Official 2010 F1 Pre-Season Thread

The thing is, everyone frets about teams possibly not showing up for next year. Ok, so we have a lull one year. Yes that sucks, but one extra year to prepare is better than being at Bahrain and being lapped like crazy. Also, worst case scenario and the new teams fold completely, I can think of at least two groups, Prodrive/Aston Martin and Epsilon Euskadi, who would gladly take a slot for 2011. Even if there are not 26 cars this year, I feel confident in saying there will be a full grid in 2011.

btw, is there any chance Toyota's management and/or an outside source could buy the team and thus keep them in, or is their slot automatically going to Sauber?

The FIA has instituted a "legal review" on Toyota leaving, since as a signatory of the Concorde Agreement, they agreed to participate in F1 through 2012. I wonder if this will have any impact on Renault's Board.

As for USF1, Steve Matchett and SPEED Channel was granted access to their facility in between the Brazilian and Abu Dhabi Grands Prix and they broadcast a few minutes of video during the Abu Dhabi race broadcast. They showed the designers working on CFD models and one of the Haas milling machines making a part. Team co-Principal Peter Windsor also stated that USF1 was on track to be ready for the opening of testing in February.

Are we to assume that Michelin will return now that Bridgestone will be pulling out after 2010?

I don't really have much speculation for next season yet. I'm just watching things develop and I'll see what happens.
It would be an absolute shame to see Kamui disappear after showing such promise like he has.
Senna has done fairly well in GP2, I'll be looking out for him.
Any more info on the Kimi-McLaren rumor? I'd like to see him return to the silver car again.
It will be an interesting season; refueling ban, a handful of new teams and the return of Cosworth.
And I hope to God Ferrari get straight again with their "F2010".

MadCow809 said:
Nico Hulkenberg Q&A - the next Michael Schumacher?
So at Williams next year, does that mean that Rubens will be the next... Rubens Barrichello? :p :wall:

So at Williams next year, does that mean that Rubens will be the next... Rubens Barrichello? :p :wall:

Oh lordy, I would hate to see that happen. :lol:

Anyway, I'm sure Vettel would befit the title more-so than Hulk.

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/80021

Ecclestone sets deadline for Silverstone

By Pablo Elizalde Thursday, November 5th 2009, 11:00 GMT

Formula 1 supremo Bernie Ecclestone has told Silverstone to sign the deal to host the British Grand Prix in the next 48 hours if the race is to stay on the 2010 calendar.

The Briton has been in talks with Silverstone since Donington, who had a contract to host the race next year, failed to raise the necessary money to carry out a redevelopment of the track.

The terms offered to Silverstone are believed to be similar to those that the track rejected 18 months ago as commercially unviable, something that has delayed the completion of a deal.

Ecclestone said, however, that there are no significant disagreements between the two parties, and warned Silverstone to sign the contract or risk not having a British Grand Prix next year.

"They say there is not much between us and them, so they should sign," Ecclestone was quoted as saying by the Daily Express newspaper.

"Maybe they have lost their pen, but if they don't find it in the next day or two then that is it.

"I will pull the race off the calendar and there will be no British Grand Prix to argue about."

So, by Saturday, we should know whether we have a British GP or not.

Are we to assume that Michelin will return now that Bridgestone will be pulling out after 2010?

I believe Michelin left a year early on their last contract, so most pundits expect they're not interested in coming back.

Any more info on the Kimi-McLaren rumor? I'd like to see him return to the silver car again.

Last I heard was that he was not happy with McLaren's payment offer and their sponsor appearance demands. He also is demanding that he be allowed to participate in rally events (not sure if it's WRC or a lower formula) on non-Grand Prix weekends.

Considering Ferrari is supposedly paying him $20 million to not drive in F1 next year, I think McLaren might pass. Kimi evidently thinks the same and has been researching rally rides.

^ Yup, just read an article this morning on that.

darn darn darn.

I did think he really isnt made for McLarens strict system. The haircut, the controlling lifestyle, obligations, rules etc. But the PAYMENT Option!? anything 8 million or greater is a goood deal, (esp since even loeb only makes 7million). whY kimii!?? dont leavee us.

disappointed.

