Now THIS is a proper build thread!

A ruined Evo 6. :(
Are you mad? :blink:

Just goes to show what you can do when you have an unlimited supply of cash.
And skill. And knowledge. And determination. And imagination.

I just went back and read the thread more carefully. Wow. I am god smacked. The dude knows what he's talking about, too, worrying about balance more than overall weight, for example. Props. Serious props!

I love how the guy builds his own workshop.

I'd kill to have a workshop like that at home.

And skill. And knowledge. And determination. And imagination.

It really doesn't take much.

Most of what this guy did was rebuilding with different components. There wasn't much design and engineering work. This guy didn't show any special skill at all.

I say this in relation to people like the British guy who custom made turbos, inlet manifolds, adapted an Audi 6speed box and god knows what else for a Jaguar V12 and designed the entire chassis for his car too.
[YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hHh-g__UsRk[/YOUTUBE]

Or the Russian guy who MADE HIS OWN GEARBOX for his JET engined project car. http://jalopnik.com/5302246/awesome-defined-the-10+liter-radial+engined-goggomobil
[YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1TIdQFnUvCA[/YOUTUBE]

Or those Chinese brothers that made an F1 car!
http://jalopnik.com/5203610/chinese-brothers-build-working-f1-car-out-of-metal-scraps

You see, thats REAL SKILL. None of those guys look like they had anything close the budget this Evo dude had.

Any fool can buy new parts and replace old ones. And anyone who has read the manual enough times can strip the engine down too and replace connecting rods. And anyone who has taken shop class will be able to make a decent roll cage.

I've built many cars. It doesn't take much. I just know more than the average mechanic knows. But machining your own gearbox is real SKILL. And if you're doing it on a budget, more respect to you.

Evo guy just had LOTS of MONEY and TIME.

Last edited:

Most of what this guy did was rebuilding with different components. There wasn't much design and engineering work. This guy didn't show any special skill at all.

I say this in relation to people like the British guy who custom made turbos, inlet manifolds, adapted an Audi 6speed box and god knows what else for a Jaguar V12 and designed the entire chassis for his car too.

Or the Russian guy who MADE HIS OWN GEARBOX for his JET engined project car. http://jalopnik.com/5302246/awesome-defined-the-10+liter-radial+engined-goggomobil

Or those Chinese brothers that made an F1 car!
http://jalopnik.com/5203610/chinese-brothers-build-working-f1-car-out-of-metal-scraps

You see, thats REAL SKILL. None of those guys look like they had anything close the budget this Evo dude had.

Any fool can buy new parts and replace old ones. And anyone who has read the manual enough times can strip the engine down too and replace connecting rods. And anyone who has taken shop class will be able to make a decent roll cage.

I've built many cars. It doesn't take much. I just know more than the average mechanic knows. But machining your own gearbox is real SKILL. And if you're doing it on a budget, more respect to you.

Uhh... Listen, the day you piece together a parts list of that magnitude, put it all together (including welding on custom-designed and made parts), and go racing, get back to me. Sure, some of the guys you mentioned have brillian builds, but I still have massive respect for that Evo owner. Few people could do what he did.

So designing your own casing for an LSD, after dismantling the original one and deciding it isn't good enough or taking apart and then rebuilding a gearbox, with new parts, requires no special skill at all ?

Yeah, okay so he isn't as good as the dudes you posted....but that's like saying Rafael Nadal isn't as good as Roger Federer.

I don't care how you twist, turn, warp or mangle the build of this guy, he has some major skills, skills I dare to say nobody on this forum has.

Last edited:
Uhh... Listen, the day you piece together a parts list of that magnitude, put it all together (including welding on custom-designed and made parts), and go racing, get back to me. Sure, some of the guys you mentioned have brillian builds, but I still have massive respect for that Evo owner. Few people could do what he did.
I just think he has more money than skill. Thats all.

I don't care how you twist, turn, warp or mangle the build of this guy, he has some major skills, skills I dare to say nobody on this forum has.
I'm no trying to twist,turn, etc... his build. It takes a lot of work. It takes a lot of knowledge. But there are millions of guys like this. Just go to youtube and search. There are a gazillion aftermarket parts for Evos. Its an easy car to turn into a track car. Making a cover for a diff or replacing moon gears, isn't skill. It might be for someone who's never done an oil change. But in the land of project car builders, it isnt high up there

Last edited:
I just think he has more money than skill. Thats all.

I'm no trying to twist,turn, etc... his build. It takes a lot of work. It takes a lot of knowledge.

picardandrikerdoublefacnm1.jpg

RANT ALARM

[RANT]Seriously, who let you to the internet? When will it sink into your head, that this guy built his workshop, designed and machined parts himself that are sufficient to handle 700bhp and is also clever enough to worry more about balance and handling than looks? these things alone set him above your average guy who likes to mod his car faster. He took the longer route, did it the hard way, and even we Finns give our official nod of approval to that, and then you open your mouth and blurt out something absolutely ridiculous like that? Money alone doesn't make you fast. You need other skills too.[/rant]

Hell, I don't even like Evos and still I respect this project..

@ Aston Martin Evo 4 and Evo 5 must be modified so they can reach the true potential they possess. The rest (1,2,3,6,7,8,9,10) can crash and burn. Those two are the Best Evolutions IMHO.

Whether or not there have been better cars built for less money, it doesn't matter. That's a bad ass little Mitsubishi and that's really all there is to it. "CliveW"'s attention to detail, his engineering and fabrication skills are well above and beyond 99% of us gearheads. You've got to give credit were it's due.

Making a cover for a diff or replacing moon gears, isn't skill.

Ok, if that's not skill, then what about determining the weak points of diff casing? And on top of that, what about custom fabricating a new casing, on your own, so that those weak points are then eliminated? Is that skill, or is that just having a lot of cash to work with? :rolleyes:

Bah. Impreza is more of drivers car than any Evo. :p

Either way, this is fucking apeshit insane.

cxo is right, though.

Last edited:
Bah. Impreza is more of drivers car than any Evo. :p

I'm hearing this more and more often these days. Apparently the Evo is too easy to drive. Makes you look like Schumacher, Jeremy said.

Which is a good thing right?

I don't like the whole hatchback Sooby thing. I prefer the sedan.
The Evo 10 is a damn good looker.

Lancer comes with hatchback too, fool.

06 Impreza is the best looking car ever.

I said it.

Incoming neg-reps.

(Awesome car in the OT, btw)

06 Impreza is the best looking car ever.

I said it.

Incoming neg-reps.

(Awesome car in the OT, btw)

I hope that that's sarcasm. While I'm not part of the "Imprezas are fugly" crowd and I do think they look good, I wouldn't call the 06 "the best looking car ever".