Official 2011 Formula 1 Pre-Season Thread

It's hard to believe that they didn't think of Ford while naming F150. But come on, be reasonable. I found good comment on that - "it's not like all American farmers will change their pickups for an F1 cars". All Ford gets is free publicity and probably the only reason behind that suit is more publicity. They should make fun of that, like "even Ferrari is coping our truck" or something.

And nice idea from the teams with that message. BTW, Robert is out of intensive care and now on orthopedics.

You know, I'd imagine, Ford to jump on the bandwagon and go something like "Our truck's sooo good, even our longtime competitor in the 60's whom we trashed 4 times on the trot decided to use the name for their car" or "The Ford F150. You get the same name for 10 times less the price of a F1 car."

Gee, "The F150. As fast as a F1 car." I could go on and on :lol:

I'd love it if Heidfeld would become a serious wdc competitor in 2011. Just sayin... i love underdogs

Delarosa is too old (and slow, as shown last year at sauber where nick bagged the same amount of points in 3 races than delarosa did in half a season), liuzzi is too inconsistent, and senna an unknown...

You know, I'd imagine, Ford to jump on the bandwagon and go something like "Our truck's sooo good, even our longtime competitor in the 60's whom we trashed 4 times on the trot decided to use the name for their car" or "The Ford F150. You get the same name for 10 times less the price of a F1 car."

Gee, "The F150. As fast as a F1 car." I could go on and on :lol:

Problem with this scenario is that the target demographic of the Ford F-150, white working-class small-town Americans, care about Nascar and/or IndyCar and don't give a fuck about F1. F1 for them are the guys that turn up in Indianapolis just to not race.

Vettel hopes Kubica can run in rallying again once he recovers from his injuries and starts racing competitively again... and I totally agree with him. Doing other forms of motorsport isn't a distraction for these drivers, it's just another method of keeping race-fit and it's so much more than that for some drivers. Freak accidents happen everywhere, there's always an element of bad luck in this kind of event.

Vettel hopes Kubica can run in rallying again once he recovers from his injuries and starts racing competitively again... and I totally agree with him. Doing other forms of motorsport isn't a distraction for these drivers, it's just another method of keeping race-fit and it's so much more than that for some drivers. Freak accidents happen everywhere, there's always an element of bad luck in this kind of event.

I agree - if teams limit things it should be things like Rock Climbing or Extreme sports (webber with his biking...)...

In my perfect motorsports world, all F1 drivers are forced by the FIA to do at least one race longer than 1000 miles during the season: so one of Daytona, Nurburgring and Le Mans 24h, Petit Le Mans or 12h of Sebring. :lol: And that should also help them to wind down a bit by experiencing a form of motorsport that's far more laid-back and relaxed in the paddock.

I agree - if teams limit things it should be things like Rock Climbing or Extreme sports (webber with his biking...)...

Kubica just has too much bad luck and big crashes... Canada 2007 anyone ?

I'd love it if Heidfeld would become a serious wdc competitor in 2011. Just sayin... i love underdogs

I do wish, that he wins a race. Seriously. About damn time the old fella got his break.

Last edited:
Last edited:

Kubica already said that he will go rallying again.

In my perfect motorsports world, all F1 drivers are forced by the FIA to do at least one race longer than 1000 miles during the season: so one of Daytona, Nurburgring and Le Mans 24h, Petit Le Mans or 12h of Sebring. :lol: And that should also help them to wind down a bit by experiencing a form of motorsport that's far more laid-back and relaxed in the paddock.

Like in old days, when F1 drivers were racing in many other races than GPs.

do the drivers share a car during testing? or do they each drive their own one?

The rule now is that every team can have one car, but it's up to them how many drivers will drive it. Generally they choose one or two drivers. There is break in the middle of every testing day, so for teams using two drivers they usually change at that time.

but aren't things like the seat, the distance to the pedals, position of the steering wheel different for each?
each time drivers are swapped, all has to be adapted?

It's still a Ford pickup, close enough! :p :lol:

I'm another who'll be glad to see Nick back. Hard to believe he's never won a race, and realistically, this could be his last chance to finally do so if that Lotus-Renault whatever-you're-supposed-to-call-it is really any good.