Official korean food thread (no dogs)

edkwon

Forum Addict
Car(s)
2020 Kia Telluride, Tesla Model Y
Ok, I'm just curious who here has actually had korean food before or just believe that koreans eat nothing but dog meat (which is actually extremely rare and hard to find in korea, and unheard of in korean restaurants anywhere else in the world) or are just echoing jokes you've heard made on Top Gear in the past?

And to those who have had korean BBQ, tofu soups, seafood dishes, noodles, please let us know if any of you have had the legendary canine dishes?

To kick off with a few pictures

Most korean BBQ meats are the usual beef, pork and chicken

for example, beef short ribs aka Kalbi

GT0107_kalbi_s4x3_lg.jpg

marinated non-rib beef, chicken or pork aka 'bulgogi'

bulgogi.jpg

pork belly, aka bacon, aka 'samgyupsal'

wine-sam-gyup-sal-todam-050809.jpg

non BBQ items

rice bowl mixed w meat n vegetables, aka 'bibimbap'

bibimbap2.jpg

korean soft tofu stew mixed with meat, seafood and vegetables, aka 'soondubu jjigae'

tumblr_kt934qf79t1qzn4vjo1_500.jpg

Last edited:
I have a recipe for korean bbq from a korean friend, but I haven't gotten around to making it yet. I need to do that, it sounds delicious.

I chose a bad week to go on a diet.

It has been years since I have eaten Korean. Where I used to live I would go 2-3 times a month, and must have ate everything on the menu. My wife and I had our first date there! ^_^

The place I went to was mostly bbq and 90 million varieties of kimchi.

This place in Toronto is amazing. $8.99 AYCE bbq at lunch/after hours and the food is actually quite good. I always make it point to go here whenever I'm in Toronto. Price/value/taste can't be beat.

Some more pics

Pa Jun - a seafood and scallion pancake

pajun-1.JPG

Yook gae jang - spicy beef and kimchee based soup

42bf153b88af2adb_m.jpg

Gori Gom Tang - non spicy beef ox tail soup

ox-tail-soup.jpg

Hwe Dup Bab - Rice bowl dish served with raw fish/sashimi instead of cooked meat

DSC_0965.258172401_std.JPG

I love bulgogi! At least once a month I get a pound of beef already sliced for stir fry (I'm lazy), marinate it with some JES Korean Barbecue sauce, and slap it on the grill. It's about as Korean as I am (Which is to say not at all), but delicious nonetheless.

One of these days, I'm going to try kimchee. I love sauerkraut, so I figure I'll love kimchee too.

(Puts on asbestos trousers in anticipation of edkwon's reply.)

chop chae - beef, vegetables stir fried with thin vermicelli rice noodles

3989004674_000cd7f7a2.jpg

doenjang jjigae - fermented miso paste + tofu + vegetables in a soup

doenjang-jjigae.jpg

duk boki ki - thick noodle-like rice cake in spicy sauce

dduk_bok-ki.jpg

duk mandoo guk - sliced rice cake + beef broth + egg + dumplings soup - topped w dried seaweed strips

272457629_a839328e00.jpg

kim bap - meat + pickled and regular vegatable rice rolls, not this is NOT sushi, it just looks like it

kim_bap.jpg

Aww, but dog meat is delicious! Especially stir-fried with hot peppers. It comes out looking like beef but with a texture more like duck. Steamed dog ribs aren't bad either, but it's the sauce that makes those come out really well. Though I draw the line at dog heart, however, as those are similar to duck liver or any other sort of internal organ.

Kalbi is delicious as well, it's been a while since I've had those. And kimchi is basically the worst thing ever, I don't know how anybody can stand that crap. <_<

The only Korean food that I know of and truly love:
ShinRamyun.jpg

? Instant Noodles, the best taste, and best value!

"Hey you like Korean Bar-B-Que?"

CharlieSheen.jpg

Aww, but dog meat is delicious! Especially stir-fried with hot peppers. It comes out looking like beef but with a texture more like duck. Steamed dog ribs aren't bad either, but it's the sauce that makes those come out really well. Though I draw the line at dog heart, however, as those are similar to duck liver or any other sort of internal organ.

Kalbi is delicious as well, it's been a while since I've had those. And kimchi is basically the worst thing ever, I don't know how anybody can stand that crap. <_<

I've tried dog hot pot before, it's pretty good.

Ohhh just had a thought, does anyone read Korean? I assume this character is Korean since it is on the logo of a local Tae Kwon-Do place. I'm trying to figure out what the EH symbol means.

left01_new.jpg

Ohhh just had a thought, does anyone read Korean? I assume this character is Korean since it is on the logo of a local Tae Kwon-Do place. I'm trying to figure out what the EH symbol means.

left01_new.jpg

From what I've been able to find out online, the "EH" looking word means "tae".

Now I feel dumb, I should have looked at the Tae Kwon-Do wiki page as it is right there.

left01_new.jpg

The first character is 'tae' the second is 'kwon', im gonna take a wild guess and the third chacter cutoff from that picture is 'do'.