Oh cock, not another MX-5!

Lastsoul

Car(s)
MX5, 406 Coup?, 106 Rallye, Porsche 924, X300 Six
Yeah, I don't have any imagination. :rolleyes:

Edit: Proofpic coming right after I visit the garage with camera, probably sunday evening. Before that frankiess can compare the 406 to the one I've had in Finnish meets.

small

Nose cone has been repainted, I guess during that process the reflectors went missing. I'm searching for cheap replacements.

For a long time I've wanted to have something pure and fun to drive. On the other hand I want something comfortable for longer trips, which I can also use in any kind of weather (that means -20?C, or salt water flooding on the streets).

The 406 has proven to be surprisingly unfrench, and for a long time it didn't need anything else than normal service and gas despite passing the 300 000 km mark almost year ago. This summer it had french-mode on for a month, during which it managed to snap two springs. One from front suspension, another from valvetrain. The latter was a bit pain in the as, but at least I now know how to rebuild a DOHC head. Luckily after that month it forget its french roots and I decided to save money and keep it as a daily driver, so I could buy something fun for a project car.

small

I've got the missing mirror, but it needs a new rod for the balljoint.

Last summer I went to test drive NA MX-5 just to see why everybody has one. I really liked the pure, honest driving experience, but the normal asking price of 5500 euros for 1.6 NAs was way out of my league. Luckily I moved to Germany for a one year to study automotive engineering as an exchange student, and that also meant I could find a much cheaper MX-5.

The one I found is not a perfect example, but it was excatly what I was looking for. It has lots of small dents, some scratches and a little bit of surface rust on the sills and subframes. The paintwork on the hardtop is also very worn, but the seals are in good condition so it doesn't leak. I don't care about the dents that much and the rust I can fix myself. I wanted a car with a straight body and healthy engine, and so far the '93 1.6 with about 160 000 km has proven to be just that. The price was also quite affordable because of all the dents and some missing parts.

I also love the basic specs of the car: power windows and power steering. I'd like to try an example without power steering, but so far I don't regret getting one with it.

small

I don't know what to do with the space for radio. Maybe some additional gauges?

It took a couple of weeks to get the car registered, because the dealer selling the car lied about the MOT and at that point I didn't know how many papers you get from the MOT (or T?V to be more precise), so I thought everything was okay. In the end it needed just new rear brake pads and handbrake adjustment so it wasn't a total disaster. Now of course I'm demanding some money back from the dealer. Anyway, I've learnt the German inspection and registration process quite well, which might be useful in the future.

small

Changing the brake pads and checking the fluids.

Hopefully during the winter I can save enough money to buy the necessary anti-gay bar before spring, so I can do couple of trips to the Nordschleife. In any case I'm not going to drive the car on a track without a roll bar.

small

This shows the painwork on the hardtop quite well. Behind is the old french workhose.

Also on the to-do list is an LSD and some proper tires to replace the Driftinental M+S rubber from 1997. They're quite fun on damp roundabouts actually. Stock suspension is also quite worn, but I'll probably drive next summer with it. Then back in Finland during the winter I can take the subframes out, sandblast them and change the bushes to polyurethane ones and also install some new springs and adjustable shocks. And new wheels. And front lip. And maybe a turbo? So buying a cheap project car is probably not that cheap after all.

Edit: just noticed that three of the first four threads where about MX-5 when I posted this. Oh man... :D

Last edited:
Y
small

Changing the brake pads and checking the fluids.

It looks so cute lifted on one side like that, as if it's leaning over and waving hello. Good to see another small roadster owner on this site, even if it is a bloody common MX-5 :p.

Grats on the car :D

maybe a radio :unsure:

small

that is such a Cars inspired "TA-DAAA!" angle for the mx5 XD

edit: damn, beaten by LCG

You seem to have a rather large garage all to yourself. Planning on further expanding your collection? :D

As Blayde said a radio. Does it have headrest speakers? If it does replace them with Clearwaters, if not put them in. The wiring harness that runs down the seat is fairly cheap and the radio harness comes out of the floor under the seats on all NA Miata's if they had the optional headrest speakers or not.

Edit: just noticed that three of the first four threads where about MX-5 when I posted this. Oh man... :D

Welcome to the club. I'm on my 2nd Miata.

You and your cheap Miatas....grumble grumble...

Congrats! :lol:
I envy you.

That example looks quite clean. Very nice.

Missing mine right about now.

Thanks for comments! I love the dialog between 406 and MX-5 :lol:

You seem to have a rather large garage all to yourself. Planning on further expanding your collection? :D

I wish :D no, I've only rented one place from the garage. Luckily both places right next to it are free, so I can park the Pug there while fixing the Mazda.

As Blayde said a radio. Does it have headrest speakers? If it does replace them with Clearwaters, if not put them in. The wiring harness that runs down the seat is fairly cheap and the radio harness comes out of the floor under the seats on all NA Miata's if they had the optional headrest speakers or not.

I checked the headrest right after I heard about the place for speakers, but they're empty. But it would be a nice to add them there, because hearing only the engine and tires gets boring at some point.

Edit:

I approve of your numberplate holder. That dealer is just 2km from my house!

In other news, SPF1110 - the equivalent of hiding from the sun in a bunker?

I'd like to know the story about the numberplate holder, while I bought the car from totally opposite corner of Germany, and it has actually come there form Switzerland. But I could give the holder back when by it when I'm going back to Finland :p

Last edited:
Pics are ridiculously good. Can't wait to see the car in the metal some time.

Are there any previous owners listed on your Zulassungsbescheinigung Teil I?

Unfortunately no, because I did the first ever registration to Germany. Car had lived its life in Switzerland. Swiss papers said two previous owners, but you never now. On old and cheap cars I don't trust/care about the papers at all, even though they're probably not fake in Switzerland or Germany. It's easy to see the condition of the car, and in 1.6 MX-5's case I don't even have to worry too much about the timing chain, because the valves won't play with the pistons if it snaps. That just means walking home :p

Public, sadly in real life it's not even near the condition of the pictures, the flashes were really kind to all scratches and dents. I didn't do any corrections to the car of course. Anyway, it's more worth to drive than look at it ;)

Public, sadly in real life it's not even near the condition of the pictures, the flashes were really kind to all scratches and dents.

That's why I said the pics are ridiculously good :p

Maybe I should start to read forecasts? :p
small

Also, I forgot to post the proof pic, so here's a quite failed try, but I guess it's just clear enough.
small

This shape MX-5 always looked cute as a car, but always perfect for a fun small car, and the single side view mirror enhances that effect to no end :lol:

i hope you had your top down..