Okay I think I need some help

mgkdk

Aced mod training!
Car(s)
VW UP! Renault Clio
As you may have noticed I'm lagging terribly when playing LFS online, so I need some help to sort it out, will try to give as much info as possible but please just ask if I'm missing something.

First the basics:
XP SP2 with firewall off, norton firewall off, all prog like msn, bt, emule are closed.

The internet comes in to the first router a linksys something and then goes to a D-link and from there to my pc (and others but they are not doing something requiring alot of bandwith).

The problem started after I got my new computer and a new router, the D-link gaming router.
First I thought it was the router, tried portforwarding, didn't work, then I put myself in the DMZ and it worked perfectly in the first game.

Then last week I did exactly the same and it didn't work :(

Then today I hooked my pc up to the linksys directly but still nothing.
Then I noticed something very very odd when I was fiddeling in the taskmanager, whenever that was the highlighted window my connectionbar in LFS was th same size as the others but when I clicked on the LFS window it shot up to 4 times the size :think:

I have done both a virus check and a check for spyware, nothing.

The lag is sort of periodical, I can drive for about 3,5 sec and then it freezes for 1-2 sec, and the lag I see with you guys is sometimes as much as 50 sec :|

So any suggestions at all :|

Few months ago I has similar lag - few sec everything is nice and then tiny tiny freez.
But that wasnt router or ISP problem...reinstalling drivers didn't help also. But finaly format with new LFS helped.

Does something changes when you have ~10 cars compared to 1-2 car in track?

If this is same problem as I got;

*Try to download NEW, fresh LFS - maybe this helps.
*If not...reinstalling drivers.
*format c: :unsure: :thumbsdown:

Download and install Netlimiter: http://www.netlimiter.com/
Use that to monitor network traffic when you get this lag.
Hopefully that will give us some idea on what LFS and possibly other programs are doing with the network.

MorroW said:
Does something changes when you have ~10 cars compared to 1-2 car in track?

No change, today when I joined there were only 2 cars and it was the same probs.

And the format c: is kinda stupid as it is a brand new computer but maybe I should do a fres install of LFS, but the problems didn't change after the new patch so :dunno:

Another thing to try (with MXM's help) is to go to a dos prompt (start -> run -> cmd ) and type in : "ping -t (MXM's ip address)".
Do this while you're connected with LFS to MXM's LFS server (or possibly someone else's that you can get an ip address from.)

If it truly is lag, you should see the time value shoot up when you do get lag.

Just curious why you have two routers? And do you have anyone else on your network that is bogging you down?

jeffy777 said:
Just curious why you have two routers? And do you have anyone else on your network that is bogging you down?

The two is because the D-link doesn't have the phoneline thingy so it can't be connected directly to it. But I'm changing ISP on the 15th next month and getting a modem to but instead of the first router.

There are 2 other computers on the network, but they don't do anything serious.

If you want I can host a game and do what ESPN suggested. Just let me know on msn when you have time.

Bumpety bump :)

Seems the problem is back (dunno if it ever left) but it worked for a while after I got rid of norton, but now it's back to 'normal'.

It's not the connection, because last saturday when I noticed the problem again I used my laptop instead, it was still laggy, but that was the comp and not the same kind of lag.

I think it's a software issue, because when I run i window-mode to check resourses and connection I can see the little bar in LFS go down to normal and the others can see me, but when I click the LFS-window the connection-bar shoots up and nobody can see me.
It is a periodic lag, 5 sec fine then 3 sec lag, 5 sec fine then 3 sec lag, 5 sec fine then 3 sec lag, ect.
I'm getting around 50-60 fps when there are no lag.
I also noticed something odd last saturday. I always shut down windows firewall and anti-virus, because I don't like it, but when I looked at the overview it sayd thet it was on, I clicked it and there it said that it was off :?

So any suggestions :|

did you try changing the minimum sleep setting in the misc options? i heard it sometimes can have an effect on the laggines of things...

Have you tried the computer in every position in the 'chain'?

Meaning, have you tried it conencted directly to the phone line without any routers, then the first router, then the second.

Then install LFS on a different computer, and check THAT in each position of the chain.

You could also try a different firewall (even just a free downloadable one to test) in place of norton (again in each position in the chain and on more than 1 computer).

That should narrow it down to a specific connection/computer etc. It's a bit of hassle but you only need to check for 5 minutes in each configuration.

^ I have narrowed it down to the computer, if I use my laptop, with the same cable, same place in the router, it works fine.

I don't think its something with the network or router or like that

mgkdk said:
Then I noticed something very very odd when I was fiddeling in the taskmanager, whenever that was the highlighted window my connectionbar in LFS was th same size as the others but when I clicked on the LFS window it shot up to 4 times the size :think:
It seems to be a bug in LFS.
Have you tried a clean 'install' of LFS? because you still got 2 versions of LFS. laptop & computer

^ I did a clean install when I got the computer and again with one of the big updates.
And it's the same version on both computers.

mmm, format c: ;).

It is definitely the computer at this point. This happened on the brand new machine though, right?

Could be some sort of little program that is running that you might not realize.
Or perhaps a driver problem.
I'd normally go in the services control panel, and stop anything that I don't need, and then I go in the task manager and kill any process that is not needed, and then check if it still happens.

This requires some knowledge of windows services and processes, however in this case you could compare the services and processes that run on your laptop against what's on your desktop pc.

Mischief007 said:
mmm, format c: ;).

I'm beginning to fear that you are right :(

Mischief007 said:
It is definitely the computer at this point. This happened on the brand new machine though, right?

Yup, brand new.

ESPNSTI said:
This requires some knowledge of windows services and processes, however in this case you could compare the services and processes that run on your laptop against what's on your desktop pc.

Uhm, I'm on the laptop now, at uni, so I can't check, but I'll check it later, only problem with that is maybe that the desktop runs SP2 and the laptop only SP1 :|

Preinstalled OS?

ESPN might be hitting on something. There's always a few services that I like to kill when setting up a new machine.

These are some of the services I kill:
Automatic updates
Error Reporting Service
Help & Support
Remote Registry (I don't know why M$ enabled this by default)
Security Center
Wireless Zero Configuration (since I don't use wireless on the PC)

But if it is an old driver that is screwing up, remove all the video drivers and then install the newest ones.

What type of video card do you have?