Last edited:
Interesting blog from Ted Kravitz regarding Brawn and their development:
Ked Travitz said:
Team boss Ross Brawn admitted on Saturday night that his car had been out-developed by Red Bull and McLaren, but revealed an impressively daring strategy that should ensure his team are not a one-championship wonder.
The Brawn car arrived at the first grand prix this year as the most developed car of all. Where other teams were only on their Mark I designs, Brawn was at the equivalent of Mk III.
Add what turned out to be the legal double-diffuser concept and they had a massive head start.
The team did some development work on the car, but by the time of the Turkish Grand Prix in early June, Brawn took a gamble.
He believed the car had enough in hand to win the championship, so t
old his design engineers to switch their attentions to the 2010 car.
Brawn told us that they only switched wind-tunnel attention back to the 2009 car for one week between mid-summer and the end of the season when they realised they might need a bit more performance to secure the championship.
All the other time was spent on next year's car.
Ross Brawn is clearly building foundations for the long term, and since the 2010 car won't have the compromised radiator layout and gearbox mounting that this year's car had to accept because of the late switch to Mercedes engine, next year should be stronger still.

I'll be ok as long as McLaren, Ferrari and Red Bull are taking part. Williams and Brawn are the second best. The rest can piss off.

Believe it or not, I agree with ye.

Keep hearing all rumors about USF1 dropping out, but it doesn't make much sense given all of the money spending and moves they are making.

Peter Windsor has denied reports that USF1 will not be ready for next season, following claims that the team has yet to start crash testing and could be for sale.

"The report seemed to come out of Switzerland/Germany, the land of BMW Sauber," sporting director Windsor told GPWeek, referring to the fact that the Hinwil-based team has not yet been granted entry into next year?s championship.

Windsor said "several" components for the 2010 car have been "successfully" crash-tested, and that more tests will take place this and next month.

He denied he recently voted in favour of having the ability to sell USF1's entry, and also shed doubt on the context of quotes attributed to Ross Brawn, where the Brackley-based team's boss seemed to question whether USF1 will be ready to debut next March.

"Back in the real world, we're re-furbishing some trucks we've just bought from Brawn," said Windsor.

http://en.f1-live.com/f1/en/headlines/news/detail/091109132443.shtml

SPEED TV paid USF1's shop in Charlotte a visit between the Brazil and Abu Dhabi GPs and they showed the designers working on CFD work and the machine shop milling parts...

^ Did we expect anything else from F1's master of strategy and planning? :)
That 6 inches off the chassis length; really makes me shake at the idea of it; being compromised that badly, and yet winning the WCC and WDC. Quite something.

Till now it still gives me the creeps. I cant wait to see the BGP002. Naming it like a Gundam (to me) sure glorifies its presence in my head.

So Renault is most likely staying in F1 for 2010, according to GPWeek.com.

GPWEEK understands that Renault will remain in Formula 1 in 2010, despite an emergency meeting of the company?s bosses to discuss the future of the F1 project last week.

It was widely reported that Renault was on the verge of quitting the sport in the wake of Toyota?s decision to quit F1 last week, but Renault President Carlos Ghosn reported positively after the conclusion of the meeting. ?We will let the season develop normally,? he told reporters. ?I do not want to disrupt the current season with any statements from us. I can guarantee you that before the end of the year we?ll make an announcement about our strategy for competing in Formula 1.?

The reference to the current season cannot refer to 2009 as the championship has already run its course. As such, one must assume that Ghosn is referring to 2010 and that any decisions the team has to make will be about its involvement in 2011 and beyond, with numerous investors already believed to be waiting in the wings to take on the team.

Renault?s interim Managing Director Jean-Francois Caubet told France?s L?Equipe: ?We have already contracted our drivers, had our budget approved and are enrolled in the World Championship. Season 2010 has begun already.? Those drivers are Robert Kubica and, we understand, Timo Glock, and it was in Abu Dhabi that Renault announced a new long-term sponsorship deal with watch brand TW STEEL. It is widely believed that TW STEEL?s faith in Renault has been sufficient to convince Renault?s ultimate bosses of the green shoots of recovery in the team?s reputation following the Singapore Grand Prix scandal.

With new sponsors, two of the best young drivers in the sport and a new return to the core values of the Renault F1 team, a total pullout at this juncture thus makes little sense.

In theory:p I dont think Bernie goes to the bathroom with out setting 5 different deadlines, though.

Yup, as yet again the supposed deadline has passed and we've heard nothing as to whats happening with the British GP.

I've just been struggling through an Archaeology article on the development of a landscape for a presentation and I've got to the summary and found out that an part of the area is now the Silverstone circuit! Random.