Official WRC thread

I see Petter Solberg driving a Mini next year...

Congrats to Peter on the epic battle. I still don't understand the tactic Ogier used for the penultimate round by slowing down, what is the advantage of that to bring the time to 0.6 before the last stage?

Ken Block had a solid run and without his problems and getting stuck in that ditch he would be in the points for sure.

Kimi was decent until that big crash. Sigh I hope he can control this and finish a rally.

And Loeb well just a solid piece of driving and another day at the office for him. Miko better watch out!

And Loeb well just a solid piece of driving and another day at the office for him. Miko better watch out!

Mikko suffered from the road position, otherwise he would have put up a great battle with Loeb.

WRC set to introduce longer events

Endurance rallying could return to the World Rally Championship next year, if a proposed removal of the maximum number of competitive miles is implemented.

Rounds of the WRC are currently permitted to run anything up to 310 competitive miles, an increase from the 220-mile rule which had been in place prior to this season's increase. But that limit could be binned next year following a meeting of the WRC's Global Working Group.

WRC Commission president Morrie Chandler said: "This is something the working group has talked about and it could be interesting. At the same time, I'm not too sure how many rallies would be interested in running really long rallies due to the cost implication. It will be interesting to see how many events run to the higher limit this year, not too many I would imagine."

The working group is also investigating the possibility of merging selected cross country rallies into the WRC, although such a move would be at least two years away.

If this means the return of rallies like the Safari Rally... Whoo-hoo.

Mikko suffered from the road position, otherwise he would have put up a great battle with Loeb.

I don't think that road position was the whole story, The Fords looked pretty impotent at altitude.

I don't think that road position was the whole story, The Fords looked pretty impotent at altitude.

It wasn't the full story, but it definitely put Mikko on the back foot. Sucks being the first guy cleaning the road for the other runners.

^That's definitely true. One small thing that bothered me about Ken Block's debut...his car is hideous. The Monster World Rally livery is ghastly.

It would've been cool if Block ran the STi. It'd match his image after all the gymkhana videos.

Congrats to Peter on the epic battle. I still don't understand the tactic Ogier used for the penultimate round by slowing down, what is the advantage of that to bring the time to 0.6 before the last stage?

Apparently they made a mistake by using footage from Saturday on that particular SS (the same stage was run on Sunday too). No way slowing down like that would've helped Ogier on the final stage of the rally!

Apparently they made a mistake by using footage from Saturday on that particular SS (the same stage was run on Sunday too). No way slowing down like that would've helped Ogier on the final stage of the rally!
ugh damn it Motors Tv get your shit together. How can you make a mistake that big? I miss Eurosport.

You realize that the TV stations don't produce the WRC shows themselves?

Some do, to an extent...

From what I gather ISC provides the TV stations with pre-edited highlight reel from each day, about 20 minutes in length, and some additional in-car footage. The stations can then either play these out as they are or edit them into their own needs. It's down to the broadcaster how they decide to use the footage.

AFAIK Eurosport used to broadcast the material as it was given to them. MotorsTV seems to insert the additional in-car footage into the highlight reel to create a one-hour show with a lot of in-car content and their own commentary. MTV3, who broadcast WRC in Finland, make a 25-minute show by using the highlight reel with some additional interviews they produce themselves on location. The in-car footage clip used to be a separate show and now it's available from their website every day.

You realize that the TV stations don't produce the WRC shows themselves?
Right, but as mentioned above they can edit it. I'm not asking for a lot here, just provide a subtext in the bottom of the screen, "Sorry wrong footage, Solberg actually was catching Ogier and he didn't slow down like that." or something like that.

And yes Simon Hill sucks.

I was watching the in car video of Ken Block in Mexico and I'm fairly certain his co driver Alex Gelsomino is the Count from Sesame Street...:D

I was watching the in car video of Ken Block in Mexico and I'm fairly certain his co driver Alex Gelsomino is the Count from Sesame Street...:D

Anyone else notice that the broadcast graphics flag Gelsomino as an American but on the car he's got an Italian flag...

Also, the Simon Hill commentary makes it really difficult for me to watch. 80% of the time he's talking about something that's already been off screen for a few seconds. It's... so frustratingly clear that he's doing one take and not even bothering to go back to fix mistakes. The Eurosport commentary felt scripted (in a good way).