Now this is just crossing the line...

I'm sorry about that "insult", but you provide some yourself so I sort of had to.
And it's not just a silly insult, it's true you know. Many schools in the U.S
do not teach evolution.

You dont know the ppl of my country to make that comment. I also posted that Bill Clinton reformed welfare so there WAS something wrong with it. We DID have many slackers otherwise it wouldnt have been changed into workfare. I'll believe you that Norway has a good welfare system but thinks work differently here. It doesnt mean we are selfish ppl. I like paying less taxes. I guess you dont feel the need to keep most of what you earn so as to help others and that is fine.

Just because he reformed it doesn't mean it was bad. Who said it was such
a failure really? Welfare is not throwing money at lazy people, there is a
difference. And if it becomes a problem only small touches is needed to
prevent such a problem.

In Norway if you earn more than about 50,000$ a year, which quite a lot
of people do, you'll have to pay 50% of what you earn in taxes. Im sure
this would never ever work in the U.S, but then again the "american dream"
is not the same dream over here. Let's just say there's a reason for this:
http://archives.cnn.com/2001/WORLD/europe/07/10/un.development/

And it's not just 2001. I would like to live in the U.S as well, so don't get
me wrong..

Just because he reformed it doesn't mean it was bad.

Not that it was bad but it wasnt working well. A reform was needed to make it better.

In Norway if you earn more than about 50,000$ a year, which quite a lot
of people do, you'll have to pay 50% of what you earn in taxes. Im sure
this would never ever work in the U.S, but then again the "american dream"
is not the same dream over here. Let's just say there's a reason for this:

Yes, one reason. Our countries have one major factor: size and population. The fact that we came up 6th on that link you showed me shows we are not a selfish nation but you do have to take this into consideration. I laughed when i saw it, your countries population is 4,574,560 (July 2004 est.). That is a drop in the bucket compared to ours, 293,027,571 (July 2004 est.). So its easier to be number 1 ranked by UN but the reality is that its easier for your country because you have HALF the population my city has. Thats amazing. NYC has roughly 8.5 - 9 million and you country has half that. Its something to be proud of but If we had even half a population we might be further up the list. Mind you most of the nations ahead of us have small populations compared to the USA.

1. Norway 4,574,560 (July 2004 est.)

2. Australia 19,913,144 (July 2004 est.)

3. Canada 32,507,874 (July 2004 est.)

4. Sweden 8,986,400 (July 2004 est.)

5. Belgium 10,348,276 (July 2004 est.)

6. United States 293,027,571 (July 2004 est.)

7. Iceland 293,966 (July 2004 est.)

8. Netherlands 16,318,199 (July 2004 est.)

9. Japan 127,333,002 (July 2004 est.)

10. Finland 5,214,512 (July 2004 est.)

I guess US would be number one for countries with a population over 50,000,000 :wink:

Canada, the leader for the last six years 8)

BUT

I'm not sure of the specifics, but Canada's highest income bracket (around 50 thousand, which is very common) is 47%.

Then if you want to buy anything, you pay 15% sales tax. If you own property (eg. a house), then you pay property tax.

It's absolutely insane.

The government is a big, slow, lazy machine that completely wastes money. If you've been to any government run institution you know that the people get paid to stand around all day. I don't want my money funding the CBC, or "the arts".

We have homeless people here. We have roads that haven't been fixed. Canada isn't a utopia.

I've been to the US, and I can't tell where our tax money is being spent in comparison.

That's why there is a "brain drain" of smart, high-earning, well-educated Canadians flocking south. I've done some research. The states that these people go to are (in order) Texas, California, and Florida.

Guess where I'll be heading in a few years. :wink:

Oh my god Ultra_Kool_Dude... I'm speechless. But I don't think your fellow citizens
will be in great vain of you leaving them. Go see mr.republican, Arnold. How the fuck did
he get elected anyways... It's like having Tom Green for minister of foreign affairs.

