Okay, I hate my PC -- time for a new one

A quick question:

I'm planning in 2008 to (hopefully) replace my motherboard, CPU, and graphics card, upgrading to PCI-E (from AGP) and Dual Core.

I am sort of the opposite to Viper - I have always had AMD and ATI, and don't understand the Intel and nVidia names/numbers.

Which would you guys advise? AMD/ATI or Intel/nVidia?

At the moment I'm only looking, but it would be nice to get some opinions. I'm looking for a computer for the same purposes as Vipers new one so convince me!

Thanks.

I'd suggest what I got. C2D and 8800 GT is where it's at.

Also just asking. Can you mix an Intel processor with an ATI gfx card?

Its just that I have found a pretty good ATI graphics card (PCI-E) but have heard very strong reviews for Core2 over AMD Dual Cores.

EDIT: This... I believe has answered my question, and posed a solution. Get an Intel PSU therefore with an nVidia chipset, and simply add this ATI graphics card (I'm not interested in SLI or Crossfire)

Therefore I am posed with another problem. As said in my previous post, I have no clue as to what the Intel CPU numbers and figures mean. Halp accepted greatfully.

Last edited:
You could go any which way. AMD/nVidia or Intel/ATI or AMD/ATI or Intel/nVidia.

The better cards at the moment from the 2 are the 3870 from ATI and the 8800GT from nVidia. The 8800GT is the better of the 2 and the ATI is cheaper but only very slightly.

Thanks a lot.

I also want your opinion on the gfx card I have found. The only problem I can see is the GDDR2 as opposed to 4 with the 3870. Here.

Btw, the 3870 goes for around ?165 here.

That card is not great for the money, really it isn't. 3870 is a whole lot better then the 2600XT. The nVidia 8800GT has better performance for price then the 3870 and the prices should be pretty close, but the choice is up to you.

As for Intel CPU numbers:
Core 2 Duo = Dual Core CPU
E6550 = 2.33GHz
E6750 = 2.66GHz Pick
E6850 = 3.00GHz
Core 2 Quad = Quad Core CPU
Q6600 = 2.40GHz
Q6700 = 2.66GHz

Last edited:
Another thing I've noticed. What is the difference between GDDR3 and GDDR4? All the nVidias have 3 and ATIs have 4. How does this affect it?

EDIT: RAM order cancelled.

Last edited:
The differences between GDDR3 and GDDR4 are things like improved power consumption and higher bandwidth, but really it doesn't matter, it won't affect it.

If your going to build new then cancel your order. It's actually cheaper to buy 2 GB of DDR2 ram then it is 2GB of DDR.
Plus get yourself a good power supply, you don't want things blowing up down the track.

I just decided to do the 3DMark06 test. To have something to compare. I was expecting around 2500 like Viper's old rig. You know what I got? 1881. Great. :lol: Futureproof? Well it was.

I just decided to do the 3DMark06 test. To have something to compare. I was expecting around 2500 like Viper's old rig. You know what I got? 1881. Great. :lol: Futureproof? Well it was.
:lmao:

Hmm, mine only got 4000 odd on Futuremark. The odd thing is my CPU results.

CPU1 - Red Valley 0.48 FPS

CPU2 - Red Valley 0.776 FPS

Is this right for a Core2Duo 4300 or is something wrong?

That's true. I have a QX6850 and I couldn't manage more than 3 in the first test. I still scored like 16000 though.

The whole point of the CPU test is to be ridiculous on your CPU. Much easier to test that way and more future proof.

Could be worse, my current PC only achieved 943:(
Time for an upgrade, but I can't really build till April.

^ Ouch.

Well I can only wait until April as well. Thats when my 16th Birthday is, so I can get a job in Sainsburys or "my local well known supermarket!". Yeah. Add to that my birthday monies and I should be laughing. Hopefully.

I would not recommend buying Nvidia motherboards, they are either high end or rubbish ATM.

Something i have noticed, this is the longest, though not the fastest, computer build thread I have ever seen.