Off Road Downunder

I see nothing about this kind of driving that recommends it to me. Watching these shows on tv here, I don't see the appeal. I don't want to be anxious, worried and uncomfortable, on vacation. It doesn't look fun, to me.
Care to explain the appeal, anyone?

I see nothing about this kind of driving that recommends it to me. Watching these shows on tv here, I don't see the appeal. I don't want to be anxious, worried and uncomfortable, on vacation. It doesn't look fun, to me.
Care to explain the appeal, anyone?
Part of me thinks they are hamming it up for the camera and views, but they also aren't used to the kind of off roading in the US. The very first time I drove, it was when I was underage and didn't have a license, but my dad had me drive the Land Cruiser on a Moab trail. I've been doing it ever since. If you talk to people who've ridden with me, I don't get nervous and flustered like you see these guys doing. I plan my wheel placement, get out and scout when I need to, but I'm calm while doing it. Lifting wheels isn't that big a deal, I do it all the time.

These guys are used to wheeling in Queensland and New South Wales, which is really different. They are in narrow slimy, muddy slots where the worst that will happen is you flop on your side, lots of Moab offroading is the opposite - driving along standstone ridges and fins with drop offs on both sides, but you have excellent traction. They aren't used to shelf roads carved into the mountainside or driving up those sandstone features, both of these types of trails cause the butt to pucker for the uninitiated. These are high-consequence situations, ones where a mistake isn't a dented panel or scraped bumper, it's potentially fatal. What they also aren't used to is the nearly unreal amount of traction you have to prevent that from happening.

I'm used to driving shelf roads and rocky fins, hell, there are some trails that require you to do all this backwards and I've done it a bunch of times on vehicles that pre-date reverse cameras. It's all about what you are used to. I'd be a nervous wreck giving a big, heavy V8 a bootfull of throttle to bounce and spin tires up a slippery, muddy slot trail because where I drive, that's what you do if you want to break everything on your vehicle.

It's all about context, we've taken them out of their context and they are feeling it.

Aren't this lot are one of the channels the others are not happy about needlessly trashing vehicles and trails

They were pretty respectful of the trails in the US so far and commented on the importance of stewardship. They seemed to advocate for more of that behavior in Australia, like picking up trash and staying on trails. From their commentary, it seems like the soil they are usually driving in Australia is particularly slippery and the only way to get up it is with a lot of power.