Official WRC thread

if you ask me, the spectator photographer didn't do anything wrong, and the FIA is right in giving latvalla a 5000? fine

(no idea if it was an official photographer, or just spectator with a camera though...

I suppose it comes down to whether or not he was in control of the car, if a spectator is directly hit by an out-of-control car then would the same thing happen? He's still at full throttle when he nudges the guy which would say to me that he isn't in control, in which case I would say it's the spectator's fault for putting himself in that position knowing the risks. Like I said before, areas like that are taped off for rallies I've been to, maybe they deemed that area OK because of the ditch? :dunno:

Now, if Latvala saw him or not is a different matter. He basically ploughed in to the crowd so should've stopped to see if everyone was OK regardless. No doubt he had the red mist that seems to always be his undoing.

Well I know there isn't much interest in the WRC at the moment but I'd like to say it's great that Jari-Matti Latvala finally has some points on the board this year. I try to support him every year and have done since around 2009 but it's very hard when he keeps stacking it or suffering unfortunate failures. I know this was more about road position but at the moment simply finishing is an achievement. :lol:

Well I know there isn't much interest in the WRC at the moment but I'd like to say it's great that Jari-Matti Latvala finally has some points on the board this year. I try to support him every year and have done since around 2009 but it's very hard when he keeps stacking it or suffering unfortunate failures. I know this was more about road position but at the moment simply finishing is an achievement. :lol:

is there for any sports at this forum? :p

is there for any sports at this forum? :p

Great to see JML win again

Probably more non auto posts on the forum these days..

I bet we'll see Ogier in a Toyota. It'll be a fun next season!

Wow wasn't expecting that one, not after they have won so much. They mentioned during Sunday's live stage that the announcement from M-sport should come next Monday so I guess Malcolm Wilson knew about this already. I don't doubt that Ogier and Mikkelsen will get a drive with another manufacturer but I wonder what will happen to Latvala, I was expecting VW to drop him really.

Says that they built it before throwing in the towel, we already know that it wasn't a planned move for VW.

He'll have to be careful, there can't be many spare parts...

They've posted new regulations for 2017. Looking good! :)

http://www.wrc.com/en/wrc/news/january-2017/lowdown-regulations/page/4169--12-12-.html

1) Start order reshuffle

Arguably the most important change concerns the order in which drivers will tackle stages in 2017.

In 2016, leading drivers started in championship order for days one and two before switching to a reverse event classification on day three.

This year, drivers will start in championship order for day one only.

On days two and three, P1 drivers [see below] will start in the reverse order of rally classification at the end of the previous day. This group will be followed by any P1 drivers re-starting under Rally 2 regulations, and then the rest of the field in straight classification order.

The day one start order of the season-opening Rallye Monte-Carlo will be based on the 2016 championship classification.

2) A more valuable Power Stage

First introduced in 2011, the Power Stage offers bonus championship points to the fastest drivers through Sunday lunchtime?s rally-closing live TV stage.

Up to now, the three fastest drivers have been awarded points on a 3-2-1 basis. This year there's more to play for. The stage winner will be rewarded with five points, with the five fastest drivers taking points on a 5-4-3-2-1 basis.

3) Manufacturer nominations

Manufacturers previously nominated two drivers per rally to score points. In 2017 they will instead nominate three, with the top two finishers scoring manufacturer points.

Also, manufacturers are no longer required to nominate one lead driver at the start of the season.

4) New driver definitions

The FIA has changed some of the priority class definitions that apply to championship drivers. You'll see these on every rally entry list. Here's what they mean in 2017:

P1: Drivers of World Rally Cars either entered by a manufacturer [i.e 2017-spec] or entered in the WRC Trophy [for earlier-spec cars]

P2: Drivers entered by a competitor eligible to score points in the WRC 2 Championship

P3: Drivers entered by a competitor eligible to score points in the WRC 3 and/or Junior WRC Championships

I don't see 1 making a big difference, considering the overall outcome last year anyway. 2 is great. 3 is the way it should've always been. I wonder if team orders will become a "thing" again.

Looks like an interesting rule change, especially the change of points scoring for manufacturers. I can't help but think that it will give Ogier the chance to run away with the championship much earlier though.

Well that got off to an interesting start.

Stage 1 cancelled after only 2 cars reach the end as Paddon flips his after skidding on ice.

The cars look great though and seem incredibly fast, great to see another Finn driving with Latvala again too. I feel a bit sorry for Mikkelson without a WRC drive, he almost won and surely that counts for something. :(

I saw that earlier, didn't realise he had hit a spectator until that point. It's quite hard to see on the video but there is a point where something flashes past the lights. It certainly is an insane position to stand.

What an incredible start to the new season. Some unfortunate moments and teething problems with the new cars but the drivers on the podium did a great job.

They may have put the price of WRC+ up by 10 Euros but it's well worth it, this morning's coverage was extended by half an hour.