Official: 'Top Gear' coming to History this fall

I guess the description needs to change from "Adam Carolla, Tanner Foust, and Eric Stromer present this American spin-off" now, doesn't it?

After reading the "interview" with the producer on Jalopnik I have much more hope for the show than I did before. What convinced me to give it a chance was the budget. If they can match anywhere near what proper top gear can do, then with all the little things combined, they'll be fine.

And it may even be better than top gear Australia.

As long as people don't go in expecting TG UK, I think it'll be fine. :)

After reading the "interview" with the producer on Jalopnik I have much more hope for the show than I did before. What convinced me to give it a chance was the budget. If they can match anywhere near what proper top gear can do, then with all the little things combined, they'll be fine.

And it may even be better than top gear Australia.

That, along with the "no car advertising while TG USA is on" thing convinced me. There'd be no excuse for them to not slag on something like..the Sebring, just because a Chrysler ad comes on half way through. I think that if the cohosts have a comfortable dynamic with each other, it could work. Think about the other successful things adapted to the US: While thinking like this brought us the ill-fated Sterling line, and NBC's horrid adaptation of "Coupling," Trading Spaces, SuperNanny and The Office have been wildly successful. While TG USA may never be as popular as those shows, it'll probably carve itself a healthy niche of viewers. If any History channel people are reading this *doubt it* don't forget to factor in people watching your show via your website. I cannot recall if it was CBS or Fox, but one TV show was about to get canceled due to low TV ratings until they looked at people watching it online on their site. Just a thought. :)

james-joyce-this-this-and-this1.jpg

It's not like TG USA is going to completely replace TG UK. If the thought of an American TG (presumably filled with Mustangs, NASCAR and beer guts :roll:) is so shocking, then just ignore it.

Rutledge Wood sounds like a sweet dude to hang out with; anybody who has the testicular fortitude to drive a diesel Rabbit truck tends to be fairly awesome.

https://pic.armedcats.net/b/bl/blaro/2010/04/23/fuck_yeh.jpg

I don't know. I just hope they keep the Top Gear UK humor that "it has 806 break horse power which is like this much" and he makes a box motion with his hands kind of humor. That is why I think TG AU had so many problems. I have a buddy in Adelaide, AU and when i mentioned TG AU to him he said " yeah man you wouldn't tune into that every week now would you" and that is how all my friends in AU feel. I don't know I see this crashing and burning.

I'm going to make my own TG USA where are my other 2 host LMAO BTW one of my host have to look like Vikki Butler Henderson sorry but it is a requirement.

Last edited:
I sincerely hope they don't FORCE characters out of the TG USA 3 straight out of the gate. I fear the first instinct may be to very early on caricaturise (new word) each, in order to get whatever the show's attempt at Captain Slow/Hamster/Powaaaaaaar humour will be. It took years for, for instance, Captain Slow and "Oh COCK..." to happen, and there will no doubt be plenty of viewers who would prefer TG USA focused on cars and not characters, overall, anyway.

So, yeah, that's my wish. Please let the show/them develop quasi-organically. Show us, don't tell us. The cynic in me is...well, not too optimistic that this'll happen, tho.

Tanner Foust said:
"We have a Stig and the camera adds ten pounds," Foust said. "That's all I'm saying."

Well, he has a sense of humor, so that's good.

Wow! :mouse:

I didn't know the show was a go! I thought it had been canceled months ago! What happened!?:huh:

Well, never mind... I'm just glad it's on! Is there a specific date set for the first episode yet?

Well, never mind... I'm just glad it's on! Is there a specific date set for the first episode yet?

Last I heard was Fall-ish.

I honestly think the success or failure of this show will rely primarily on what they do outside of "car reviews." The Challenges, adventures, and other crap that Clarkson and his boys do is what really keeps me interested. Anyone can do a "humorous" car review as shown by the ever growing number of reviewers on YouTube. And while I do enjoy the reviews with the lap times on the normal Top Gear...it's all the other stuff they do that REALLY keeps me glued for 60 minutes. I just hope they don't muff it up too terribly and have it canceled after the 1st season...