Official 2011 Formula 1 Pre-Season Thread

What the fuck does it matter what compounds they're using as long as they bring a hard and a soft compound to each race?

track surface dictates what compounds (as far as i remember) based on wear. Its kinda important

I kinda wish Pirelli had stuck with marking the tyres the way Bridgestone did it...

track surface dictates what compounds (as far as i remember) based on wear. Its kinda important

No I'm aware of that, but as an armchair F1 fan, it doesn't matter what tyres they bring to an event whether they bring the soft/hards to Monaco or the super softs/softs to Canada the following week. They still come under the generic 'soft' and 'hard' compound labels used by everyone no matter what race it is.

I know where Pirelli got their inspiration from.

https://pic.armedcats.net/r/re/renaultfan/2011/01/20/benetton_b186_bmw_img_23841.jpg

The pages of their own F1 history. :lol:

Red_Bull is right. This is going to be ridiculously confusing, even for knowledgeable F1 fans like us. People who are just casually watching will have no idea and I don't blame them...

Blue logo, oh come on. That's just wrong on any car.

I guess the car pictured is running super-softs on one side and hards the other :)

i guess they just photoshopped the one tire to have a pic to go with the article, and forgot about the other...

Red_Bull is right. This is going to be ridiculously confusing, even for knowledgeable F1 fans like us. People who are just casually watching will have no idea and I don't blame them...

people who watch only occasionally had no idea last year either...

People who are casually watching probably don't care for what tyres they're using.

Remember the German banker who allegedly took a fifty million dollar bribe from Bernie for selling a stake in F1 back to Bernie below market value?

Eventhough Bernie still claims that the accusations are untrue, prosecutors now found a letter addressed to Bernie, reminding him that the payment of a 2.3 million dollar installment was overdue...

Source in German.

ok, i see what people are complaining about. the colors are pointless, just keep the stripe on the softer compound and move on. remember, when they started the 2 compound thing that they just had a small mark and that changed to the stripe so im hoping that will happen here.

Blue logo, oh come on. That's just wrong on any car.

I guess the car pictured is running super-softs on one side and hards the other :)

Unless it's a super cheap PS...which I think would be pointless...then it's only the outer lettering that has the colour change. Look for the P ZERO reflection on the body. That's also yellow.

So apparently Daniel Simon of Cosmic Motors (The team behind some of Tron Legacy's designs) has been brought in to give Hispania a futuristic makeover.

I'm not sure the look of the car was the real problem...

Eric Boullier has moved to clarify reports about the ownership structure of the Enstone-based F1 team now known as Lotus Renault GP.

French carmaker Renault SA recently sold its remaining shareholding in the team to the Luxembourg-based Genii Capital investment company, a report in the Italian magazine Autosprint explained.

There has been some confusion about whether new sponsor Group Lotus has already bought a share of the team or whether it merely intends to in the future.

The Autosprint report clarified that Genii, in fact, currently owns 100 percent of the team.

"Renault decided to re-focus its resources in F1 and sold its remaining 25 percent to Genii Capital," team boss Boullier confirmed.

He said the long-term agreement signed with Group Lotus is essentially for sponsorship at present but that it could "lead to Lotus Cars becoming a shareholder" at a later date.

Meanwhile, Boullier revealed that while the R31 car will debut at Valencia next month, he is not yet sure if Magneti-Marelli's KERS system will be fitted to the car at that stage.

And it has emerged that 25 engineers belonging to Group Lotus' Malaysian carmaker owner Proton will be sent for two-year engagements to work at the F1 team.

"It's a good way to get fresh ideas and a new way of thinking," Boullier said.
http://formula-one.speedtv.com/article/f1-genii-not-group-lotus-owns-renault-team-eric-boullier/

25 engineers belonging to Group Lotus' Malaysian carmaker owner Proton
Oh no!

So why do they still have Renault in the name?

Oh no!

So why do they still have Renault in the name?

Because otherwise they won't be able to take the share in the payout from last year's season.

Remember the German banker who allegedly took a fifty million dollar bribe from Bernie for selling a stake in F1 back to Bernie below market value?

Eventhough Bernie still claims that the accusations are untrue, prosecutors now found a letter addressed to Bernie, reminding him that the payment of a 2.3 million dollar installment was overdue...

Source in German.

Always knew he was a bit of a crook.

Paul Di Resta will race for Force India in 2011.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/motorsport/formula_one/9371985.stm

This is nice, as Paul and I were members of the same kart club and I've been seeing him race since I was about 11 or 12 (and he 10 or 11) at the club's track at Larkhall. I never saw him compete in a race he didn't win by miles back then, and remember he's previously beaten Vettel in the same car over the course of a season. I'm almost worried a Force India won't be enough to show his ability. I don't think I ever chatted to him, just his dad briefly.

In other news, WTF IS ON FERNANDOS FACE/?/
wtf.jpg

Last edited:
There is now a dynasty in racing as well, the Franchitti family, Dario is in IRL, Marino is in ALMS, and Paul (cousin to the Franchiti's) is in F1.