[Official] Clarkson announces new show! / Amazon Video [Hammond & May too]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Oh blah.. I was able to browse all content on their video service, but I cannot actually watch anything.
Looking at their "terms of use", it says that it is only available in the US.
Bastards, they were still happy to let me sign up and take my money.

Last edited:
Hm. I would have thought that Netflix would have been a better match for their viewer demographics. On the other hand, Amazon does have more money to throw around than Netflix does and the CHM show will be a draw for Prime, which should result in a big increase in incidental and impulse purchases on Amazon.

Either way, this levels the playing field against those people saying that such a show could not work anywhere near as well anywhere else but the BBC 'because commercials'. We will now be able to see if it can work in a different commercial free medium.

There are already "webrip" torrents of all series on Netflix/Hulu etc already, so the answer to your question is that it will definately be available for download.
I'm happy to pay for it though, now that we are actually able to pay (unlike when it was on BBC), seeing how many hours of entertainment these guys have given me over the years.

THIS! I've been saying for years that I'd happily pay for the privilege of watching Top Gear as it comes out in the original format!

So, to all those who've also been saying that; lets put our money where our mouths are. :cool:

I absolutely agree. There was no "right" way of watching Top Gear here in Germany. I am more than happy to support a new, international broadcast which is available to most of the people.

To those complaining: Netflix availability is not much better, there are many countries in which the service does not exist.

It's interesting to see how people are commenting that its on a streaming service they don't currently subscribe to. It's not like the same people were paying for BBC UK to be able to watch the past 20+ seasons of TG...................

I agree however that AZ Prime is a very restricted audience as compared to Netflix, but would we have the same issue with the music they use? Different countries and 'world edition's would get different scores.

So they chose money rather than availability. Amazon is trying to buy themselves into the market and as mentioned above the three would be a very welcome addition. Not really sure what to think of it.

I hope there is a way to get the episodes without having to sign up for Amazon prime whatever....

Wonder how much money and liberties they are throwing at the guys to outbid Netflix. Seems like a huge get for them.

Currently, this is announced as being "exclusive to Amazon prime". There's no guarantee that will last forever.

Amazon sell individual episodes of some of their shows. For example, episode one of Vikings is ?1.89 in SD and ?2.49 in HD.

No reason why Amazon wouldn't sell individual episodes, or even a series: series 1 of Castle is ?9.99 SD / ?14.99 HD.

That means there will almost certainly eventually be legal ways of watching the trio without having to get a Prime subscription.

Last edited:
I agree however that AZ Prime is a very restricted audience as compared to Netflix, but would we have the same issue with the music they use? Different countries and 'world edition's would get different scores.

Amazon is in a better position to do that than Netflix, I think. Netflix would have had to secure and pay for licensing, but Amazon may be able to get a break on that because it's a music and movie seller already - which means there are already existing agreements that say Amazon can use segments of songs and such as part of promoting the sale of same. They already have their foot in the door on that one - and they might be able to be clever and set it up so that at the end of a show, there's clickable links to go purchase the tracks from an episode in the Amazon music store, which would easily fulfill the letter of such an agreement...

THIS! I've been saying for years that I'd happily pay for the privilege of watching Top Gear as it comes out in the original format!

So, to all those who've also been saying that; lets put our money where our mouths are. :cool:
For me it's going to greatly depend on what they do with the show.

I was hoping they might go to their roots more, but I really doubt that's going to happen now. Recent seasons of TopGear haven't blown me away, so if this is just more of the same old stuff, regurgitated for the dozenth time, I can't see myself bothering with another subscription fee.

Still, I'm excited to see what they'll do with this opportunity.

So they chose money rather than availability. Amazon is trying to buy themselves into the market and as mentioned above the three would be a very welcome addition. Not really sure what to think of it.

Don't forget how hideously expensive Top Gear was to make, I don't expect the new show to be much cheaper. The amount of money they get will dictate what we get to see.

