Official World Cup 2006 Thread?

Well done to the Aussies ~ they did very well against Brazil ~ in the end it was luck which is on Brazil's side today ~ the last touch to finish off needs to be that little bit cleaner and Aussie would have won that match easily

peter3hg2 said:
Firecat said:
But the difference, I think, is that the Brazillians are doing it by choice. France tried their best, but couldn't produce.

I'm hoping both teams "wow" me today.
Perhaps from this performance so far, the Brazilians wern't holding much back.

Indeed. Brazil played poorly, and Australia defended well. They had a couple of opportunities to equalize.....

Australia will do well against Croatia... they should make some progress in the 2nd round.

Just got back from Feddy Square.

Gah, so many opportunities, we really could have drawn that, even won it!!

But anyway, on to Croatia!!

Ronaldo is horrible. As soon as Robinho came on, the attack came to life. Brazil has some serious holes in their defense, but then again, when have they not.

France waited until the last minute to make their subs, big mistake.

I can't believe Zidane will miss the next match, this could very well be his last game.

If Ecuador beats Germany I wonder if England will purposely lose to Sweden so that they can play Ecuador instead of Germany in round 2.

Ultra_Kool_Dude said:
If Ecuador beats Germany I wonder if England will purposely lose to Sweden so that they can play Ecuador instead of Germany in round 2.

This is my first World Cup I'm really watching, so fill me in. When England has played Germany in the past.... is it just like an all out shit fit?

No Boss said:
This is my first World Cup I'm really watching, so fill me in. When England has played Germany in the past.... is it just like an all out shit fit?

The only reason they would do that (which I think is highly unlikely btw) is because Germany are at least "on paper" a much better team than Ecuador.

No Boss said:
Ultra_Kool_Dude said:

I'm not really sure what a shit fit is.

England will have a much harder time defeating Germany at home than Ecuador. I don't think Germany will lose to Ecuador though, but there is a chance.

Is there any precedent of a team purposely losing a game in the world cup to get a better second round draw? Would it be considered bad sportsmanship?

Firecat said:
peter3hg2 said:
Firecat said:
But the difference, I think, is that the Brazillians are doing it by choice. France tried their best, but couldn't produce.

I'm hoping both teams "wow" me today.
Perhaps from this performance so far, the Brazilians wern't holding much back.

Indeed. Brazil played poorly, and Australia defended well. They had a couple of opportunities to equalize.....
I think they had more than a coupe opportunities.... :| But they still defended good in the first half.

flyingfridge said:
Just got back from Feddy Square.

Gah, so many opportunities, we really could have drawn that, even won it!!

But anyway, on to Croatia!!
Would have been an awesome atmosphere even if we did loose :)

Anyways...really tired...damn timezones. Apparently, 20% of our labour force will take sickies today :lol: It'll cost the economy in excess of $250mil haha!

Ultra_Kool_Dude said:
No Boss said:
Ultra_Kool_Dude said:

I'm not really sure what a shit fit is.

England will have a much harder time defeating Germany at home than Ecuador. I don't think Germany will lose to Ecuador though, but there is a chance.

Is there any precedent of a team purposely losing a game in the world cup to get a better second round draw? Would it be considered bad sportsmanship?

The thing is Germany has to win, simply because as 1st in their group they will end up in the bigger stadiums. If England comes 2nd they will play Germany in Munich, where they beat Germany 5:1 in 2001. I simply hope for that :thumbsup:

Ecuador has been doing well. I would bet on a draw.

I don?t know about purposely losing, I wouldn't call it sportsmanship....You could call it a tactic but it wouldn?t help much..

Awesome 16' goal by Switzerland! and then a seemingly un-needed 25' sub by Togo :think:

No Boss said:
Ultra_Kool_Dude said:

I actually want England to play Germany ~ both teams has a couple of more gears to go ~ and it would force them both to play their best. Hopefully the England Sweden match wont be "fixed". We havent beaten Sweden since 1968 ~ so we've got some scores to settle

tianluo said:
No Boss said:
Ultra_Kool_Dude said:

I actually want England to play Germany ~ both teams has a couple of more gears to go ~ and it would force them both to play their best. Hopefully the England Sweden match wont be "fixed". We havent beaten Sweden since 1968 ~ so we've got some scores to settle
I will be very suspicios if Ecuador top their group and then we "just happen" to play badly.

Spain Vs. Tunisia...Very good game, very tense. I was watching with a few Moroccans, who were kinda pissed at the final result. I wore my Spain shirt proudly LOL.