Official FG Boating Thread

Jupix

So we've been thinking of starting a thread on boating for a while, it's been bugging me that I can't seem to find such a thread with the search thingie, even though it seems unbelievable that no discussion on the hobby has taken place thus far... Anyways... As I said it's more about the hobby that you enjoy in your own boat and surroundings, less about the awesome boats/ships/super-yachts.

I've been blessed with really nice surroundings for boating as we live on the beaches of the Europe's 4th largest lake, or more appropriately a large inland body of water. It's possible to visit 3 or 4 major cities by boat, depending on your definition of a major city of course, and also go down the Saimaa Canal to Russia and onwards to the Baltic Sea / Gulf of Finland.

I currently spend my summer days on a 2003 Rinker 232 CC, a 23-foot daycruiser (a cuddy boat), mostly cruising the waters near my hometown of Lappeenranta. The boat's powered by Mercruiser's 5 litre EFI V8 and Alpha 1 drive. It's got the Silent Choice (or Captain's Call) system which means it's got the traditional drive exhaust, and also straight pipes, which should please Posmo. ;)

Here's one of my favourite places (and also one of the only places I've photographed):
satamo.jpg

It's an island called Satamo about an hour's cruise away from Lappeenranta, situated in a close proximity to the Great Saimaa region of the water system. It has a beautiful and very protected bay that's right in the middle of the island with the possibility of mooring and anchorage. It's also very clean as is typical for a Finnish campsite. It's got laavus and saunas, and everything. A really nice place to go chill on a beautiful day and maybe spend the night. The Rinker's in the photo, docked closest to the viewer.

I'm currently doing some work on the exhaust which is preventing me from actually doing some boatin', but we should be ready to splash down next week, or the one after that. Being locked on dry land has been a chore the last couple of weeks as the weather has been treating us particularly well, but at least I've been able to ogle at some nice boats in the city's harbor, such as a 42-foot Azimut, some other big flybridge cruisers, a large-ish Sun Odyssey sailboat and just yesterday a 35 foot Cobalt, an offshore cuddy powerboat with possibly twin V8s.

Anyway, any other boats/boat nuts in here and where do you boat?

Anyway, any other boats/boat nuts in here and where do you boat?

We're sailing mostly around the Western Baltic Sea, Danish islands, Kattegat... whatever's reasonably close by for trips lasting from a few hours to a few weeks at 1-8 knots depending on the wind :lol:

Already got an image here, it's a 2008 Halberg-Rassy 342, powered by the wind or a 29hp Volvo.

PS: Your panorama needs a helping of content-aware :lol: