Official 2010 F1 Pre-Season Thread

You are shitting me. This is the last thing we need. Now there is one car manufacturer left (Ferrari doesn't count). Come on McLaren, grab Kobayashi! :p

Does that mean we might not be able to see the awesomeness of Kobayashi next year? :(

That's a real good chance. He really could get the short end of the stick here. He has already stated he does not have the money for GP2, so his first points could be his last....

I'm pretty sure a new team or a current team will grab him. They aren't blind. If we spot a talent, surely the team managers can do.

I think Toyota is losing it...first their car reliability drops, then they fail to grab a winner (Kobayashi) when they see one...

I think Toyota is losing it...first their car reliability drops, then they fail to grab a winner (Kobayashi) when they see one...

I really don't get it. F1 is cutting expenses, Whitmarsh said it now costs 40% less than in 2007 and bound to become even cheaper. They are 5th in constructors, often in points and have a great young Japanese prospective (Kobayashi) as well as a chance to get an experienced driver at a discount price: Glock, Trulli, Heidfeld, Fisi, Kovalainen or even Nakajima to make Japanese duo.

Sounds to me it's the same as Honda, bugging out two minutes before finding gold.

The least they could do is sponsor Kobayashi so he gets a seat in more or less decent F1 team next season, maybe Toro Rosso alongside Buemi, Renault with Kubica or Sauber as they get the 13th spot.

Last edited:
This seems to be how japanese manufacturers do decisions. It was the same with Honda and Subaru: There is no long term planning, the company board just comes together and decides out of the blue that 'we want out' and that's it.

According to Autosport this is now official, btw.

I hope Sauber gets a place now.

Toyota never had what it takes, they had the cash but I don't think they had the engineering talent or ingenuity that a lot of the British based teams have. I mean this years best cars were all from Brit based teams and for less money then Toyota spent. We must view f1 ina different light to the likes o Toyota and Honda.

Toyota Leaving F1.... good grief. They were one of the most pointless teams in F1 history.

its official now.

Toyota pulls out of Formula 1
By Matt Beer Wednesday, November 4th 2009, 08:13 GMT

Toyota has announced that it is to pull out of Formula 1 with immediate effect.

The Japanese car company revealed its surprise decision in a news conference in Tokyo today following an earlier board meeting. It said the current economic situation had prompted its departure.

"Toyota Motor Corporation (TMC) announces it plans to withdraw from the FIA Formula 1 world championship at the end of the 2009 season," said a Toyota statement.

"TMC, which had viewed its participation in F1 as contributing to the prosperity of automotive culture, remained dedicated to competing at the pinnacle of motor sports even in the face of the abrupt economic changes that started last year.

"However, when considering TMC's motorsports actitives next year and beyond from a comprehensive mid-term viewpoint reflecting the current severe economic realities, TMC decided to withdraw from F1"

There had been doubts about Toyota's F1 future after the company reported its first ever operating loss in March, and given the departures of fellow manufacturers Honda and BMW. Toyota had also pulled its Fuji track, which hosted the 2007 and 2008 Japanese Grands Prix, from the calendar, and its customer team Williams decided to end its engine deal a year early.

But Toyota signed the new Concorde Agreement, committing it to the world championship through 2012, and team boss John Howett was adamant that the squad would be on the grid in 2010, although there were hints of a reduced budget.

The team had been pressing ahead with 2010 preparations - approaching big name drivers including Kimi Raikkonen and Robert Kubica, and talking of signing impressive stand-in Kamui Kobayashi for next year as recently as last weekend. Current drivers Jarno Trulli and Timo Glock had already been expected to move on.

"TMC also wants to express its heartfelt gratitude to all Panasonic Toyota Racing drivers to date and to all Toyota Motorsport GmbH employees who have helped make the team's achievements possible," said the statement.

"TMC intends to do its best to find a solution for those parties who will be affected by any inconvenience this decision may cause."

Toyota entered F1 in 2002, and was tipped to swiftly become a championship challenger given its huge budget and resources. But it failed to win a race and has just three pole positions, 13 podium finishes, and a best result of fourth in the 2005 constructors' standings to show for its 139 grands prix.

The departure of Toyota is set to throw the former BMW Sauber team a lifeline, as the Hinwil squad and its new owners had been relying on another team dropping out in order to claim the final spot in next season's expanded 26-car entry.

Renault is also holding an extraordinary board meeting to discuss its future plans today. Although the indications are that the French company is committed to F1, Toyota's decision to pull out could give Renault an opportunity to follow suit if it wished.

Toyota added that it would continue to use its F1 experience in "developing exciting production vehicles" and that it would remain involved in motor racing, albeit at a lower level.

"In motorsports, [Toyota] will not only race in various categories, but will also actively contribute to further development of motorsports by supporting grassroots races and planning events in which it is easy for people to participate."

Toyota announce Formula One withdrawal

Toyota will be absent from the grid next season after the team?s parent company announced its withdrawal from Formula One racing on Wednesday. The team had been competing since 2002.

?Toyota Motor Corporation (TMC) announces it plans to withdraw from the FIA Formula One World Championship at the end of the 2009 season,? said a statement released by the Japanese car manufacturer.

?TMC, which had viewed its participation in F1 as contributing to the prosperity of automotive culture, remained dedicated to competing at the pinnacle of motor sports, even in the face of the abrupt economic changes that started last year.

?However, when considering TMC?s motor-sports activities next year and beyond from a comprehensive midterm viewpoint reflecting the current severe economic realities, TMC decided to withdraw from F1."

Over the last eight seasons, Toyota have scored three pole positions, three fastest laps, 13 podiums and 278.5 points, though never that elusive win. Current race drivers Jarno Trulli and Timo Glock both hope to find seats elsewhere for 2010.

"TMC views its time in F1 - in which teams put forth their best efforts to fiercely compete at racing?s highest level - as an irreplaceable experience that provided an opportunity to develop both human resources and its R&D operations," continued the statement. "TMC expresses its deepest appreciation to its F1 fans and others for their warm support.

?TMC also wants to express its heartfelt gratitude to all Panasonic Toyota Racing drivers to date and to all Toyota Motorsport GmbH employees who have helped make the team?s achievements possible,? continued the statement. ?TMC intends to do its best to find a solution for those parties who will be affected by any inconvenience this decision may cause.?

The news comes as a bitter blow to the team?s third driver Kamui Kobayashi, who had hoped to secure a race seat for next season after impressive performances at the last two rounds where he stood in for the injured Glock. The Williams team, who used Toyota engines this season, have already announced that they will be switching to Cosworth power next season.

Toyota?s withdrawal means the Sauber team, recently sold to new owners after BMW?s pullout, should now be assured of a place on the entry list for next year?s championship.

Toyota?s statement in full:
Tokyo - TOYOTA MOTOR CORPORATION (TMC) announces it plans to withdraw from the FIA Formula One World Championship (F1) at the end of the 2009 season.

TMC, which had viewed its participation in F1 as contributing to the prosperity of automotive culture, remained dedicated to competing at the pinnacle of motor sports, even in the face of the abrupt economic changes that started last year. However, when considering TMC?s motor-sports activities next year and beyond from a comprehensive midterm viewpoint reflecting the current severe economic realities,TMC decided to withdraw from F1.

TMC leaves F1 having compiled 13 podium and 87 point finishes over eight challenging seasons since 2002 with Panasonic Toyota Racing, a full-constructor team. It views its time in F1 - in which teams put forth their best efforts to fiercely compete at racings' highest level - as an irreplaceable experience that provided an opportunity to develop both human resources and its R&D operations. TMC expresses its deepest appreciation to its F1 fans and others for their warm support.

TMC also wants to express its heartfelt gratitude to all Panasonic Toyota Racing drivers to date and to all Toyota Motorsport GmbH employees who have helped make the team?s achievements possible. TMC intends to do its best to find a solution for those parties who will be affected by any inconvenience this decision may cause.

Drawing on its experience in F1 and other motor sports, TMC intends to move forward in developing exciting production vehicles, such as the Lexus ?LFA? supercar and compact rear-wheel-drive sports cars. In motor sports, it will not only race in various categories, but will also actively contribute to further development of motor sports by supporting grassroots races and planning events in which it is easy for people to participate.

No loss really - they came in, spent vast amounts of money, and achieved... absolutely nothing.

So that means we are down to eight current teams continuing and five potential new teams (including Sauber with new ownership). I doubt Toyota is going to sell their F1 team because, unlike having a separate operation for F1 like BMW-Sauber and Honda did, their F1 programme has been running through their motorsports development company.

With as much hype as there has been for having more cars in F1 come 2010 it seems like we are back to where we started, struggling to have more than 20 with potential to go even below that.

Toyota have been running very weird pit strategies as well. I remember doing a One-stopper and only stopping 10 laps from the end of the race

So that means we are down to eight current teams continuing and five potential new teams (including Sauber with new ownership). I doubt Toyota is going to sell their F1 team because, unlike having a separate operation for F1 like BMW-Sauber and Honda did, their F1 programme has been running through their motorsports development company.

With as much hype as there has been for having more cars in F1 come 2010 it seems like we are back to where we started, struggling to have more than 20 with potential to go even below that.

True. Except for Campos, who by the looks of it are dead serious, signing Senna and potentially Russian GP2 vice champ Petrov (who has $10-15m of sponsorship) there's next to nothing.

Further more, it looks like certaing GPs can drop out of 2010 calendar as well. Donington is dead, Silverstone, even though it was reported Berney gave in on some minor issues, still can't afford it, Spa's license has been revoked, Japanese GP could suffer from all Japanese teams, drivers and Bridgestone pulling out, so, worst case scenario F1 might end up with 9 -10 teams and 16-17 GPs instead of 13 and 19.

Last edited:
^ Goddamn if anything happens to Suzuka and the Japanese GP I'll be pissed. I was planning to attend my first GP ever next year or the year after and it was/is most likely to be a trip to Japan!

As for Toyota, I could not give less of a shit they they are leaving, but I am pretty saddened that another manufacturer is bailing. That gives us Mercedes, Ferrari and Renault as manufacturers now? It also sucks for Koboyashi. It seems like he's got Webber's luck before he's even properly started racing!

Toyota officially become the most boring car company around now. Their road cars are fucking depressing to look at and I can only imagine they're just as bad to drive. Now they don't even have F1 for any halo effect, so they're just flat out dull.

We can only hope. Supposedly they've been testing bits of the F61 since Germany. My personal expectations are quite high if they've been testing parts since Mid-July.
I wonder if we are going back to F2010 or continue the anniversary F61 name designation.
A pretty bad way to give a nod to Enzo, the F60.

Hopefully, HELLO SAUBER ! Toyota.... hmm. I'm personally not too caring about whether it stays or leaves, to be honest.