[Official] Clarkson announces new show! / Amazon Video [Hammond & May too]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Amen to that. Essentially it could be another reboot of Top Gear with a new format while the current format more or less remains with new presenters and we can have three incarnations of one show available to us:
Fifth Gear - Old Old Top gear
Top Gear - Old New Top Gear
CHM on Amazon - New New Top Gear

It'll be like Coca-Cola only with tyre squeal...

I hope it'll be a reboot with the good elements we all love (challenges, races, road trips, news) but maybe also with something new. I doubt they will be able to use the old test track, since I suspect the BBC is going to keep both the track, the location, the Stig and SIARPC segment for their next version of Top Gear.

I really hope they keep the audience, though, since an essential part of the Top Gear charm has always been the audience in the studio. It brought a really nice atmosphere.

I hope it'll be a reboot with the good elements we all love (challenges, races, road trips, news) but maybe also with something new. I doubt they will be able to use the old test track, since I suspect the BBC is going to keep both the track, the location, the Stig and SIARPC segment for their next version of Top Gear.

Actually, I've been wondering about some of that, in regards to the Chris Evans Top Gear -- especially given how they gutted the studio/hangar after it was clear that the CH&M show was dead. Did they ever do that kind of thing between seasons, previously? And beyond that, might they have also killed whatever rental/lease agreement they had with the hangar's owners, and thus might the owners have already done some kind of deal to rent it out to someone else? And in the end, if Evans doesn't use it, could CH&M use it if it was available for rental? Unless the BBC actually owns the dang thing, what might stop CH&M from moving right back in, if it's available?

Unless, of course, CH&M moves to the US, to be closer to the Amazon mothership. Not that I expect to see that, by any means....

Rumour has it that the show has a $250 million budget for 3 years and 36 episodes.

Link here, from Business Insider.

I just saw that - if it's true, Amazon is clearly not messing around. That's enough to just buy the supercars they test instead of borrowing them. A season of BBC TG cost something like $5M if I recall correctly.

That's just under 7 million $ per episode!

That's more than Game of Thrones costs.

Sweet jesus.

Also, 36 episodes over 3 years is a lot of CHM.

Honestly if they would open up a video only tier of prime, I'd ditch Netflix for it. This announcement was the straw that finally pushed me in that direction.

Netflix really doesn't have anything I want to watch on it.

But Prime Instant Video also doesn't or makes it difficult to suss out what is included and what isn't.

If Prime Instant Video let me watch shows from Investigation Discovery, and CNBC's American Greed, I'd be on it tomorrow.

I think this reboot is going to turn out pretty dank.

Amazon is putting some serious money into original content and unlike Netflix is putting money into bagging exclusive shows as well so I wouldn't be surprised if they were spending that much money per episode.

At least in the UK it is fairly easy to work out which shows are on Prime as they have a Prime image on the preview picture.

What I like about Amazon over Netflix is the option to buy a show to keep and download, even if it is removed from the streaming service. They also make some shows freely available even without a subscription - like all of their pilot runs.

I heard a rumour that Clarkson has a non-compete with the BBC that means he can't produce another car show in the UK for a British channel - so it may be that at least until that runs out Top Gear will be made in the USA for Amazon USA rather than the UK arm.

Okay, I'm confused again. On Tumblr someone posted an Amazon UK response stating that the show was exclusive to the UK and would not be shown anywhere else. @AmazonVideoUK tweeted yesterday "The show will be available in the U.S!" So which is it?:?

Okay, I'm confused again. On Tumblr someone posted an Amazon UK response stating that the show was exclusive to the UK and would not be shown anywhere else. @AmazonVideoUK tweeted yesterday "The show will be available in the U.S!" So which is it?:?

It would have to be global to make back the $250M they're supposedly putting into it. Screencap the response?

Why would it be UK only? That'd make no sense and would be leaving money on the table. It's going to be global.

Thats not a region thing, he was responding to a Prime vs Instant Video in regards to exclusivity

Also from that link:

Each of the three seasons commissioned by Amazon will feature 12 episodes of roughly 60 minutes in length, he claimed, with the first due for delivery in the fall of next year. But unlike other streaming formats, he suggested the season might not be made available in one go, instead keeping with the weekly scheduling Top Gear enjoyed on the BBC.

So it's about a year away.

In the wake of Clarkson?s dismissal from the BBC, Wilman admitted that there had been "very early chats" with fellow British broadcaster ITV, but a contractual clause had barred them from creating a motoring series on a terrestrial rival for two years.

That confirms the talks with ITV as well as the non-compete clause.

Last edited:
$250m for 36 episodes...holy shit. IIRC the budget for TG was around ?500k per episode so 36 episodes would cost ?18m. So what all this means is they pretty much multiplied their old budget by (almost) 10 and they don't have to deal with BBC political correctness bullshit. Ladies and gentlemen, our boys have hit gold! :D

Awesome news, but knowing I have to wait for more than a year makes me kinda sad (IIRC the longest gap between TG series' was just under a year due to the Olympics or World Cup). :(

Status
Not open for further replies.