Nurburgring charge ?840 for track cleaning!

That's nothing. A person I know rented a car once and didn't buy the optional property damage insurance (or something rather). He was not entirely comfortable driving a Suburban and ended up bumping into a wire fence at the rental car place. No damage on the car, no real damage to the fence - all it needed was maybe 1-2 new poles and being raised again.

They sent him the bill ~$650.

So tarmac cleaning from oil/coolant/etc for 840 Euro doesn't seem that excessive.

840 Euros to clean the street?

I'll get a couple of gallons of Dawn dish soap and be on my way! I'll only charge half. ;)

Could it be that the cleaning job includes lost profit due to track closure, for example?

That's nothing. A person I know rented a car once and didn't buy the optional property damage insurance (or something rather). He was not entirely comfortable driving a Suburban and ended up bumping into a wire fence at the rental car place. No damage on the car, no real damage to the fence - all it needed was maybe 1-2 new poles and being raised again.

They sent him the bill ~$650.

So tarmac cleaning from oil/coolant/etc for 840 Euro doesn't seem that excessive.

So one poor* example of overcharge completely negates the 840 euro for a cleaning job?

* It doesn't have anything to do with the ring, probably even on a different continent, does include actual damage repair (1-2 new poles is "real damage") AND is actually nearly half the amount of the price in the first post. In what possible way does that make 1200 usd cleaning seem not excessive?

My biggest fear of driving the Ring is not crashing and dying, but rather crashing and having to pay a humongous bill.

Seems cheap to me. Based on that post I'm assuming he dropped coolant over quite a long stretch of track, so it's not just a small puddle that needs to be soaked up - TAG's going to be busy for quite a while to clean that with dish soap.

I don't think recouping lost profits due to track downtime is factored in much... then it'd be at least another zero.

Last edited:
What I like best it the "It's not my fault I took a car that leaks fluids on a track" line of thinking.

I wonder what it costs if a biker crashes due to oil/coolant on the track and they track it down to the individual who took a leaky car to the track.

Normal car coolant is hard to clean properly, and extremely slippery. There is a reason most racetrack requires that you run distilled water instead.

At the Mont-Tremblant track, during a motorcycle track day, two motorcycle collided pretty violently during a red flag (the one in front had slowed down considerably, while the one at the back was still coming full speed, over a crest on the longest straight).

One of them was still running prestone coolant (despite having declared at tech inspection that he was running distilled water). The spill forced the closing of the track for the rest of the day.

I wonder what it costs if a biker crashes due to oil/coolant on the track and they track it down to the individual who took a leaky car to the track.

I would expect it to be the same. They'll charge for the clear up but the biker went out there at his own risk.

Whether or not he could file a personal injury claim against the driver is another thing. Americans :)P) - Can you sue someone if your bike or car crashes after skidding on oil and the source can be traced?

Last edited:
Normal car coolant is hard to clean properly, and extremely slippery. There is a reason most racetrack requires that you run distilled water instead.
Aye, coolant is ridiculously slippery. That said, it's generally the organization running the event that requires water rather than coolant - most HPDEs allow street cars to run street coolant after a tech inspection (which includes checking for leaks and potential weaknesses in the system). I've driven over said coolant on track after a car experienced a failure. It's worse than driving on black ice with summer tires.