Official 2011 Formula 1 Pre-Season Thread

god I'm so nervous if he doesn't make full recovery, he is one of my favorite drivers. I'm so depressed right now...

this is terrible news from a 2011 F1 standpoint and possibly even a career standpoint for RK, but the good news is that it isnt as bad as initial reports I read were having it- at least he isnt losing his hand. But wow... what a damper for the beginning of the season, heres hoping he makes a full recovery.

I read Fernando Alonso is at the hospital Robert's being operated at the moment. Alonso's always said Robert is his best friend in F1.

I really hope Kubica fully recovers he's one of my favorite drivers!

This really came to be a dreadful week. Film-music legend composer John Barry passed away suddenly on monday, today Kubica with this freak accident, and also news came some time ago that guitarist-singer Gary Moore had died. :(

All in all, if Robert comes back after this, he's a true hero and fighter.

Not necessary...Grosjean is also a reserve driver. And we can't be sure that Kubica won't return in time for the opener.

And we can't be sure that Kubica won't return in time for the opener.

Even with the limited extent of the information we've been given about the injuries... recovering in one month from this kind of injury is nigh-on impossible. So a replacement will be needed at least for the flyaway races.

I can't be bothered to care who replaces him, in my opinion he is a unique character in F1, you can't help but to like the guy and root for him.
I hope he can make it back to F1, or any form of autosport for that matter. :cry:

At the moment, it is more a case of -if-, rather than -when-, RK will get back to F1.

Latest news says the doctors reduced the fracture to right hand (not left... however...) and should have saved his hand. Daniele Morelli, RK's manager, said the car skid on wet tarmac and hit the guardrail, then bounced around a bit and then hit it again in a place ehre it was starting, so the metal blade of the guardrail pierced through the car.

Even with the limited extent of the information we've been given about the injuries... recovering in one month from this kind of injury is nigh-on impossible. So a replacement will be needed at least for the flyaway races.

True dat, my sense of time is so useless...come to think of it, I only want him to be able to make a full recovery and to drive in F1 again, time doesn't actually matter.

Russian F1news.ru quoted Kubica's surgeon, Igor Rossello, who oversaw the 7-hour operation on Kubica's hand, he basically said that next week will tell whether the (re-attached) hand will function or will have to be removed, and, if everything goes well it can take up to a year for the hand function to fully recover.

Last edited:
Kubica rehab could be six months or more

This obviously has no facts in it in relation to Kubicas injury but as James says it's "the thoughts and insights of an experienced and active hand reconstruction surgeon". I hope he's wrong and this'll be quicker than that....

EDIT:
From Autosport forum courtesy of CaptainJackSparrow

A quote from Dr. Rossello:

The situation of the hand was clearly serious, it was nearly amputated and we?ve reconstructed completely, first recomponing the fracture and then working on muscles and nervous tissue. The operation has been successful, i don?t want to say too much but we?re quite confident. Kubica should get back the total functionality of the hand for his vital functions and maybe his driving profession. However, it will need some time, perhaps a whole year of rehabilitation. By the way, everything?s been good.?

Last edited:
I stumbled across this news on Autosport earlier this morning (was up pretty early as I had to run mum to work) and I nearly brought my breakfast up I got such a shock. Jesus Christ, hopefully he can come back to F1 eventually, but I wouldn't be surprised if he's out for the entire season or for good, but.. um, I'm not even sure how to finish that sentence. Ugh..this makes me feel sick. :cry:

All my most positive thoughts and wishes to him!

in this brief from Formula1.com it states that the most likely person would be Senna

Kubica suffers multiple injuries in rally crash 06 Feb 2011

Renault race driver Robert Kubica has been diagnosed with multiple fractures to his right arm, leg and hand after suffering a high-speed accident on Sunday while competing in the Ronde di Andora Rally in Italy.

Kubica, a regular in rallying events alongside his F1 career, was airlifted from the scene of the crash and has been undergoing surgery at the Santa Corona Hospital in Pietra Ligure, with most attention focused on his injured hand. His co-driver Jakub Gerber was unhurt.

It means Kubica will be forced to miss this week?s Formula One test session at Jerez in Spain, and is also highly doubtful for the season-opening Bahrain Grand Prix next month. Top of the list to stand in for the Pole will be Bruno Senna, who raced for HRT last season and was announced as a Renault third driver earlier this week.

Reports suggest that Kubica lost control of his Skoda Fabia on damp roads and hit a wall during Sunday?s opening rally stage. The car is then understood to have impacted with a barrier, which pierced its footwell.

Renault are expected to release more details on his condition later on Sunday.

Why not Grosjean? Would they have time to 'try out' either one, or are opportunities really nill at this stage before Bahrein? I assume they'd want to stick with one guy focusing on the testing. :think:

Only positive thing I can see coming from this is that it might give us a better look at where Petrov really is at, without putting him up against someone of Kubica's ability.

Last edited:
Well at least they're talking about a year before full recovery, but hopefully those amputation rumours die down because none of us want to see that. Lets really hope for the best!

Senna or Grosjean. None of them impressed. If I were Boullier I'd be looking at other options, although who they might be I don't know. You'd probably want someone for the whole year if RK is out for that long not this chopping and changing. Maybe a compelling presentation to one Kimi Raikkonen? :p

Hopefully he gets better even if it takes a whole season. It would be a great story to see him back in an F1 car and win the WDC one day.. Awful day in general after I saw it on the net..

I think that Boullier said that Senna was right in line behind either driver to stand in for them.