I guess US would be number one for countries with a population over 50,000,000

This has nothing to do with population, nothing at all. All the factors move along
with
eachother together with the polulation. As the population grows, so does the tax
income and budget for welfare and so on. It only takes a bit more work, but
your state dividing on these issues make you exactly the same as us. So this
is not a valid point from your side Im sorry to say.

That is a drop in the bucket compared to ours,

Also meaning president Bush won by a drop in the bucket! haha :lol:
You said it yourself...

And if it's all related to low the population is how come Japan is on that list.
The other "small" countries are mainly there because we share many
of the political ideas with Sweden, Finland and Iceland. (and offcourse Canada)

The thing making us top this list, is the fact that the poor in our country have a
very acceptable standard of living. There are many people considered to be rich,
and if this is your dream it is very conceivable. Those people you keep reffering to
as being poor because they are dumb and lazy will still be poor even with a working
welfare system such as it is here. If you are willing to work a fair ammount in
this country you will be able to live properly and have children without suffering.
I love it... Personally I want that for my fellow citizens, and I'm proud that it works.

Actually I might join Schwarzenegger2 in a couple of years and pay you country
a little visit. Not that you might want me there, but I love to discuss... To bad you
can't be president if not born in the U.S! Haha
:D

OK, but can we finish this as well? Im getting tired of this and I think you are to.
I hear your points, even though I don't agree with them. And it will remain this way
for both of us so let's just fuck it.

Im taking my license early this next morning so I really have to sleep now :eek:

Also meaning president Bush won by a drop in the bucket! haha
You said it yourself...

In relative terms yes 3mill is a drop in the bucket but in terms of elections it was the biggest Republican margin, bigger margin than when Regan was re-elected so that says something.

And if it's all related to low the population is how come Japan is on that list.
The other "small" countries are mainly there because we share many
of the political ideas with Sweden, Finland and Iceland. (and offcourse Canada)

You have proved it then, population works a hand in this. Its easier for a small population to succeed with the political views you have than with the political/social views americans have. Besides Japan and USA, there are countries with populations smaller than most of our major cities (NY, LA, Miami) and its easier for the govt to be able to provide for its country with a relatively small population. Don't you agree?

Those people you keep reffering to
as being poor because they are dumb and lazy will still be poor even with a working
welfare system such as it is here.

:shock: :shock: OH SHIT you do see what i was trying to say. First concrete agreement we had i must say.

i'll end my post with that.

Quote Justin:
"I laughed when i saw it, your countries population is 4,574,560 (July 2004 est.). That is a drop in the bucket compared to ours, 293,027,571 (July 2004 est.). So its easier to be number 1 ranked by UN but the reality is that its easier for your country because you have HALF the population my city has. Thats amazing. NYC has roughly 8.5 - 9 million and you country has half that. Its something to be proud of but If we had even half a population we might be further up the list."

So what if we're only 4 million? Quality over quantity my friend ....

haz

So what if we're only 4 million? Quality over quantity my friend ....

I doubt your country would be number one with an extra 200 million :wink:

Your system works because you have less ppl. use your common sense, its hard to provide health care to over 288 million as appose to a mere 4 million.

CanadianLoonie said:
Why not move to a REAL tax haven

Where's a real haven? Monaco I guess?

I think ideally I will work in the states for half of the year, then spend the other half right here. Maybe on a lake somewhere... :)

CanadianLoonie said:
instead of a country that tries to be one and pretends the laws of economics don't apply to it.

Can you explain this? Are you talking about how the US is currently lowering taxes and increasing spending, while increasing debt and the trade deficit? :?:

Monaco...the crown jewel of the Forumla One World Championship...and the ultimate tax haven if you can afford it. Ultimate as in...NO PERSONAL INCOME TAX!!!!!

Others including Liechtenstein, Bermuda, the Caymen Islands, Andorra, Jersey, Guernsey, and the Isle of Man are the ones I can rattle off the top of my head.
All with little or no personal income tax.

