Official World Cup 2006 Thread?

I'll give the US credit for playing a great game, especially with only 9 men. The Italians played like sh!t.

I just hope the Italians beat the Czechs, and Ghana beats the US.

And the Italian team is a bunch of cheating pussies. How many offsides did they have? 12? 15? You only have that many when it's your tactic to keep doing it intentionally to see if you can get away with one. And the dives...OMG! I mean, I know they are not the best team in the world, but to resort to that crap. What a bunch of losers. Is that how they always play in Italy when faced with a clearly better team?

eMKay said:
And the Italian team is a bunch of cheating pussies. How many offsides did they have? 12? 15? You only have that many when it's your tactic to keep doing it intentionally to see if you can get away with one. And the dives...OMG! I mean, I know they are not the best team in the world, but to resort to that crap. What a bunch of losers. Is that how they always play in Italy when faced with a clearly better team?
What on earth are you smoking? :?
Italy played fair. I don't see how you could call being offsides as cheating, and I counted maybe one over the top dive on Italy's part.

Clearly better team hahaha. Take your tie and consider yourself lucky. Remember who scored both goals?

ESPNSTI said:
eMKay said:
What on earth are you smoking? :?
Italy played fair. I don't see how you could call being offsides as cheating, and I counted maybe one over the top dive on Italy's part.

It's cheating when you consistently do it to try and gain advantage, I didn't see any missed offsides calls and that's why they didn't score on any of them, they were all called. the total was 11-1 BTW. These are supposed to be the best players in the world, they kbow how to stay onsides, I know how to stay onsides and I'm a 3rd rate keeper!

^ Agreed, pass on the weed. An off side is an off side, has nothing to do with cheating. avanti, I would argue, haven't seen any dubious off sides at least in this match. Still, the ref was a fucking idiot. And he knew he was being a douche, too as he clearily and seriously backed off later on and missing calls left and right. I'm not for overly physical games but this is not synchronized swimming. It's football and players get aggressive with one another. Part of the game. All that being said, I think we (the US) played a very good game against the team who is generally very, very good.

I thought the game was pretty crappy, myself. There were what, 30 fouls plus the three red cards? It seemed more like rugby than like football.

[rant]

ABC's coverage of the game was poor as well. When they were showing it on ESPN, the announcers at least knew the game. The guys they picked to commentate for ABC kept on complaining that giving yellow/red cards was "ruining the game." They also kept on blocking the bottom half of the screen during the match to display some stupid "vote for your man of the match" thing, and to top it all off they cut away from the match during the 83rd minute to show a panning shot of Times Square! :?

Show the $#&@ game you shmucks! :bangin: :x

[/rant]

swek said:
Clearly better team hahaha. Take your tie and consider yourself lucky. Remember who scored both goals?

Exactly.... The US played very admirably. But in the end, didn't score a damn thing.

swek said:
I don't think anyone has any doubts who the better team is, although as to your smarty-pants remark, a player that sends the ball into his own net is not considered good, but rather a total f***ing moron. That is not something to be proud of.

Congrats to Ghana. Im slightly upset with the refing in the USA v Italy match.

Great games this year, it's all exciting. Australia for thier first win as well as Ghana. :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

chaos386 said:
ABC's coverage of the game was poor as well. When they were showing it on ESPN, the announcers at least knew the game.
They're from the same pool.
chaos386 said:
kept on complaining that giving yellow/red cards was "ruining the game."
Because it was. Undeniably.
chaos386 said:
They also kept on blocking the bottom half of the screen during the match to display some stupid "vote for your man of the match" thing, and to top it all off they cut away from the match during the 83rd minute to show a panning shot of Times Square! :?
ESPN does exactly the same thing, obviously you never watched it there.

They show each game, live, commercial free (gasp), with for the most part an ok commentary. Seriously be grateful and STFU ;)

Showing how shit the Fifa Rankings are again. Czechs No.2 can't even beat Ghana (who more than justified there inclusion). And USA number 3. I laughed so hard when I first read it that I nearly had a heart attack.

If I am not mistaking the US was ranked 5th and I agree with the bs on the rankings. I think the odds makers had better rankings Brazil to win it and the US at something along the lines of 80 to 1. the match for me was bittersweet because I was happy the US got a point and that group E is alive and well, but I was disapointed that it became a slugfest. I would rather see a great match than a poor match. O Well GO USA and... GO Italy :thumbsup:

eMKay said:

:lol:

This is honestly the first time I hear someone say playing a counter-attacking game is cheating. The US was playing a high backline, Italy always plays their forwards ahead or at the halfway line, waiting for a fast counterattack. Naturally, the US is going to play the off-side trap, and naturally, the Italians are going to try and beat it because every team they play usually plays a high backline/offside trap combo.

The US has yet to score a clean goal this World Cup. Let's not talk about who's a better team.

Well the outstanding team so far. ... Argentina - bloody brilliant. Very good Spain and Germany but with a slightly suspect defence IMHO.

Argentina is definitely the one to watch in the WC ~ 24 passes for the 2nd goal and knowing where everyone is and passing to create space, the midfield is rock soild and Messi is a special kid.

England watch and learn and dont go for long passes all the time to crouchie >_< There is no doubt England has quality players ~ but Sven can never get the balance right >__< if they manage to find a solution the midfield would dominate and then we would have chance ~ but not now.

Fav so far: Argies, Spain, Germany (due to Ballack), Holland, Basil (maybe need to see one more match) and of course EN-GER-LAND :D

I hope Brazil and France get a good result tomorrow.

I'll be watching the matches from work streaming online, like I did today. I swear, during all the exciting bits loads of customers come in and distract me! And then some start watching with me :lol: