oath

SiR_dude

Well-Known Member
Joined
Mar 5, 2004
Messages
3,639
Location
Somewhere in rural Ontario, Canada
Car(s)
2000 Civic SiR
bone said:
if our kings has to do the oath, he places his hands on the constitution, the basis of the country, not some religious thing
In addition to what has already been said, don't forget, America was founded upon Christian principles, and thus, the Bible, being the cornerstone of Christianity, is used as a symbol during many swearing ceremonies.

I'm sure if you look around the world, you'll see that in any country in which a certain religion is prominent, a similar symbol would be used.
 

zenon

Well-Known Member
Joined
Mar 8, 2004
Messages
2,545
Location
Vancouver, Canada
This is a quote from Wikipedia - it sums up the issue of Church and State in America very well:
Wikipedia said:
In this regard it is often stated that while the US has a separation of Church and State, it is not a separation of government and religion.
The seperation of Church and State has never really been firmly defined in America. For the most part it just means that the State will not endorse or hold a specific branch of Christianity as a State Church (like Catholicism, Baptist, Methodist etc.).

And in regards to what has been said about past presidents, most have claimed to be Christians, but as with the majority of the population of America, it is only a casual belief in Christianity. I would never claim to be in a position to judge a person's relationship with God, but it seems most presidents have not been dedicated or passionate Christians.
 

justin syder

Well-Known Member
Joined
Dec 8, 2003
Messages
4,096
Location
New York, USA
Car(s)
1986 Mercedes-Benz 300E
but as with the majority of the population of America, it is only a casual belief in Christianity.
Yes, there are many people to claim to be religious, presidents too.

I would never claim to be in a position to judge a person's relationship with God, but it seems most presidents have not been dedicated or passionate Christians.
I agree, this is why I like Bush, you know where he is coming from, you know how religious he is whether you like it or not. He has strong convictions and firm beliefs.

Things are going to look good for the second term, Roe. vs. Wade might be overturned. Conservatives are taking back the country from the Supreme Court and ACLU. :thumbsup:
 

CanadianLoonie

Well-Known Member
Joined
Feb 16, 2004
Messages
678
Location
Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
Car(s)
1993 Acura Integra RS sedan
Meanwhile, on the economic front, the US peso, I mean 'dollar' will continue it's plunge towards worthlessness and the US economy will collaspe from climbing the Mountains of Debt with peaks named Consumer Debt and Government Debt.

The result will be a worldwide Great Depression, Act III as consistant with what happens during a Kondratieff Winter.
 

bigfoot1942

Well-Known Member
Joined
Sep 15, 2004
Messages
864
Location
Holland
CanadianLoonie said:
Meanwhile, on the economic front, the US peso, I mean 'dollar' will continue it's plunge towards worthlessness and the US economy will collaspe from climbing the Mountains of Debt with peaks named Consumer Debt and Government Debt.

The result will be a worldwide Great Depression, Act III as consistant with what happens during a Kondratieff Winter.
oh give me a break.
 

CanadianLoonie

Well-Known Member
Joined
Feb 16, 2004
Messages
678
Location
Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
Car(s)
1993 Acura Integra RS sedan
bigfoot1942 said:
CanadianLoonie said:
Meanwhile, on the economic front, the US peso, I mean 'dollar' will continue it's plunge towards worthlessness and the US economy will collaspe from climbing the Mountains of Debt with peaks named Consumer Debt and Government Debt.

The result will be a worldwide Great Depression, Act III as consistant with what happens during a Kondratieff Winter.
oh give me a break.
Do a little research about it after you've taken your break.
 

justin syder

Well-Known Member
Joined
Dec 8, 2003
Messages
4,096
Location
New York, USA
Car(s)
1986 Mercedes-Benz 300E
Its only because of the trade deficit.

You are soo obscessed with our economy and seeing it collapse. Isnt there ANYTHING interesting happening in canada that you could occupy ur time with. ;)
 

CanadianLoonie

Well-Known Member
Joined
Feb 16, 2004
Messages
678
Location
Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
Car(s)
1993 Acura Integra RS sedan
justin syder said:
Its only because of the trade deficit.
Wrong. Not only is the US running an all-time high trade deficit of over 6% of GDP (over $600 billion), the budget deficit is over 4% of GDP (over $400 billion) and will rise higher to pay for the Neo-Conservative Club's Safari of Iraq.

The stock market bubble bursted in 2000 and instead of letting a healthy recession occur and help clean out the exceess of the late 90s, Greenspam slashed interest rates to record lows and that has now fuelled another bubble, the real estate bubble.

Or, as your Presidente would have you believe, the beginning of the "Ownership Society".

Ironically, the "Ownership Society" begins with piling on hugh amounts of debt in the form of flexible-interest rate mortages onto new home buyers. With interest rates low, anyone can afford it. But what would happen if interest rates were to rise to support the falling dollar?

justin syder said:
You are soo obscessed with our economy and seeing it collapse. Isnt there ANYTHING interesting happening in canada that you could occupy ur time with. ;)
I am 'soo obscessed with your economy and seeing it collapse' because it is the play of the decade.

