Oh cock, not another MX-5!

IMG_4672.jpg

My mx5parts.co.uk catback was occasionally hitting against aftermarket tow hook tow eye, which created rather annoying sounds. After weeks of planning and prototyping my final solution for this problems was finally ready.

Last edited:
So since getting the car back on the road I've mostly given the engine pretty hard time and lots of gas.

_1972288695.jpg

_0778731654.jpg

_9623639591.jpg

_5332328669.jpg

All taken by Markus Markkanen, huge thanks for him! It's not easy to get nice pictures from race track :)

Then today I finally could check something away from my automotive things to do -list. MX-5 got it's first ever dyno run. 117 PS/hp was a result, so stainless steel catback at least doesn't lose horsepower. To be honest I wasn't expecting new exhaust to bring any more power, as exhaust manifold and stock mass airflow meter are much larger bottlenecks.

medium

You really make me miss my old 97.
Great looking car.

Thanks! Even after driving many pretty great cars, good country road in nice weather is one of the greatest automotive experiences I've had in a long time. Or just trashing it around race track and overtaking many much, much more faster machines which are not pushed as hard. Managing to leave Peugeot 306 S16 (155bhp, ~1000kg) race car behind on a track was pretty great fun! :D

DSC_2886-Edit.jpg

DSC_2866-Edit.jpg

Both pictures (C) Sami Karttunen 2013. Huge thanks! Post processing done by myself.

I mostly drove fast laps on the latest trackday, but for some reason the best shots involved a dab of oppo...

Yet another track day! Managed to improve my lap record at Ahvenisto from 1min 39,67s to 1min 39,01s.

[img=small[IMG]http://hobittila.kuvat.fi/kuvat/Laurin%20omat%20kuvat/Ajoneuvot/Mazda%20MX-5%2093/IMG_4997.JPG?img=small[/IMG]
Hard driving took it's toll on the Yokohama AD08 tires. Both rear tires lost chunks of rubber every 10cm or so on the outer edge. Possibly caused by too high tire pressure?

Finally some off race track content. Finalgear Finland meet was great fun as always. I had to combine the only Concours d'Elegance event of Finland to the same weekend, which meant the little Mazda rolled over 1000km in two days. The car doesn't mind, but to be honest race homologated bucket seat, hard suspension and noisy tires make that kind of progress a bit tiring.

_MG_9016.jpg

public and the E34 and my MX-5.

_MG_9169.jpg

Just before arriving to the cottage we were surprised by a small shower. Road allowed decend speed so top stayed down.