Official 2010 F1 Pre-Season Thread

Vettel didn't seem happy with Renault when the lumps blew in Valencia..oh whell, it's their decision..

I'd like to see a source for the "RBR stays with Renault"-story. I don't think Red Bull will decide on the engine until the McLaren/Merc/Brawn-Situation is sorted out.

I hope Ferrari makes an awesome car.

I'd like to see a source for the "RBR stays with Renault"-story. I don't think Red Bull will decide on the engine until the McLaren/Merc/Brawn-Situation is sorted out.

I've seen no official confirmation but Auto Motor Sport is usually well informed. link (german)

I've neglected this forum lately, I realized I missed it so I'm back! :D

I'm very much looking forward to 2010. New teams, lots of drivers changing teams, no refuelling...

Oh, and during this winter I should get used to the fact that I'll be supporting Barrichello next year. :lol: It'll be weird, I've been watching F1 since 2000 and I've never liked Rubens. I don't have any specific reason but I just can't warm to the guy. So let's hope he can compensate by winning races in 2010! :D

I think Red Bull will be very strong, but I hope Ferrari and McLaren build decent cars as well. I have a bad feeling about Ferrari though, I know they started building the new car very early, but the current team (leadership, main engineers) just doesn't seem too convincing to me - Todt's system was more radical, more ruthless and unfair at times, but it was definetely working.
I also hope that Renault can build something better for Kubica than this horrendous R29...

I hate the lack of testing; the winter break will seem to last longer than ever.

I've neglected this forum lately, I realized I missed it so I'm back! :D

And we've missed you!

Naaawwwwwww :comfort:

Testing ban is extremely shit. Worst idea ever.

We can only hope. Supposedly they've been testing bits of the F61 since Germany. My personal expectations are quite high if they've been testing parts since Mid-July.

Won't the chassis go back to F2010 since this year was a nod to Enzo?

If they have been testing bits since mid-year then where has the testing been since Singapore which I think they stopped putting any new bits on.

Won't the chassis go back to F2010 since this year was a nod to Enzo?

If they have been testing bits since mid-year then where has the testing been since Singapore which I think they stopped putting any new bits on.
Name will probably be F2010, now that you say that.

Someone else mentioned that they had been putting 2010 bits on the F60 since Germany.

Name will probably be F2010, now that you say that.

Someone else mentioned that they had been putting 2010 bits on the F60 since Germany.

Well, when you say 2010 bits, everyone's been doing that. As the season progresses, teams will shift development of their 2009 cars onto all the carry-over parts, or parts which they then put on the 2010 car. It's what McLaren have been doing in their development of the MP4/24, also the reason why they are confused as to why Ferrari just stopped putting new parts onto the car which they were presumably developing anyway for 2010. Or their parts didn't work.

Russian F1 portal (www.f1news.ru) quoting Austrian "Sportwoche" reported that Toyota may announce the decision to quit F1 as early as today (04.11) and not on 8th or 15th of November, as been reported earlier. Reasoning: 140 GPs, no wins, only 12 podiums, 4th place in constructors at best in 2005, half a billion $ budget, no more engine supply deal, no signed drivers.

Also, it looks like the German Auto Motor und Sport are expecting "bad news" emanating from Toyota "later in the week".

Last edited:
Well, when you say 2010 bits, everyone's been doing that. As the season progresses, teams will shift development of their 2009 cars onto all the carry-over parts, or parts which they then put on the 2010 car. It's what McLaren have been doing in their development of the MP4/24, also the reason why they are confused as to why Ferrari just stopped putting new parts onto the car which they were presumably developing anyway for 2010. Or their parts didn't work.

This is what Domenicalli said of the F60:

"We have a car designed with a basis that could not be competitive next year.

For that reason we made the decision to stop its evolution."

Meaning, there was no point in improving the horrible F60, because so much of it would have needed to be changed. So they just decided to make a brand new car.

Russian F1 portal (www.f1news.ru) quoting Austrian "Sportwoche" reported that Toyota may announce the decision to quit F1 as early as today (04.11) and not on 8th or 15th of November, as been reported earlier. Reasoning: 140 GPs, no wins, only 12 podiums, 4th place in constructors at best in 2005, half a billion $ budget, no more engine supply deal, no signed drivers.

Also, it looks like the German Auto Motor und Sport are expecting "bad news" emanating from Toyota "later in the week".

Which means Sauber will be back on the grid :)

I don't think it's the budget should be a factor. Toyota as a team in the beginning lacked something that was requisite in this sport - soul. Money doesn't mean much, look at the current teams. To Toyota F1 was just a marketing exercise, put bluntly. I don't see how they could have won anything when they don't hunger for it

I don't think it's the budget should be a factor. Toyota as a team in the beginning lacked something that was requisite in this sport - soul. Money doesn't mean much, look at the current teams. To Toyota F1 was just a marketing exercise, put bluntly. I don't see how they could have won anything when they don't hunger for it

I feel thats not just toyota F1 -- but ALL of Toyota... But regardless, even people who didnt come in for anything but image, get tired of losing! Everyone wants to win! They just can't seem to put it together. the soul doesn't win races in itself, just gives the team a morale boost to rally behind. A similar boost can be gained by failures, so by my logic they just havent fallen low enough... hahaha

side note: Sometimes I get pretty annoyed when so many "Toyota Families" defend toyota, but can't really explain why they like them, aside they are reliable and I never have to take care of them...

Thats what most people (a massive massive majority) ever want from a car.

My daily is a 2.2L, front wheel drive, mid-spec, AUTOMATIC toyota camry, now that i've tasted greener pastures i know its nothing special, but when i was but a wee 'teen, it was my chariot of awesomeness.

And say what you want, how many people keep their first car for (going on) 9 years (now)? The thing was ragged, beaten, crashed, survived 5 cross-continental trips and it still works (barely).

I wish toyota nothing but the best, and want to part in seeing them go. I'd rather see Force India/Jordan/Midlands/Whoever owns them this week or Williams go than toyota.

Autosport:

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/80002

Toyota set to announce it is leaving F1

By Biranit Goren Wednesday, November 4th 2009, 02:54 GMT

Toyota is expected to announced later today that it is withdrawing from Formula 1 with immediate effect, according to reports in the Japanese press, following a decision by the company's board of directors on Tuesday in Japan.

The official announcement is expected to be made on Wednesday afternoon Japan time, with representatives of the Toyota Motor Company reportly planning to hold a press conference to explain its decision.

The decision comes after months of speculation about the future of the team, a year after its Japanese rival Honda has withdrawn from F1 and just days following Bridgestone's announcement that it will end its F1 involvement after next season.

The Cologne-based Toyota team joined F1 at the start of the 2002 season, taking part in 139 grands prix and - albeit having one of the largest team budgets in the sport - failed to take a race win.

Suggestions the car maker will withdraw from F1 has surfaced throughout the year, but were repeatedly denied by company officials. Moreover, the team signed the new Concorde Agreement just recently, committing to the sport until the 2012 season.

Toyota Motor Corp is the largest car maker in the world, but the Japanese giant is forecasting an operating loss of over 8 billion USD.

Its decision to withdraw from grand prix racing paves the way for the the new owners of the BMW Sauber team to enter Formula 1 next year.