Official WRC thread

Man, I'm really going to have to start learning a lot about WRC... Go Kimi! :D

Damn, this really brightened up my day!:mouse:

Go Kimi !

In other rally news, the speculation about Ford taking one of their new Ford Fiesta S2000 cars to Monte Carlo has been confirmed as M-Sport announced that they will enter one car for Mikko Hirvonen in the event.

AUTOSPORT

It'll be really interesting to see how the new car and Mikko will stack up against the regulars. If the car is any good I recon Mikko has to be the clear favourite for the event, at least unless Ogier and / or Loeb will be entered by Citro?n or Peugeot.

Okay, for an American long time WRC fan (and now unhappy fan due to the lack of Subarus, but c'est la vie), who is a good "dark horse" driver to follow. Someone that gets coverage, but isn't one of the big guns? Until (and hoping it isn't if) Subaru comes back, I want a driver to root for.

Last edited:
just watchin the 2001 highlights

the Skoda Octavia WRC is awesome

Okay, for an American long time WRC fan (and now unhappy fan due to the lack of Subarus, but c'est la vie), who is a good "dark horse" driver to follow. Someone that gets coverage, but isn't one of the big guns? Until (and hoping it isn't if) Subaru comes back, I want a driver to root for.

For the time being there are only six drivers confirmed to do full or almost full programmes next year so there not many underdogs who are confirmed to be around for 2010 yet. Usually the private teams have been confirmed during the weeks leading into the first event and sometimes even after it (as was the case with Petter Solberg's team this year) and that's where the top dogs are.

That said, I'd rate both ex-Subaru drivers 'dark horses'. Petter is likely to have some pretty competitive machinery to drive through the year, while Atko has been linked with the rumoured US-based (or at least US-funded) team. Both should be pretty near to the top as far as pace goes.

Personally, I'm going to keep a close eye on Kimi R?ikk?nen, he's a 'dark horse' of sorts although I don't think anyone expects him to challenge for wins but it will be really interesting to see how the F1 champion learns his ropes on the loose stuff.

Thanks for the 'news' on Youtube having the highlights! Watching 2001 monte carlo, and upon seeing Richard Burns driving the Impreza, brings a smile to say the least, along with Colin McRae. :)

For the time being there are only six drivers confirmed to do full or almost full programmes next year so there not many underdogs who are confirmed to be around for 2010 yet. Usually the private teams have been confirmed during the weeks leading into the first event and sometimes even after it (as was the case with Petter Solberg's team this year) and that's where the top dogs are.

That said, I'd rate both ex-Subaru drivers 'dark horses'. Petter is likely to have some pretty competitive machinery to drive through the year, while Atko has been linked with the rumoured US-based (or at least US-funded) team. Both should be pretty near to the top as far as pace goes.

Personally, I'm going to keep a close eye on Kimi R?ikk?nen, he's a 'dark horse' of sorts although I don't think anyone expects him to challenge for wins but it will be really interesting to see how the F1 champion learns his ropes on the loose stuff.

So you're thinking Atko is going to run with Ken Block and his team? Blimey!

So you're thinking Atko is going to run with Ken Block and his team? Blimey!

It was speculated when the news about the Monster-sponsored rally team surfaced and I think it's possible. If the team is set up Monster will propably want a driver with proven track record to bring in some results (in the likely case that Ken won't) so that they get some international publicity out of the whole deal. Unless they'd get Petter Solberg out of his own team I think Chris is one of the best drivers available, and on top of that he's the kind of bloke I could see doing some publicity stunts or viral videos to advertise an energy drink.

I heard Petter is getting shopped heavily by Citroen.

It was speculated when the news about the Monster-sponsored rally team surfaced and I think it's possible. If the team is set up Monster will propably want a driver with proven track record to bring in some results (in the likely case that Ken won't) so that they get some international publicity out of the whole deal. Unless they'd get Petter Solberg out of his own team I think Chris is one of the best drivers available, and on top of that he's the kind of bloke I could see doing some publicity stunts or viral videos to advertise an energy drink.

Gymkhana 3: Block vs. Atkinson

I'd watch that. Over, and over, and over. But for now, we have this.

[YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bQgmdHzqtqA[/YOUTUBE]

I hope Atko gets to drive fully next year. He was a good driver, but was screwed over by Subaru.

In other rally news, the speculation about Ford taking one of their new Ford Fiesta S2000 cars to Monte Carlo has been confirmed as M-Sport announced that they will enter one car for Mikko Hirvonen in the event.

AUTOSPORT

It'll be really interesting to see how the new car and Mikko will stack up against the regulars. If the car is any good I recon Mikko has to be the clear favourite for the event, at least unless Ogier and / or Loeb will be entered by Citro?n or Peugeot.

Can't wait to see Fiesta in action.

Then check out the IRC Scotland thread. Like I said in that thread, it could be an illusion but that M-sport Fiesta sounds and seems to go quite a bit harder than the other S2000 cars. It wouldn't necessarily surprise me to see Mikko wipe the floor with everyone.

It will be very interesting to see Kimi's development over the course of the season, hopefully he will keep it on the road and get a few points finishes. Actually not that surprised Citroen is busting Petter's balls, after all he represents quite a big threat to the works drivers.

2010 is shaping up quite nicely!

I'm watching WRC Rally Finland right now on Discovery HD Theater. They had an interview with Kimi. Blimey that boy mumbles. ENUNCIATE!

Fia Gala 09 video
[YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xbX1nNRfwac[/YOUTUBE]

Monster World Rally Team...

Ken Block in the WRC!!!

[YOUTUBE]Zve4h1IhfLU[/YOUTUBE]

I've heard that Chris Atkinson is his team mate - double yeah!!

I'm rooting for Mads ?stberg this year! I started to root for him at the end of last year, but I think I'll fully throw my support behind him this year. This isn't because I drive a Subaru and Ken Block is now driving a Ford (to be honest, I prefer Pastrana to Block and if Pastrana runs WRC I'll support him too no matter what make car he drives); I just like to root for the underdog sometimes.

It helps that Mads is driving a Subaru, for sure.

Last edited:
In the video there is a RallyAmerica graphic, I wonder which rallies Ken will be running in the series...?:hmm:

Edit: read the press release, sounds like he is doing the whole series!

I wonder what he'll be driving in Rally America, though. From what I understand WRC cars are not eligible as such, so maybe they'll use a tuned up Fiesta like in X-Games...

It's great to see that they have got this team together. This should give WRC loads of good publicity in USA. Now, if only Atko could find his way to the second car...