• The development of any software program, including, but not limited to, training a machine learning or artificial intelligence (AI) system, is prohibited using the contents and materials on this website.

Oh, the irony.

Viggen

Car(s)
12 VW Golf GTI
Heh. No matter the evidences, some people will do everything to deny them - at the risk of their life.

I firmly believe that the government has no right telling us that we have to wear our seatbelts...but that doesn't mean I won't do it. In fact, I require people to buckle up in my car when I drive. I'm nervous if I ride without a belt.

i also ALWAYS wear a seatbelt, but i think it's stupid that you are forced to wear one, it's you own choice!

Dr. Woo said:
I firmly believe that the government has no right telling us that we have to wear our seatbelts...

Well I'm sorry, but since not so few people are so stupid as to believe they are better off without a seatbelt whilst all evidence out there leads to the opposite, its being enforced by law is a _good thing_.

idletask said:
Well I'm sorry, but since not so few people are so stupid as to believe they are better off without a seatbelt whilst all evidence out there leads to the opposite, its being enforced by law is a _good thing_.
Why stop there, then? Why don't we force people to stop smoking? Or maybe outlaw alcohol, or perhaps engines with > 200 PS?

Oh! I got it. Mandate exercise. You must exercise at least once a week, to be consisted of calisthenics, cardio, and minor strength training.

Dr. Woo said:
Why stop there, then? Why don't we force people to stop smoking? Or maybe outlaw alcohol, or perhaps engines with > 200 PS?

While I agree with you on the base of it (if cigs weren't on sale after all I wouldn't be smoking at all, nor would I be drinking if there weren't alcohol) there is a huge difference: lives lost cost money, but more is earned with tobacco and alcohol than lost. Not so with road accidents. Cynical, but true. Despite all this, there still is NO EXCUSE AT ALL not to enforce any tiny bit of legislation that can help minimize the consequence of road accidents. And the seatbelt has been long proven to be THE greatest factor in reducing road deaths, even ahead of the introduction of speed limits.

Oh! I got it. Mandate exercise. You must exercise at least once a week, to be consisted of calisthenics, cardio, and minor strength training.

Same thing. Would cost more money than what's earned... What's more you can be perfectly healthy without exercise at all. But not wearing your seatbelt is playing with your life.

I can never sit comfortably in a car without a seatbelt as well.... its just a automatic thing I would do when I get in the car... reach over my shoulders to grab it

I suppose it's more along the lines of my personal hatred towards government control in my personal life. It's like the cruising laws...if a cop sees you pass the same point twice within a certain period of time, they can pull you over and ticket you for 'cruising.' It's up to the police to decide.

I feel that I can make intelligent choices about my life and safety without the government telling me what to do. It's just another thing that makes me feel like Big Brother feels a need to wrap his arms around us.

idletask said:

Hehe, forget the law, let natural selection do it's thing. We will have less stupid people then :lol:

I hate the cruising law... I don't get the problem with it. Everyone pays the road tax and they all have to right to use it as much as they want. Its fun to drive around for no reason whatsoever... my cousin and I always take his dads Ferrari 456GTA and drive to the next town which is about 180km away just to have a meal and drive back... we still do it now and then...

Thats a fantastic site! Its now bookmarked and Ill find loads of stuff there. I love urban legends.

Ok, I want to say what I think of seatbelts. I hate to wear them, but I do, not because of the law, but because anyone with a tiny bit of logic sees that it is most likely to save you if you crash.

However, I must say, allthough it is a bit communistic to have a government that decides what you wear in your own car, I think it is a good thing.
You might say you are responsible for yourself, its easy to think that if you die in traffic; Thats your problem. But remember that your death costs the society a lot. In Norway traffic deaths alone costs hundreds of millions. Also you have a family who most likely wants you to walk the earth.

You are responsible for your life, but others care for you aswell.

well... I think if you speed and crash and die... that is my problem and that is what I choose. I will never speed when there are alot of cars on the road... that is just being an idiot and driving recklessly... Another thing that I never do is speed way over the limit when there are other people in the car... if I want to speed... I should only be risking my life and not anyone else's

If your country has a government funded health system then you don't feel like paying for idiots who get injured without their seatbelt.

i think it's stupid that you are forced to wear one
The law actually originated from a statistic showing that a few thousand people are killed in the U.S. each year because someone loses control of the vehicle because of being knocked out of the driver seat. The studies showed that if they had been wearing their seat belt, they would have remained in control of the vehicle and the fatal accidents would likely have been avoided. This is why most of the seat belt laws originally applied only to the driver. It was later that the politicians extended the seat belt laws to include everyone else in the vehicle. Some state laws still only apply to the driver, however.

What makes me angry: parents that don't buckle in their young children.

MXM said:
idletask said:

Hehe, forget the law, let natural selection do it's thing. We will have less stupid people then :lol:
And those stupid people will be able to sue others for more money because they sustained more severe injuries...

bone said:
i also ALWAYS wear a seatbelt, but i think it's stupid that you are forced to wear one, it's you own choice!
I perfectly agree with that. In 1986, I believe, my father would have died if he was wearing a seatbelt. The roofline has become pretty intimate with the steering wheel, because of some drunk guy that drove against us.

andyhui01 said:
I can never sit comfortably in a car without a seatbelt as well.... its just a automatic thing I would do when I get in the car... reach over my shoulders to grab it

Ditto