Official: BMW M goes diesel, introduces M550d, X5 M50d, X6 M50d

Yes. I hope.

Impressive figures. It's also nice to hear the people at M actually cared about this and even ditched the electronic power steering. Hydraulic one offers better steering feel, but increases consumption, which is something I thought BMW would do anything to reduce. Apparently driving dynamics were more important factor with these cars. I like that.

I love estates (Wagons) especially with torquey diesels - I'd love one of these in the right colour (Red or Gun metal metallic) without the 'run flats' on please.

Audi, build this. Immediately. In Avant form. With a manual. I'll go sell some organs and get back to you with my cheque.

I'd love the see the weight distribution of that thing. The engine is in the wrong place already and then when it's a big and heavy 6.0 V12 TDI which weights a lot more than the already heavy engine fitted to the RS6... I would probably have huge problems making the rear wheels touch the ground at all and thus making the quattro pretty useless :D

But it would be properly epic.

Impressive figures. It's also nice to hear the people at M actually cared about this and even ditched the electronic power steering. Hydraulic one offers better steering feel, but increases consumption, which is something I thought BMW would do anything to reduce. Apparently driving dynamics were more important factor with these cars. I like that.

Agreed. That helps show that at least some people at BMW still care about driving dynamics and "The Ultimate Driving Machine", instead of just making as many models as possible (i-Series + X1 + X4, etc.).

I tell everyone that BMW is the representation of all that's evil in the known universe, and no one believes me. Now they go and show it to everyone, and everyone just goes "Ooooh, shiny!"

What does this company have to do to convince you? Kill puppies and drink their blood?

You're weird...

What's next? Audi bringing the RS6 with the V12 TDI from the mad Q7?

Probably would be too nose-heavy for the A6. Also not sure if it would fit.

Audi, build this. Immediately. In Avant form. With a manual. I'll go sell some organs and get back to you with my cheque.

You want a manual quattro with a torque of about 800 Nm at 1500 rpm? Dude, save money for lots of replacement clutches already. Besides, have you ever driven a current 7- or 8-speed automatic?

Personally I don't think that Audi will respond to this. But if they do, they would also prep up the V6 diesel or put in the V8 diesel from the A8. But we'll see.

Last edited:
You're weird...

Indeed, and actually, this Clarkson quote: BMW: built by Germans, driven by tossers

...should rather say Audi: built by Germans, driven by tossers. Because that's how it is nowadays, in DK at least.

Oh, and by the way. Just give me a standard 535d with old-school RWD and slightly more discrete styling.

The funny thing is, though, that all the BMW or Audi drivers I personally know, aren't tossers at all... The son of the owner of my favourite restaurant for example owns an A8 with 21 inch rims. He is a great guy and a real car nut.

The biggest tosser I know, however, drives a Daihatsu Cuore.

Last edited:
I acknowledge that the Clarkson quote is old (it's from one of his late 90s videos). I also acknowledge that my hatred of BMWs comes from living in Frankfurt between 1988 and 1991, and the deluge of boring bankers in boring boxes behaving like assholes formed my opinion. I will also state that since 1991, I have been living in the United States, where Audi has not fully replaced BMW as the car of choice for pricks with too much money. So there are non-weird, completely rational reasons for me to maintain said hatred.

The stereotypical drivers for German cars around here is such:

BMW: Pricks
Audi: CFOs in their fifties
Mercedes: Upper management or pimps
Porsche: Testosterone replacement candidates
VW: They don't know any better

I acknowledge that the Clarkson quote is old (it's from one of his late 90s videos). I also acknowledge that my hatred of BMWs comes from living in Frankfurt between 1988 and 1991, and the deluge of boring bankers in boring boxes behaving like assholes formed my opinion. I will also state that since 1991, I have been living in the United States, where Audi has not fully replaced BMW as the car of choice for pricks with too much money. So there are non-weird, completely rational reasons for me to maintain said hatred.

The stereotypical drivers for German cars around here is such:

You named your real problem there: Frankfurt. The city of Frankfurt is tosser central. It's not the cars, it's the Frankfurters ;) And the rest of Germany doesn't even come close to the percentage of tossers there.

I forgive you for your weirdness, because you clearly suffered a traumatic experience, having to live there for 3 years :p

Last edited:
The funny thing is, though, that all the BMW or Audi drivers I personally know, aren't tossers at all... The son of the owner of my favourite restaurant for example owns an A8 with 21 inch rims. He is a great guy and a real car nut.

The biggest tosser I know, however, drives a Daihatsu Cuore.

Audi-owners are probably nice people in general, but many of them turn into complete idiots as soon as they grab the wheel. One of the most common symptoms are of course tail-gating.

That's how it looks in Germany:
BMW: Turks and Arabs
Audi: The kind of Pricks and Yuppies that had BMWs in the 80s and 90s.
Merc: Pensioners who can afford better than an Opel
Porsche: "I have a midlife crisis, but I don't want a Harley."
VW: It's the ultimate everyperson's car.

I told a friend that all Audi drivers are cocks. She complained "but my dad drives an Audi". I told her that that might be true, but her dad most likely drives a silver Audi 80 sedan and wears a hat while driving. Her answer: "It's an A3, but how did you know about the hat?".

EDIT: And the drug dealer living in my neighborhood who daily drives an R8, rain or shine, gets a honorable mention again.

Last edited:
I get more often tailgated by Passat or MPV drivers than Audis, to be honest. Not to mention the white van drivers. Also some of the SUV drivers are real assholes.

But maybe things have changed here already again, compared to the rest of the world :)

Let me update this:
BMW: Turks and Arabs
Audi: The kind of Pricks and Yuppies that had BMWs in the 80s and 90s.
Merc: Pensioners who can afford better than an Opel
Porsche: "I have a midlife crisis, but I don't want a Harley."
VW: It's the ultimate everyperson's car.

You're out, because even a Smart would tailgate you :p

Last edited:
You want a manual quattro with a torque of about 800 Nm at 1500 rpm? Dude, save money for lots of replacement clutches already. Besides, have you ever driven a current 7- or 8-speed automatic?

Personally I don't think that Audi will respond to this. But if they do, they would also prep up the V6 diesel or put in the V8 diesel from the A8. But we'll see.

I never said it was an intelligent idea :p

What's with all the Diesel love here? Engines that run out of steam at around 4k rpm (a powerband as narrow as in a VTEC engine but without any of the excitement), make dull (in the best of cases) noises and smell badly. Give me a proper petrol engine anyday.

What's with all the Diesel love here? Engines that run out of steam at around 4k rpm (a powerband as narrow as in a VTEC engine but without any of the excitement), make dull (in the best of cases) noises and smell badly. Give me a proper petrol engine anyday.

Excitement?! Oh, I think these M-versions will deliver much excitement. The diesel way! Fuck yeah!!