Official WRC thread

i just love the whole "i-dont-wanna-run-first-on-the-stage" tactic completely turned around on Day 3, due to the hanging dust. Kudos to Latvala & Ford for the win! Now if only they could orchestrate that for every gravel rally, it would see an end to the tactic of stopping before the end of the stage :D

The silliest thing about the whole road position tactics debacle is the fact that the few years ago it was not a problem. Back then the running order for second and third day was reversed for the first 15 drivers so the top drivers had good and pretty equal road positions. That rule had been created in late nineties (or early 2000's) to stop, would you believe, drivers doing silly tactics to get better road position for the following days, and it worked quite well. Apparently far too well for the FIA who, in their infinite wisdom, decided to get rid of the rule before 2008 (IIRC, correct me if I'm wrong) despite everyone in the sport already knowing that situations like those last weekend will return as a result.

I finally finished watching the rally today. Wow. Nice to see Ford back on par. Latvala showed that he was capable, and the fight between Solberg and Loeb was unexpected and fun. Can't wait until the next go.

I read in an interview that Solberg might switch to a Peugeot...

I read in an interview that Solberg might switch to a Peugeot...

Is Peugeot going to run a second team or replace Citroen in the WRC? Whatever the case I'd love to see Solberg compete with a competent car for once.

The whole road order thing is ridiculous. As Hazardous said it never use to be a problem. This way can lead to closer rallies as we have seen Jari-Matti is always 4th or 5th on the road and rockets to the front of the leader board on day 1. Even if the old system isn't popular then why not just change the order after every service.

Was great to see a driver who just went flat to the boards all rally win it. Fantastic for Jari to get a second win after so much difficulty. I really hope he doesn't get delusions of grandeur and try to go for every win now. Just needs to settle down and keep aiming for podiums and if they come they come. Bad luck for Mikko as without his horse problems he would have been even closer.

Almost nice to see Seb have a bad event, god he is an amazing driver though. Second loop of saturdays stages (so no sweeping) took something like 19 seconds out of Mikko on one stage.

Petter is driving brilliantly at the moment, such an amazing effort to do what he is doing. He is considering a Peugot 307 as the development they have done with them at National level has apparently made them a very formidable weapon. Must be nice to shop for that level of rally car!!!!

From wrc.com

Sebastien Loeb knighted

Defending World Rally Champion Sebastien Loeb has been awarded a knighthood, receiving the ?L?gion d?honneur? from French President Nicolas Sarkozy.

The ?L?gion d'honneur? is the highest award that can be given to any individual in France and recognises outstanding achievement from French citizens.

Loeb was given his knighthood at an award ceremony at the Elys?e Palace in Paris yesterday. Surrounded by his family, close friends and senior management from the PSA group which owns Citroen Racing, the five-time champion was warmly congratulated by Nicolas Sarkozy.

?I am extremely honoured to have been recognised in this way by the President of the Republic,? said Sebastien. ?This award is given to an individual, but I would like to share it with each and every member of the Citroen team. Every time that we hear the French National Anthem played at the end of a rally, we all feel exactly the same pride at having showcased France to the best of all our abilities.

?I hope now that I can continue to worthily represent my country by claiming a sixth consecutive World Rally Championship title at the end of this year.? he added.

Wow, didn't see that one coming:blink:.

Congratulations to Loeb, I must admit I didn't see it coming either.

Thought I would make some updates to this thread.

Loeb crashed out today for the first time since Sweden 2008 and Sordo is pretty much out of the running now after he broke the rear tire of his car. This means that it's pretty much a clear run for Hirvonen to take the first place since 2nd is held by Sebastien Ogier who is more than a minute and a half behind Mikko. Latvala is now in 3rd place despite losing over 3 minutes on the first day when he went off at a hairpin and got stuck in a ditch.

Just saw Loeb's accident. A rather spectacular roll, must have gone over half a dozen times there.

This is good for the championship, if Mikko doesn't do any errors tomorrow he'll reduce the gap in championship down to seven points.

I just watched today's highlights. Loeb's accident was spectacular, yes. And a crushed roll cage is always a frightening sight. Obviously 0 points for Loeb is good for the championship, but after all, it looks more exciting that it will be.
A bad day for the Solbergs too. Petters spring going straight through the dome :blink: and Henning being directed onto a stone by a marshall. I saw him going mad on TV - the frustration is understandable...

Loeb's crash was indeed spectacular, glad they are both fine.

Wow what a mistake from the champ. How come he didnt take his hands off the wheel? To quick to think I suppose.

Good for the championship and good for the Fast Finns :)

Terrible luck for Petter : (

And I was hoping that Petter could catch Mikko and have a great race, looks like its not gonna happen.

Last edited:
Wow what a turn around. It's almost like Citroen's New Zealand. Latvala still needs to work on his driving, again it was a fantastic drive coupled with a big mistake.

drivers should allways keep hands on the steering wheel as if let go it would of sent out the door!! and probabbly hit the ground... co-drivers brace and tuck there arms in so theres not like a rag doll...

in a roll sometimes the windows will break and arms go out them... thats when damage is done..

Anyone watch the IRC at the weekend?