Obituaries Notable people that have passed

Last edited:
Glad to see Starr's utter failures at Baylor get treated with the weight it deserves in that NPR obit. CNN's led with a "good Christian"/"public servant" puff-piece quote from Baylor's current president—not under a heading foreshadowing the heavy subject matter to come or anything. I woke up mad about this. You, journalistic outlet, are not Baylor's PR department. Apologizing or glossing over the garbage actions of bad men is not your job.

Dr. Livingstone kinda has to be nice in situations like this. I'm sure no one at Baylor is too happy to hear BU's big recentish rape scandal back in the news, either, and she's got to say something nice lest she stir that pot further and draw out the pain. I finally feel like BU's doing better on that front, but that was after years of feeling deeply, deeply angry that I paid way too much (and am still paying way too much, as the public student loan forgiveness hardly makes a dent) for bad men in positions of authority to make bank and shove the real, horrifying pain of fellow students under the rug in the name of chasing sports titles and the donations that usually follow.

Baylor's no stranger to athletic scandals, or scandals in general. I knew that going there, but the school kept its good reputation despite it all and I figured coming out of a major men's basketball scandal circa 2004ish, they'd have learned how not to screw up on a big, horrifying scale for a while. Nope! And Ken Starr helped brush it all under the rug. That's his legacy to Baylor folks, and it does a profound disservice to everyone reading an obit to lead with the obligatory boilerplate statement instead of his actual impact there.

Last edited:
Really stretching the "notable" here, but I loved this movie back in the day. I was actually on the waiting list to work at the same cemetery where the documentary's subject worked. This guy, I met in an aisle in a Milwaukee-area Best Buy, and taught him the difference between DVD-R and DVD-RW. He signed a random receipt I had in my pocket, which I've since stuck on my DVD case for the movie. He was super shocked anyone would have asked him for an autograph (the movie came out in 1999, and this would have been some time between then and the summer of 2001).

An extraordinary life:

Red Bull founder and F1 team owner Dietrich Mateschitz dies aged 78​

Kevin Conroy, voice of Batman for the last 31 years in various animated series, movies, and games.

Gallagher
7IJ1DHT.jpeg

Mehran Karimi Nasseri

View attachment 3567652

Mr Nasseri returned to the airport a few weeks ago, where he lived until he died, an airport official said.

How bad was the the hostel he lived in? I’m perhaps also a bit confused why he didn’t find a small house to live in with the money he made from having s movie made of him.

Strange now to think that I watched The Terminal via a rented movie from Hollywood Video. That feels like a different life almost…

I've not read anything about him (never even saw the movie), other than a single post somewhere that mentioned he had mental health issues. No idea if that's the reality or not, but it would certainly explain some things.