Obituaries Notable people that have passed

That....is just fucked.

I read some time ago about his depression (and earlier substance-abuse) but this still came as a complete surprise.

:no:

Depression sucks. :(

Shit man. :(

Edit:

SLi9r1V.png

:cry:

Last edited:
Very sad news indeed, but at the same time, I am not surprised at all about the depression news.

R.I.P. Mr. Williams.

you don't expect comedians to get depressions...

Really?

They are some of the most Manic people on the planet and ALOT of them are clinically Bi-polar. I'm not 100% sure if Robin Williams was, but to me he is a classic example of it. He clearly had a high energy euphoric mode, but you have to come down from that sometime and especially when you add drugs to the mix it can come down hard. I think he was pretty much sober for the last decade, but still had the highs and lows. Its actually pretty typical of big time comedians. Richard Prior set himself on fire in a fit of depression at the height of his career and I've heard a lot of interviews with others sayings its pretty hard to keep the high you get performing for large crowds and having them in the palm of your hand. I've felt it on a tiny level with my job (lighting designer for concerts and such) and its pretty special.

I don't think I've ever seen an outpouring of sympathy and sadness over a celebrity death in my life time. I mostly agree and have a ton of sympathy for his family and close friends. Its really sad that his awesome and wide reaching career had to end in this horrible way. I honestly can't help being a bit angry at him for doing it like that, but that is my general reaction to suicide I guess. Sorry to intellectualize it like this, but its hard not to think about. Since about 4pm local time here I've had it in my face everywhere I turn.

If one has a lucid mind and thought it through I don't see why suicide is all that bad. Of course you should go out it a way that harms nobody else (jumping in front of a train for instance is quite bad) and probably explain why you did what you did so that everybody can understand. If you truly feel that there is nothing else for you in this life, why should you keep on living? (No, I'm neither depressed nor suicidal)

On the other hand, many (potential) suicides are just spur of the moment things and if these people are kept from killing themselves most will never try again because they came close to death and value life all that more afterwards. I once saw a study that followed up on such people and almost all of them were happy that somebody stopped them and said they would never try it again.

Damn it, just read about Robin Williams. :cry:

RIP

During dinner last night I told my family he died. Everybody was in shock. We all loved the shows/movies he was in. I think the short lived show "The Crazy Ones" was his last thing to star in.

Which is a bit like saying dentists shouldn't get toothache. Depression is an illness that can strike anyone, and isn't simply just feeling a bit sad.

If one has a lucid mind and thought it through I don't see why suicide is all that bad. Of course you should go out it a way that harms nobody else (jumping in front of a train for instance is quite bad) and probably explain why you did what you did so that everybody can understand. If you truly feel that there is nothing else for you in this life, why should you keep on living? (No, I'm neither depressed nor suicidal)
I don't think anyone who actually gets to the point of suicide is of lucid mind though. The will to live is generally so strong, that a person's mind has to be so seriously troubled to consider ending it. And while it's his life and therefore up to him what he does with it, the effect it has on those left behind is devastating. They always have to live with the feeling that they weren't enough, that they could have done more to help

I don't think I've ever seen an outpouring of sympathy and sadness over a celebrity death in my life time. I mostly agree and have a ton of sympathy for his family and close friends. Its really sad that his awesome and wide reaching career had to end in this horrible way. I honestly can't help being a bit angry at him for doing it like that, but that is my general reaction to suicide I guess. Sorry to intellectualize it like this, but its hard not to think about. Since about 4pm local time here I've had it in my face everywhere I turn.
Mine too. I feel desperately sad for his family/friends, but also for him that he really felt there was no hope left. RIP Robin.