Don't forget how hideously expensive Top Gear was to make, I don't expect the new show to be much cheaper. The amount of money they get will dictate what we get to see.

I just hope they use their resources for "Let's start afresh" rather than "Let's continue from where we left off".

I dunno, I'm not convinced that Amazon is as good as Netflix especially when Amazon's own FAQ admits as much and then it's another service I have to pay for on top of Netflix, Apple Music, Audible and Fatso... oh well just have to wait until it comes out and make up my mind then.

Amazon is in a better position to do that than Netflix, I think. Netflix would have had to secure and pay for licensing, but Amazon may be able to get a break on that because it's a music and movie seller already - which means there are already existing agreements that say Amazon can use segments of songs and such as part of promoting the sale of same. They already have their foot in the door on that one - and they might be able to be clever and set it up so that at the end of a show, there's clickable links to go purchase the tracks from an episode in the Amazon music store, which would easily fulfill the letter of such an agreement...

I may not be an expert on copyright law but I'm pretty sure it doesn't work like that, knowing the music industry they'll want upwards of $10k a song just like any other television show would have to pay.

I just hope they use their resources for "Let's start afresh" rather than "Let's continue from where we left off".

I'd imagine they'll have to do it at least a little bit differently.

Last edited:
Not necessarily if there are links online or in the credits for people to listen to clips and purchase the tracks they like. With TG's global audience artists will be clamouring to volunteer their music to be used in the show.

I may not be an expert on copyright law but I'm pretty sure it doesn't work like that, knowing the music industry they'll want upwards of $10k a song just like any other television show would have to pay.

One of my clients is a TG fan and an IP (intellectual property) lawyer. She told me that it depends on how the previously-signed contracts were written but it's very likely that by the letter of the contracts they can - at least under US law.

- - - Updated - - -

Not necessarily if there are links online or in the credits for people to listen to clips and purchase the tracks they like. With TG's global audience artists will be clamouring to volunteer their music to be used in the show.

Yup, this. If they offer clear links to the songs used in the Amazon store, they are at least in the eyes of US law, using it to promote sales of the songs.

There is absolutely no way in hell that the contracts are written in such a way they will get free music rights for use in programming all because they have previews for their music sales, that's absolutely ridiculous to think it might be the case.

I wonder how this new deal with affect Hammond and May's future work with the BBC. Last I heard they were still making shows with them.

- - - Updated - - -

I'm surprised there doesn't appear to be any video of the big announcement.

Clarkson announces new show! / Amazon Video

Clarkson announces new show! / Amazon Video

There is absolutely no way in hell that the contracts are written in such a way they will get free music rights for use in programming all because they have previews for their music sales, that's absolutely ridiculous to think it might be the case.

A board certified lawyer says otherwise, I tend to think she might know her area of specialty in the law better than you or I, so I think I'll go with her position. There's also precedent, apparently. Either way, we'll find out soon enough.

If nothing else, Amazon already had the music industry contacts to start negotiations if their current licensing deals couldn't be stretched to cover it. They don't have to start from scratch there like Netflix would.

Last edited:
Oh. Disappointed you can't get Amazon Instant Video on its own anymore. Instead of paying for something like ?7.99 a month and you can cancel at anytime, you now have to pay ?79 a year?

This. But I'm hoping that with more freedom and a less restricted schedule compared to TV, they'll be able to put out more episodes a year.

Oh blah.. I was able to browse all content on their video service, but I cannot actually watch anything.
Looking at their "terms of use", it says that it is only available in the US.
Bastards, they were still happy to let me sign up and take my money.

You can ask for a refund if you haven't used any services. I didn't have a problem getting my money back when I signed up for Prime and realized I don't order enough stuff to justify it.

but would we have the same issue with the music they use? Different countries and 'world edition's would get different scores.

That's always been an issue, not necessarily tied to Amazon. Record labels release different songs in different regions for some reason that I never understood - why not let the fans hear all the songs. For some reason its always Japan. For example this Deep Purple album.

Status
Not open for further replies.