Oh No - Mininova torrents

skylock

Car(s)
Honda Civic
This may not absolutely belong here, but I think it is something everyone who depends on torrents of TG on Mininova should be aware of.

I was just reading my afterdawn newsletter and noticed this bit.

The very popular torrent site Mininova has posted that they have hit a new milestone, 1 million uploaded torrents, just weeks after announcing they had surpassed the 3 billion torrent download mark.

Now while this is great, it has me worried. Mininova is where I download my fix of TG.

Posting the above is about the equivelant of painting a big red bullseye on your chest these days.

I am extremely grateful to whoever is responsible for putting the torrents up.

Are there any contiengcy plans for when Mininova takes the hit?

Any way you look at it, torrents are safe, as they're not pirated information themselves. But only information to where the pirated stuff is. So it's legal. Ish...

Take a look here:

Is downloading torrent files from Mininova illegal?

No, torrent files are not copyrighted, so this is allowed. However, opening a torrent file in your BitTorrent client may start the process of downloading (and possibly uploading) copyrighted content. Depending on the circumstances, such as the content in question and the country you're living in, this might be illegal. In some countries, it is illegal to download and upload copyrighted material. In this case, make sure that you only download unlicensed content via BitTorrent. In some other countries, it is allowed to download copyrighted material, as long as you don't upload. If this is the case, we advise you to use the BitThief client. To be on the safe side, we advise you not to download any copyrighted content at all.

Pants need not be pooped yet. :)

Last edited:
Mininova is awesome indeed but these sites come and go and the torrent system survives. Anybody remember SuprNova? I thought the world was gonna end when that went down, but millions of other -nova sites have popped up.

I am not pooping my pants yet, but as a regular reader of afterdawn, I have seen lots of big torrent sites take the hit recently.

So far, most have come back, albet with limitations. (with the exception of Pirates Bay who was back in full force in 3 days) The most recent, which I can't remember the name of right now, no longer allows Canadian access and a few other things like that.

Which site blocked Canadian access?

What's retarded is that in Canada a few years ago stores started charging a levy on blank media (CD/DVD) supposedly for the music and film industries to recoup the money they'd lost, yet downloading stuff is still illegal.

I was thinking, if worse came to worse, I am willing to bet Viper would find a way for us to download Top Gear and Fifth Gear via a private tracker just for registered users of Final Gear.

I was thinking, if worse came to worse, I am willing to bet Viper would find a way for us to download Top Gear and Fifth Gear via a private tracker just for registered users of Final Gear.

Yeah, something along those lines is what I am hoping for.

I am just hoping the someone is already thinking about it.

Aren't the RiVER releases put on other trackers anyway?

Most, if not all, of the Top Gear torrents on mininova actually use the Pirate Bay tracker.....right?

Are there any contiengcy plans for when Mininova takes the hit?

You're worried over nothing. ;)

Mininova has been a target long before they hit these milestones. I mean heck, they're already literally one of the top 50 websites in the world based on visitors.

Aren't the RiVER releases put on other trackers anyway?

Mininova isn't a tracker, simply a torrent host and search engine.

Most, if not all, of the Top Gear torrents on mininova actually use the Pirate Bay tracker.....right?

Hardly. It's currently about 23%.

http://www.mininova.org/stats/track/

Anybody remember SuprNova?
SuprNova has been back up for months now ;)

Which site blocked Canadian access?
Demonoid. And, actually, Demonoid is completely down now because the CRIA (which is basically a corporate fascist enforcing American thought crime in Canada) bullied Demonoid's server rental company into submission, even though, legally, they have no leg to stand on.

What's retarded is that in Canada a few years ago stores started charging a levy on blank media (CD/DVD) supposedly for the music and film industries to recoup the money they'd lost, yet downloading stuff is still illegal
Retarded is right. Well, yes and no. Now that we have this levy, they have no grounds for suing children and grandmothers and extort $220,000 for downloading a few songs. That and some good-old judicial common sense.

Its true torrent sites die all the time, but there are lots of ways to download Top Gear, its just that Torrents are the best way to get a file spread.

If torrents, die, then there's always HTTP links, FTPs, Emule, DC++ (does anyone still use that?), newsgroups and shudder gnutella1 and 2.

Torrents will never die.

OK guys, thanks a lot.

I knew people smarter than I would know what to do.

I will worry no more.

Any way you look at it, torrents are safe, as they're not pirated information themselves. But only information to where the pirated stuff is. So it's legal. Ish...

so what happened with demonoid?

they won't kill the poor torrent user but will gun-down torrent sites
Only to be replaced by another. It's the Hydra Effect. :)

so what happened with demonoid?
Serious question? Or response to Ice's post?

If serious, read TorrentFreak and/or Wikipedia.

If rebuttal, torrents != torrent site. Torrent sites can easily be shut down, torrents themselves can't be, especially trackerless ones.