Since your beloved Presidente took office, the US dollar in your pocket had lost a third of it's value in the foreign exchange markets and is right now hovering near the levels when Clinton took office...which is close to the all-time lows.

During the same time, gold has more than doubled and most gold stocks have done even better.

So I'm basically making decent money off of your country's problems... but it's nothing personal...just business.

Actually, there is something interesting happening in Vancouver over the next couple of days...the annual Vancouver Resource Investment Conference, where the one of themes is how to profit from a US dollar crisis.
 

justin syder

Well-Known Member
Joined
Dec 8, 2003
Messages
4,096
Location
New York, USA
Car(s)
1986 Mercedes-Benz 300E
Glad to see our country gives foreigners opportunity for good financial gain even in down times. ;)

What a great country eh?
 

haz

I AM OT!
Joined
May 28, 2004
Messages
5,519
Location
Oslo
Car(s)
Tesla Model S 75D BMW E39 Wagon
justin syder said:
No surprise, europe has a "no-religion" attitude so religion to you guys is a hassle or dumb or not necessary.
wooooooooooot? Ignorance again! Sorry Justin ... you bring this on yourself, all the time .....

haz
 

justin syder

Well-Known Member
Joined
Dec 8, 2003
Messages
4,096
Location
New York, USA
Car(s)
1986 Mercedes-Benz 300E
You cant be offended by that, comon.

Its not ignorance, there are few really religious people in Europe. Take me up on that and tell me if you know atleast 5 people that are religious or go to church atleast once a month.
 

zenon

Well-Known Member
Joined
Mar 8, 2004
Messages
2,545
Location
Vancouver, Canada
haz said:
justin syder said:
No surprise, europe has a "no-religion" attitude so religion to you guys is a hassle or dumb or not necessary.
wooooooooooot? Ignorance again! Sorry Justin ... you bring this on yourself, all the time .....

haz
Um, isn't Justin correct in saying that?

From what I know, the majority of Europe has a merely traditional or casual relationship with Christianity, but an extremely small percentage of the population actually practices.
 

CanadianLoonie

Well-Known Member
Joined
Feb 16, 2004
Messages
678
Location
Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
Car(s)
1993 Acura Integra RS sedan
justin syder said:
Glad to see our country gives foreigners opportunity for good financial gain even in down times. ;)

What a great country eh?
Just got back from the convention and I have to ask...you want in on the action?

If done right, it could mean you being that much closer to your SL55...
 

SiR_dude

Well-Known Member
Joined
Mar 5, 2004
Messages
3,639
Location
Somewhere in rural Ontario, Canada
Car(s)
2000 Civic SiR
CanadianLoonie said:
justin syder said:
Glad to see our country gives foreigners opportunity for good financial gain even in down times. ;)

What a great country eh?
Just got back from the convention and I have to ask...you want in on the action?

If done right, it could mean you being that much closer to your SL55...
What convention?? I'm curious.....
 

mmap

Well-Known Member
Joined
Sep 12, 2004
Messages
1,394
Location
Finland
justin syder said:
You cant be offended by that, comon.

Its not ignorance, there are few really religious people in Europe. Take me up on that and tell me if you know atleast 5 people that are religious or go to church atleast once a month.
I can't speak for Haz but at least I am not offended, I think that this is a common belief. However I see religious people everyday (just today I head that "jesus loves me") and the Churches near my home are filled on Sundays. My younger brother goes to christian camps etc etc. So I know way more than 5 religious people.

I would say that we just don't make such a big deal about our beliefs and broadcast it to everyone who'll listen all the time.
 

Jostyrostelli

Forum Addict
Joined
May 29, 2004
Messages
8,061
Muumipeikko: same here, the churches are stuffed here every sunday and on thirsday or some other day it's damn crowded at the place. I know lots more that 5 people who are religious, and that's Christian and Islam together, I guess we don't talk about it that much, you rarely here someone coming up to you that you shouldn't swear with God or whatever.

I like it as it is, believe what you believe and don't yell in everybodys ear that you believe in God. (that was not meant as an offence....just in case ;))
 

bone

"bangle for president"
DONOR
Joined
Jan 14, 2004
Messages
16,399
Location
belgium!!
Car(s)
Volvo V40 & Yamaha Banshee
churches get only stuffed when someone get burried or get married, an ordinary sunday no more than 30 people (all over 60) will be there

and we're suffering from a huge shortage in priests for the moment
so if anyone wants to change, it's here you gotta be ;)
 

swek

Retired Moderator
Joined
May 19, 2004
Messages
4,602
Location
Hamburg, Germany
Car(s)
Had a bicycle once.
Over here Curches mainly have changed their purpose. Most of them offer kindergardens and after school activities like scouting. Plus they are involved in activities for the elderly. Church services aren't very crowded but that might be different in the country. I hardly know 5 people who claim to be practising christians.
 
Top