Monaco...the crown jewel of the Forumla One World Championship...and the ultimate tax haven if you can afford it. Ultimate as in...NO PERSONAL INCOME TAX!!!!!

Others including Liechtenstein, Bermuda, the Caymen Islands, Andorra, Jersey, Guernsey, and the Isle of Man are the ones I can rattle off the top of my head.
All with little or no personal income tax.

I should add the United Arab Emirates to that. A small country in the Middle East on the Persian Gulf. They have no taxes and boy do you get to see some amazing cars there. I grew up there and can say that I have been lucky enough to see cars like the the Merc SLR and CLK GTR in person; and these were not just fleeting glances but up close and personal being touchy feely and all! :mrgreen: (notice the name dropping and bragging!) ;) :p

What are you doing in Indiana then?

Then thing with the UAE is that it's close to Saudi Arabia...and when the Saudi government falls, it'll be too close to the ensuing chaos for comfort.

CanadianLoonie said:
What are you doing in Indiana then?

Then thing with the UAE is that it's close to Saudi Arabia...and when the Saudi government falls, it'll be too close to the ensuing chaos for comfort.

I am studying Mech. Engineering here. So hopefully someday I will design those beautiful supercars rather than just admire them. :p

What you said about being to close to Saudi Arabia is true. Most foreigners there (or expatriates as they are called there) including my family has thought about that. Although it seems like as time goes by, the UAE is trying to insulate itself from such possible shocks

What about Dubai then, that's just crazy ...

Every business is run by arabs, almost all workforce is done by foreigners, but you can't stay in Dubai more than so many years if you're a foreigner and work there.
You can't get a citizenship, unless you're born into a Dubai family ...

And have you seen the hotel on the fake island??? Worlds only 6 star hotel, AND they're buliding another one.

They say the hotel will go break-even (buliding costs vs. what they make off it) in about 100 years IF THEY ARE FULL-BOOKED EVERY ROOM FOR ALL 100 YEARS :shock: !!!!
So, you understand they didn't build for profits ....
No hotel has seen so much gold .........

haz

haz said:
Every business is run by arabs, almost all workforce is done by foreigners, but you can't stay in Dubai more than so many years if you're a foreigner and work there.

that's great :D. it's having guest employees coming over, with the certainty they won't keep coming, and someday they will return. why didn't we think of that 50 years ago...

[quote="justin syder]1. Norway 4,574,560 (July 2004 est.)

2. Australia 19,913,144 (July 2004 est.)

3. Canada 32,507,874 (July 2004 est.)

4. Sweden 8,986,400 (July 2004 est.)

5. Belgium 10,348,276 (July 2004 est.)

6. United States 293,027,571 (July 2004 est.)

7. Iceland 293,966 (July 2004 est.)

8. Netherlands 16,318,199 (July 2004 est.)

9. Japan 127,333,002 (July 2004 est.)

10. Finland 5,214,512 (July 2004 est.)

I guess US would be number one for countries with a population over 50,000,000 :wink:[/quote]That list isnt a hundred percent accurate because that takes into account the amount of funds each nation provides directly to the United Nations. The United States is the largest contributor to the United Nations because it is part of the WB and IMF which require HUGE amounts of money, but those organizations are not considered in the making of that list. Not to take anything away from the nations on that list, Norway is the most active country in the United Nations... they show up for everything. But, it is inaccurate. And thats not to mention all the money sent to Africa to help address the AIDS eppidemic.

haz said:
What about Dubai then, that's just crazy ...

And have you seen the hotel on the fake island??? Worlds only 6 star hotel, AND they're buliding another one.

They say the hotel will go break-even (buliding costs vs. what they make off it) in about 100 years IF THEY ARE FULL-BOOKED EVERY ROOM FOR ALL 100 YEARS :shock: !!!!
So, you understand they didn't build for profits ....
No hotel has seen so much gold .........

haz

link to that hotel?