656,0.04652&t=h&z=15
On the downhill run, between popping my eyes back into their sockets and steering at the same time, all I could think of was 'This is a road Top Gear Australia should drive'. This lead me to think 'how many other fantastic roads does Australia have?'. It even had me second guessing whether TGUK really found the best driving road in the world.

Yeah, that is one of the roads leading into and out of Kangaroo Valley. They are great roads. I mentioned that area to Warren and Steve after filming of episode 5. Warren asked where I was from and when I said Wollongong he said that he had lived here for three years and that they had been filming recently in Port Kembla. I wanted to point out that there were much better roads in the Illawarra region and I mentioned Kangaroo Valley and Macquarie Pass. Steve agreed that Kangaroo Valley was good and mentioned that he also liked Jambaroo Mountain Pass.

When I got home I jumped onto Google Maps, scrolled north-east of this road and noticed:
http://maps.google.com.au/maps?f=q&hl=en&geocode=&q=Moss+Vale+Rd&sll=-34.685028,150.511065&sspn=0.05131,0.060425&ie=UTF8&ll=-34.570189,150.650024&spn=0.205525,0.372162&t=h&z=12
I now want to free up next weekend, empty my trusty old Corolla of all excess weight and tackle this road too! :D

Both passes are in the second Google Maps link you posted.

Macquarie Pass
MacquariePass.png

Jamberoo Mountain Pass
JamberooMountainPass.png

If you do take on Macquarie Pass be sure to have respect for the cliffs, there are no guard-rails to stop you going over for most of the way. And stop in at the famous Robertson Pie Shop when you reach the top.;)

A full episode devoted to the three using two-wheel drive sedans to cross the continent Jack Absolom style (I remember him using a Sigma station wagon to travel the interior). Any losers have to drive a beetle or equivalent (Datsun 1200?).

I'd like to see them cut the celebrity lap and WWTT? board back to once every two weeks. They could alternate them. Celebrity lap one week, WWTT? the next. That would provide a little more time so thet they could fit more into the reviews and challenges. I'd also like to see the WWTT? board tweaked to include more debate and audience participation.

I'd like to see them cut the celebrity lap and WWTT? board back to once every two weeks. They could alternate them. Celebrity lap one week, WWTT? the next. That would provide a little more time so thet they could fit more into the reviews and challenges. I'd also like to see the WWTT? board tweaked to include more debate and audience participation.

:+1: I think that's a really good idea. Let's face it, we don't exactly have a huge bundle of 'celebrities' to get in the BSC, and it's usually my least favourite segment of each show (although James Morrison tonight looks like it'll be great). I'd like to see the guys giving their opinions of each other's choices for the WWTT board as well.

That would certainly allow for more variety in the show. Audience participation is lacking in TGA..though that was the case early on in TGUK too.

Being at opposite sides on the planet, they could've renamed the "cool wall" the "hot wall" so they could show what's hot and what's not (hey, the UK version can be cool, we can be hot :lol:). I'm not really a fan of the WWTT? board. Hopefully it'll go the way of the 'Love & Hate' board on TGUK :p

I was at the episode 5 filming too. They should've used Charlie's first take of introducing Shannon Nolls instead of the PC version they screened. More seats would have been nice too..and some bloody sound dampening on the roof so the show doesn't grind to a halt at the first sign of rain :lol:

Thanks for the tips on those mountain passes. Safety first! :cool:

I was at the episode 5 filming too. They should've used Charlie's first take of introducing Shannon Nolls instead of the PC version they screened.

The one where Charlie's phone rang just after the tractor/volvo segment and he wouldn't answer it it, commenting "I've got a bad feeling about that."

:lol:

It's not an original concept but having TGA find each state's best driving roads would work pretty well. In Australia it would take considerably longer to "run out of road" which means there's a chance for TGA to make something of it and fill the Ronald McDonald (who actually eats his own product) sized shoes they're in.
Macquarie Pass is an extraudinary bit of road. Shame it doesn't last very long. But Moss Vale Rd that you pointed out is real good fun! I prefer it going downhill because the cars chassis gets pushed more whereas going up hill, you rev the nuts out of it, which can also be fun.

I don't want TG to go there though. If they do - everyone will know about it and every man and his dog will clog it up.

Cox is the biggest problem for the show for me

I'm not trying to be a hater here, but i just don't care what he has to say, and i find him really awkward in regard to his interaction with the guests.

Other than that, make sure when they review a car they HAVE A POINT. Even if you love the car, top gear should be critical, when you do challengers, point out the pros and cons. Simply, it goes fast, here's some donuts is not acceptable.

I don't necessarily mean a fifth gear style thing, but about of consumer advice would be very nice.

Macquarie Pass is an extraudinary bit of road. Shame it doesn't last very long. But Moss Vale Rd that you pointed out is real good fun! I prefer it going downhill because the cars chassis gets pushed more whereas going up hill, you rev the nuts out of it, which can also be fun.

I don't want TG to go there though. If they do - everyone will know about it and every man and his dog will clog it up.

I saw my first Bentley Continental GT in its natural environment on Moss Vale Rd and my first Aston Martin on Jamberoo Mountain Rd.:cool:

More cocking about, more civil disobedience and more willful destruction.

Actually, yeah. Apart from dinging the front spoilers of a few Astras while lawn bowling and chucking some worthless old bombs about a paddock, they've been positively careful with their cars. They're being a bit nice.

They destroyed the Navara's tailgate and tore the front spoiler off the Forester. Charlie got airborne on the dunes with his Rav4.

I dont think theres much problem with the presenters themselves, in tonights episode with the desert challenge (in fact that was a good way to build some chemistry and friendship between the hosts) there was some good chemistry and even Charlie when simply talking in the car especially seemed to be at most in his natural element, perhaps this could be a tip as to where he is best used. Warren and Steve seem ok in the studio however, so perhaps one of them should take over the role of leading host, or maybe not have a leading host as such more mutural co-operation though not in the Fifth Gear style of course. Also as mentioned above they need to be more informative with their car reviews that said however I actually found the last bit with the desert to ocean challenge when coming down the river to be a good test of those respective cars and also a possible taster for how cars should be reviewed. Hopefully the second season they will make some amendments that follow these lines to some point.

I think if anything this episode showed that they're at least looking at peoples criticism and attempting to address it, eg the track filming was fine tonight I thought. So hopefully in season 2 when they film all the segments they can take on peoples criticisms and adjust accordingly.

Good point though if enough good roads are found then it may not be so bad ;)

I was being followed by a silver BMW when I went on the downhill run on Moss Vale Rd. I thought it was weird that I kept getting away from him at the turns in my puny Corolla...and with a boot full of scuba gear! :blink:
*cough* still within the speed limit of course :lol:

The uphill run was a bit less fun. You really do need 6 or more cylinders to make that entertaining :mrgreen:

So hopefully in season 2 when they film all the segments they can take on peoples criticisms and adjust accordingly.

Well they shouldn't pay too much attention to the criticism. Look at the UK show. Every time a new season starts you get people complaining that it has either too much cocking about or not enough. You can never please everyone.