Official WRC thread

I think the main problem with rally and the US is that there is no culture for it, it has always been a European thing. I am sure that the average American don't know what it is, so they don't know what they are missing. The ones that prefer Nascar has probably never either been exposed to/grown up with rally.

Almost where ever you are from in europe there has been a local driver up there that you can cheer for, and all the WRC champions have been european.

I feel sorry for US rally fans, since I have understood that there is 0 coverage of the WRC over there at the moment. :(

^ Suppose so - poor buggers tho', can't get any WRC still I suppose if you are that interested then you will download an interweb version from somewhere.

^ Suppose so - poor buggers tho', can't get any WRC still I suppose if you are that interested then you will download an interweb version from somewhere.

Yep. Thank god for eurosport rips.

Eurosport is the best! :bow:
x2.

So whens the Sweden's broadcast coming out ?

Oh btw, Loeb got a speeding ticket while heading back to the service area. Seems like the news was up for a while on WRC.com before it got taken down.

Citroen Total WRT protecting its star driver's ass ? Hmm.

Wow, that is very rare for Seb. I was just thinking...I didn't like the way Neil Cole said "Colin Mcrae, arguably Britain's best rally driver of all time" what about Burnsie? :( Also, does anyone else find on their freeview that it says "This channel is encrypted" for Eurosport?

Wow, that is very rare for Seb. I was just thinking...I didn't like the way Neil Cole said "Colin Mcrae, arguably Britain's best rally driver of all time" what about Burnsie? :( Also, does anyone else find on their freeview that it says "This channel is encrypted" for Eurosport?
50kph was the limit but the local police caught him doing 70kph. Ticket was issued.

The fact it was taken off WRC.com kind of bugs me though.

Btw Flynn, what freeview ?

50kph was the limit but the local police caught him doing 70kph. Ticket was issued.

The fact it was taken off WRC.com kind of bugs me though.

They did show a very glum Loeb being booked for speeding in the official WRC highlight show though.

Btw Flynn, what freeview ?
Eurosport is broadcast from terrestial transmitters in the UK and can be picked up using either a TV with a digital tuner or a normal TV using a "Freeview" box. I do not use such a thing I am on Cable but I understand that to get Eurosport in the clear you need a subscription card, called Top Up TV. Many of the freeview boxes do not have the card slot built in tho'.

There you go:

http://www.radioandtelly.co.uk/topuptv.html

I've got Eurosport International in the base channel pack on normal cable TV. Unfortunately, we don't get Eurosport 2, and I'd like that for the GP2 races.

Since this is a WRC thread, all my congratulations for Jari-Matti's win and all the best for him and Mikko for the rest of the season.

(Of course, considering my parents' car, which will be my car soon, you can guess who I'm rooting for)

Last edited:
Interesting rally in Sweden - Loeb needs to bounce back immediately, I think, to maintain his dominance.

That won't be hard for Loeb. He crashed out on the snow early last season as well.

Thats why they said "arguably" and to be honest, Richard was never as quick as Colin. I am glad he won a world title, but he was never the fastest driver out there.

Now as for the rally. Loeb really doesn't seem to like snow. Citroen in 4th!! in the standings. Shame Sordo had a 5 minute penalty but he would have only been 4th or so on pace anyway.

Awesome rally by Jari-matti. I knew he would be fast but I didn't think he would be THAT fast. Mikko really needs to worry about being Fords number 1 now. Good steady rally by Petter, another DNF for Crash Atkinson.

Andreas Mikkelsen is a future world champ without doubt. I thought this season would be a total Loeb whitewash (and still could be) but given Latvala's pace and the amount of solid points finishers now it just might be an awesome season. Can't wait for Mexico!!

Thats why they said "arguably" and to be honest, Richard was never as quick as Colin. I am glad he won a world title, but he was never the fastest driver out there.

Now as for the rally. Loeb really doesn't seem to like snow. Citroen in 4th!! in the standings. Shame Sordo had a 5 minute penalty but he would have only been 4th or so on pace anyway.

Awesome rally by Jari-matti. I knew he would be fast but I didn't think he would be THAT fast. Mikko really needs to worry about being Fords number 1 now. Good steady rally by Petter, another DNF for Crash Atkinson.

Andreas Mikkelsen is a future world champ without doubt. I thought this season would be a total Loeb whitewash (and still could be) but given Latvala's pace and the amount of solid points finishers now it just might be an awesome season. Can't wait for Mexico!!

Latvala is still pretty wild at times through, so there ain't much Mikko need to worry about now, he's perfect at cruising to the finish, just that it's most usually a comfortable 2nd or 3rd...:rolleyes:

Mikko need to step up his game if he wants to challenge for a WDC, finishing 2nd or 3rd just isn't good enough to win the title...

give Latvala an year or two and he'll be excellent, experience does seems to count quite a lot in the WRC it seems...

I think that's a bit unfair on Mikko. Last year he kept cruising home for second and third places because he was under the order to do so. Apart from Wales. Where he won comfortably.

So far this year he has not really been in a position where he would have needed to gun it for the win. Monte is a special event and Loeb is particularly strong there, and Mikko was effectively only battling against Sordo there, until Dani's retirement. In Sweden Loeb's retirement meant there was no point in risking the eight point advantage by attacking Jari-Matti who was helped into a good initial lead by a road position on Friday.

We'll see Mikko fight for the win in the following rallies, though, as those are the ones he needs to beat Loeb in. It won't be an easy task as Loeb won most of the rough gravel rallies last year, so there's no space for Mikko to cruise.

The top of the leaderbiard in Sweden is great to watch, though. Latvala was very fast but he clearly still has work to do with consistency. He made a lot of errors, going off the road on several occasions, that he only escaped by sheer luck. But very good on him, and I think a worthy holder of the 'youngest ever WRC winner' title. Also good on Gigi Galli, only two rallies in a Focus and already deservedly up in third place. Fantastic Gigi.

Last edited:
Latvala was very fast but he clearly still has work to do with consistency. He made a lot of errors, going off the road on several occasions, that he only escaped by sheer luck.

Agreed. Every time I watch Latvala I expect him to be great, then fuck up at some point and crash. Though I am sure in a few years he will overcome that and be the next Loeb.

So far we have had:

B.B.C. coverage

Channel 4 coverage

I.T.V. coverage 1 and 4

Now Dave

And at the end of each year of coverage they have never said where they are going to be next. How are people supposed to know where they have disappeared to if they don't say it? All it would take is "Oh, and by the way, next year we'll on on another channel".

Wow, go Latvala. It looks like he is going to become Ford's star driver if he keeps this pace up.

Great Rally, the mexican rally is very enjoyable. I might consider to go there next year.

The Rally was pretty close and there were fights till the end.

What was the logic behind banning the run flat tires this year?