Official 2011 Formula 1 Pre-Season Thread

Not really my idea of the livery. Too dark means inability to spot any changes/updates during the course of the season.

That may be the general idea...

I can't stand the yellow Pirelli logo. Bridgestone made they logo white (yes I know it's actually black), why can't Pirelli do the same. There will be a great deal of livery clashes this year with that yellow.

I love the giant Lotus logo, so not spiteful, even though it's the size of a dinner plate.

Probably to add some 'degree of error' during pitstops for the entertainment of spectators :D

https://pic.armedcats.net/a/ah/ahpadt/2011/01/17/pirelli.png

Pirelli has changed the logo/writing on the tyres quite a bit(?).

I don't really mind the Pirelli logo, esp. the one just posted. As long as they curve that Pirelli logo with the tire instead of a straight print. Goodyear used to have yellow logos as well and it worked out fine IMO. I'll have to see all the liveries though, might look a bit strange on some cars. Oh and Goodyear had logos on the insides as well :)

800px-Mclaren_MP4_10_B_01.jpg

Massa might win some races if he sticks his head out a bit :p

Last edited:
http://www.itv-f1.com/News_Article.aspx?id=49901
Renault technical director James Allison has described the team?s approach to the design of its new R31 as being at the ?brave end of brave? as it looks to get back to winning ways this year.

The former world champion team goes into the coming season with a new look following the arrival of Lotus Cars as its title sponsor, with its 2011 cars to be pained in the black and gold livery made famous by the original Lotus Formula 1 team.

In its first year under the control of the Genii investment group last year, the Enstone-based squad rebounded strongly from its dismal 2009 campaign and re-established itself in the top five of the constructors? championship.

Hopes are high for a further improvement this season and Allison suggests the team has gone aggressive in the design of its latest challenger in a bid to take that next step forward.

?This time of year is a heady mix of both thrilling excitement of finding out, confirming that all your plans are coming to fruition and also abject terror that you will not deliver the thing in time,? he said in a video interview on Lotus Cars? website.

?Anyone who follows the sport will have seen that words like aggressive, brave, are being bandied around across several of the teams this year for their solutions.

I believe that we have chosen a direction that is really on the brave end of brave.?

Speaking in the same video, team boss Eric Boullier made clear the squad?s ambition for 2011 and expressed confidence that, irrespective of how its rivals? new cars turn out, it has certainly made big improvements.

?We want to win and we want to be successful in Formula 1,? Boullier said.

?The more attention we can get from the fans and the Lotus people and from all our sponsors, we put ourselves into a pressure mode because we have to win.

?We know now we will be much more competitive than last year. We don?t know yet obviously what the other teams, and the other forces, will be in F1 ? but we already know we will be much stronger.?

Chief operating officer Patrick Louis confirmed that the team is looking to take at least two steps forward on last year?s performance in championship terms and revealed it had taken on more work at its Enstone base in a bid to free up additional funds to try and achieve that aim.

?The objective for the team is to finish within the top three in the championship,? Louis said.

?To get along to that objective, based also on the Resource Restriction programmes we have to run, we have been choosing and opting to re-insource a major part of the outsource jobs we have.

?[The team decided to do this] for many, many reasons because based on a higher efficiency in-house we are going to be able to match the volumes [of production], we can improve the quality level and we can decrease the external expenditure.

?So these cost reductions, which we can reinvest into research and development, should provide the future track performance we are looking for.?

Renault isn?t unveiling its R31 until the day before pre-season testing kicks off in Valencia, but the squad showed off the black and gold livery that will be painted onto the car in Birmingham last week.

Allison feels the legendary colour scheme will prove to be the standout livery on the 2011 grid.

?We?ve been fortunate last year with our car we had a very attractive paint scheme and it?s an absolute thrill that this year we?ve managed to surpass even that,? he said.

?We?ve got a paint job on our car this year which looks utterly magnificent. I think it will be the envy of the grid and I?m looking forward to seeing it go round the track.?

Well I guess he's not strapped for cash...

http://www.topgear.com/au/car-news/webber-porsche-gt2rs

Australia's favourite Formula 1 driver, Mark Webber, has reportedly bought a new toy. He has taken delivery of a brand new Porsche 911 GT2 RS, one of a limited run of 500 cars worldwide. Webber paid full price for the lightweight supercar which he bought in the UK last year.

While Webber has an association with Porsche in the UK, willfully paying full price for a car when he could most certainly just as easily get one for free shows what an amazing machine the GT2 RS is.

The most important bit:

Stories from Italy suggest that Pirelli will go one step further and change the colour of the writing on the tyre wall for each compound. The super-soft will reportedly be red, the soft will be white, the medium blue and the hard yellow. Sidewall lettering on the full wet tyre will be yellow and on the intermediates red.

8375.jpg

Blue logo, oh come on. That's just wrong on any car.

I guess the car pictured is running super-softs on one side and hards the other :)