Obituaries Notable people that have passed

Talking Pictures : Richard Attenborough- BBC TV

BBC TV said:
Episode 21 of 34

Duration: 40 minutes

A look at the life and work of the late Richard Attenborough, with vintage interviews and classic archive clips illustrating a career that has made him one of British cinema's most popular and successful figures. Narrated by Sylvia Syms

EDIT:
.. and another one from the BBC:

Richard Attenborough: A Life in Film - BBC TV

BBC TV said:
Duration: 1 hour

A tribute to actor and director Lord Richard Attenborough. Narrated by Alan Rickman and featuring contributions from John Hurt, Shirley MacLaine, Sir Ben Kingsley, Debra Winger, Sir Anthony Hopkins, Candice Bergen, Michael Douglas and Edward Fox.

Last edited:
Richard Kiel

jaws-bond.jpg

They were human beings first and foremost.

+ you didn't take into account all those people exposed to asbestos and who are still to die because of it...

Good photos, good article, except:

There are many shots from different angles of the planes striking the towers, but one reason there are not thousands of different images is that iPhones had not yet been invented and many phones had no cameras.

How about saying "mobile phone" instead of iPhone, not giving a certain company credit and even more pushing their hipster-individualism-standpoint?

Not true. Included in that 2,977 number are the 19 hijackers and hundreds of non-American victims from about 90 countries. Over 12% of those killed were foreigners. May they all rest in peace.
The number I posted does not include the hijackers, as I don't care about them. You're right though, there were 372 non-Americans, whose deaths are certainly equally tragic.

+ you didn't take into account all those people exposed to asbestos and who are still to die because of it...

I read an article the other day about how thousands of people who were at the sight (many of them emergency services workers) have now been diagnosed with cancer that was probably caused by fumed from all the melted computers and electronic devices. Mostly leukemia.

How about saying "mobile phone" instead of iPhone

Because then they'd be saying that mobile phones hadn't been invented by 2001. They probably should have said "camera phones".

The number I posted does not include the hijackers, as I don't care about them. You're right though, there were 372 non-Americans, whose deaths are certainly equally tragic.

Had in my head that you had used the 2,996 number, even though I somehow managed to quot the number you really used. :bangin:

Because then they'd be saying that mobile phones hadn't been invented by 2001. They probably should have said "camera phones".

...which technically had been invented in 2001 as well. However, what matters is their ubiquity rather than whether it's been invented or not - despite camera phones existing in 2001, barely anyone had it ready to snap away at all times... and even if, the image would have been useless.

I'm more buggered by the fact that they use a particular brand name instead of the normal common name of said thing. I hate this attitude towards this company in our society and its brand names on their products in our western society.

Just to show you what I mean: This summer I was with a couple of friends in our local park, doing things you're doing during the summer, chilling in the sun. Then, a guy came with a drone and flew it around for fun. A little boy came (roughly 5 years old?) and asked if I controlled it because it was above where we stayed. Before I could say anything, the kid said "Oh, no it's not you, that's just an iPhone." Well, firstly, I don't have an iPhone, and secondly, kids nowadays grow up with the idea that every smartphone out there automatically is an iPhone, and getting to know this first before other brand names in that product range instantly makes you want it from a small age. Great marketing there Apple, it has to be said.

Sorry for it being massively OT...

I'm more buggered by the fact that they use a particular brand name instead of the normal common name of said thing. I hate this attitude towards this company in our society and its brand names on their products in our western society.

you'd be surprised how many common names were actually brands!

You forgot Hoover. Damn!