Official WRC thread

Motorsport's governing body, the FIA, has modified the championship points system used in the World Rally Championship, so that more finishers in a rally are awarded points.

Under the new system, which will come into force this week in Sweden, points will be allocated to the top 10 finishers (rather than the previous system's eight) according to the following scale:

1st: 25 points
2nd: 18 points
3rd: 15 points
4th: 12 points
5th: 10 points
6th: 8 points
7th: 6 points
8th: 4 points
9th: 2 points
10th: 1 point

The decision to adopt the system was taken on 9 February, after the FIA put the matter to a fax vote of competitors. It was also approved by the members of the World Motor Sport Council.

Even though more points are available under the new system, with 25 awarded for first place rather than 10, it would not have altered the 2009 drivers' championship classification had it been introduced last year.

Here's how the 2009 season would have looked with the 2010 system points shown in brackets.

1. Loeb 93 (229)
2. Hirvonen 92 (220)
3. Sordo 64 (151)
4. Latvala 41 (104)
5. P Solberg 35 (86)
6. H Solberg 33 (86)
7. Wilson 28 (76)
8. Ogier 24 (61)
9. Villagra 16 (44)
10. Rautenbach 9 (36)

Klick!

Last edited:
I'm kinda torn with that... On one hand I like the fact that the the gap between first and second is increased but in the current state of WRC even the old points system seems to give points to too many drivers, and the new system is worse.. I mean, is it really fair that someone like Rautenbach would rack up more points than someone who had one rally win under their belt?

So I just found out that HD Theater is going to be broadcasting WRC on a 2-week delay as opposed to last year when they waited like 6 months to air the Ireland rally. Not only that, but they'll be doing the 3-day 30 minute shows (along with the preview) as opposed to the 1 hour show.

Not sure if anyone else cares but I'M EXCITED! :w00t:

So I just found out that HD Theater is going to be broadcasting WRC on a 2-week delay as opposed to last year when they waited like 6 months to air the Ireland rally. Not only that, but they'll be doing the 3-day 30 minute shows (along with the preview) as opposed to the 1 hour show.

Not sure if anyone else cares but I'M EXCITED! :w00t:

OK I can deal with that. Better than nothing. I'll still get the torrents to stay up to date.

Results after the Thursday Super-Special. I spoiler tagged for people who are going to watch later.

2060if6.jpg

Last edited:
There will be no WRC coverage at Eurosport this year or they're just missing Sweden because of Olympics?

^

what he said.

it won't be too bad, Motors TV is fairly decent.

I don't have it and even I'm not sure if it is available at any tv provider here. So it wouldn't help in popularisation of WRC.

Picture of the day: :p
881940.jpg

WRC is just so different world compared to F1. As a F1 driver you just retire if your car gets stuck, but in WRC you dig the car up and continue driving.

It took Kimi over 20 minutes to dig his car up. He had to do it alone, because his co-driver had to warn other cars. They thought they would have got some help from men who came to the place with cameras and stuff, but those men just decided to film Kimi digging the car up on his own. :D

Last edited:
^ As far as i know, outside assistance isn't allowed unless the car is upside down. I think Richard Burns had to retire a few yards from the service because he wasn't allowed a puch after getting stuck in the soft sand of Kenya.

I think that rule has been changed, but I'm not 100% sure.

I'm pretty disappointed in Petter's performance so far, but then snow isn't his favourite surface. Probably serves him right for binning the C4 on Thursday. :? LOL poor Kimi having to dig his car out of the snow, get used to it fella! :lol:

Anyway... Goooo Mikko!! :thumbup:

^ As far as i know, outside assistance isn't allowed unless the car is upside down. I think Richard Burns had to retire a few yards from the service because he wasn't allowed a puch after getting stuck in the soft sand of Kenya.

Being pushed back to the road is allowed on the stages. I think it's not allowed in service parks but on stages it's not a problem.

Technical assistance is not allowed, though, and Tommi M?kinen famously got penalised for the locals helping him change a wheel despite Tommi trying to tell them not to do so.

once you start a stage you can have outside acisstance.. In control sections( where they give out the time cards) no one can touch the car.. road sections are also a no go area..

It's quite ironic that when the season starts off in Sweden, there's no coverage except on satellite TV...

good to see Mikko committing himself on these icy stages : )