Obituaries Notable people that have passed

U.S. news pundit John McLaughlin dies at 89

WASHINGTON (Reuters) - U.S. television news executive and commentator John McLaughlin, a former Jesuit priest who hosted the public affairs broadcast "The McLaughlin Group" for 34 years, died on Tuesday, the show said.

"The McLaughlin Group" announced the death on Facebook but gave no details about the cause or where McLaughlin died.

"Now he has said bye bye for the last time, to rejoin his beloved dog, Oliver, in heaven. He will always be remembered," it said.

McLauglin, a former speechwriter for Republican Presidents Richard Nixon and Gerald Ford, launched "The McLaughlin Group," which featured a roundtable discussion of current events among panelists, in 1982.

The show is carried by CBS-owned stations and public television stations. An interview show, "John McLaughlin's One on One," ran from 1984 to 2013.

McLaughlin was born in Providence, Rhode Island, and was ordained a priest in 1959. He held two master's degrees from Boston College, and a doctorate in philosophy from Columbia University.

He ran for the U.S. Senate from Rhode Island as an anti-Vietnam War Republican in 1970, losing to incumbent Democrat John Pastore. McLaughlin left the Jesuit order in 1974.

From 1989 to 1994, McLaughlin produced and hosted "McLaughlin," a nightly talk show on CNBC. He was Washington editor and columnist for the National Review from 1981 to 1989.

Former 3 Doors Down Guitarist Matt Roberts Dead at 38

Matt Roberts, founding guitarist of the rock group 3 Doors Down, has died at age 38, his father Darrell Roberts told CNN.

The father and son were traveling together in West Bend, Wisconsin, where the younger Roberts was to play a benefit show for veterans. Local police said they responded to a late-night report of a man ?either asleep or passed out in the hallway of his hotel.? They later pronounced Roberts dead. Detectives notified his father around 9 a.m. Saturday morning.

An official cause of death has not been announced. Darrell Roberts said his son had long struggled with anxiety and an addiction to prescription medication, but that he had believed he was doing better.

?I know he had [a] prescription drug addiction. He suffered greatly from anxiety,? the elder Roberts said to CNN. ?I thought he had beaten it all.? Darrell Roberts told TMZ he believed his son?s death was accidental.

Matt Roberts founded 3 Doors Down with Brad Arnold and Todd Harrell in 1996. During his tenure, Roberts co-wrote the Escatawpa, Mississippi group?s biggest hit, ?Kryptonite,? as well as other successful songs like ?Here Without You? and ?When I?m Gone.? The band?s first and second records, 2000?s A Better Life and 2002?s Away From the Sun, were each certified multiplatinum. Roberts left the band in 2012, citing health issues.

This is probably their biggest hit.

Came in here to post that, not sure how well known he is outside Belgium though....

He played with quite a few Swedish jazz musicians and I think he is well known here in Sweden. Maybe not among younger people.

WHAT?!

:cry: I really liked his performances in Young Frankenstein and Blazing Saddles.

Mr. Wonka... :cry:

:cry: I really liked his performances in Young Frankenstein and Blazing Saddles.

Both movies that showing at my local drive in as part of their end of year throwback movies. I know what I'm doing on Friday.

What a pilot and life*, good luck Bob wherever you you land!

I hope the USAF give him the appropriate fly-by.

EDIT*

Wiki said:
In 1944, on his 59th mission, his malfunctioning Mark V Spitfire was shot down by a Focke-Wulf Fw 190 off the coast of Southern France and he was taken prisoner. He spent 16 months at the German prison camp Stalag Luft 1 in Barth, Germany.

Hoover managed to escape from the prison camp by stealing a Fw 190, and flew to safety in the Netherlands.

Last edited:
Obituaries Notable people that have passed

Awwww! I plan to watch that movie on Monday.

It is one of my all-time favourites. In fact I was watching it on Tuesday night! The soundtrack also kicks ass!

There are plans in the works to "reboot" the movie, but I won't be watching that if it happens. It should be left alone out of respect to Brandon's passing.