Old school analogue or new school digital? in-car....

I'll take my old "there's no actual numbers for the data, just a gauge giving you a rough idea" dash in combination with a digital heads up display on the windshield for more accurate, detailed and convenient information.

https://pic.armedcats.net/n/na/nabster/2009/07/08/dash.jpg
Love that dash. Had one similar to that in my old Chevy truck. However, all of the guages save for the speedo and tach were... backwards. If the fuel guage said I was empty, it was full. Same for oil and water temp. o_O

On topic: Analog all of the way!

I know it's impossible to reason with insanity - suffice it to say that while I like driving cars, I also prefer to make things as close to new when I go through and refurbish or rebuild them. Unlike you, who apparently wants everything to be old, and tarnished and muddy....

Why would I want to do that? It drives just fine already.

The ancilliary gauges don't have their anti-glare covers on yet - but the main instruments have their antiglare coatings on already. :D

It's only original once. You should know that. And there are a lot more people who want to see original analogue gauges in these cars than modern digital gauges, no matter how much "better" they may be to a few people. And yes, I do have a cabinet full of old and tarnished and original parts for my car. Everything changed about it can be reverted to original quite easily.

So really it comes down to me preserving the integrity of my car, and you coachbuilding your car to suit your own taste.

6 o'clock analog dials.
p3.jpg

Analogue. Particularly odd and unique ones. Like the counterclockwise tach in some old fiats, or the rectangular speedos in late 70's ford products, or the rotating drums beneath magnifying glass in some citroens.

Attachments

• lincoln.jpg
    lincoln.jpg
    271.4 KB · Views: 93
  • citroen.jpg
    citroen.jpg
    136.9 KB · Views: 82
Mix of the two, if I'm honest. A nice LCD for some readouts, but with analog for the big four - speedo, tach, fuel and engine temp. Gauges should be like fine watches.

And buttons >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> touchscreen, though in some cases a touchscreen is unavoidable. If I have to look at a commonly used control, the designers have failed.

Also, good lord those digital dash solutions are ghastly. It looks like the ghost of the 80s attacked the interior.

I have both in my car. The speedo, tach, engine temp, and gas are analog. But I have a digital "hologram" that gets projected onto the windshield so I don't have to look down to check my speed. The rest of my gauges and readouts are all digital.

Analog, no question.

On a side note, good luck ever getting out of a ticket if you have a digital speedo. ;)

https://pic.armedcats.net/i/is/isaac-sawade/2009/07/08/DSCF0025b.jpg

I'm with Nabster on this, I prefer analogue, you're gauges just look so tacky Spectre.

You are aware that the Jaguar gauges are laughably inaccurate, right?

Analog, no question.

On a side note, good luck ever getting out of a ticket if you have a digital speedo. ;)

And you won't get out of one with a defective analog speedometer *plus* you'll get a citation for "inaccurate odometer" that will screw you when you go to resell the car..

Also, good lord those digital dash solutions are ghastly. It looks like the ghost of the 80s attacked the interior.

Considering that the car I put mine in happens to be from the 80s....

In any case, those aren't the only ones you can have as there are others on the market.

Last edited:
Analogue. Thankfully, Subaru listened to the customers and plopped the tachometer where it should be, in the middle.
249962377_RTb3k-O.jpg

In my opinion, digital numeric readouts look great on a stationary appliance, but tacky in a vehicle. Plus, what would you rather watch; the sweep of a needle, or a numeric blur of numbers? With something as rudimentary as a needle, you can measure it with your conscious part of your brain and make sense of it.

Digital please.

Cressida_db2.jpg

I don't like the guess work, plus my speedo is time delayed properly so it reads much better than any analog I've encountered.

You are aware that the Jaguar gauges are laughably inaccurate, right?

Mine are accurate. They may not be a pinpoint precise as yours, but why do they need to be? They still work and tell me what I need to know.

EDIT: and look better.

Last edited:
Um, they're not that accurate. Your voltmeter reads about 1-1.5V low (trivial) and your temp gauge reads as much as 20C low (important). Then there's the oil pressure gauge which seems to have a random error margin between cars, as great as 15psi.

Then we get into the bouncy tach that all these cars except for the cable drive units have.....

As for look better, I disliked the old S2 gauges anyway, the S3's were much better (and less stylized).

Analogue. Numbers blinking up just don't do it for me as much at watching the needle sweep.

This thread reminds of this video:

[YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=onsJ9i2p3yE[/YOUTUBE]

Like I said, I prefer analog but I think the car sort of determines what it should be. I mean the digital cluster in this Daytona Shelby is just perfect for its time, haha.

I will say this although a matter of style digital does have light problems where a sunny day would throw out all that accuracy. Nothing like old Cadillac with the sun over your shoulder and the thought do I have enough gas, how fast am I going to make you throw up your hand trying to block out the sun.

Um, they're not that accurate. Your voltmeter reads about 1-1.5V low (trivial) and your temp gauge reads as much as 20C low (important). Then there's the oil pressure gauge which seems to have a random error margin between cars, as great as 15psi.

Then we get into the bouncy tach that all these cars except for the cable drive units have.....

As for look better, I disliked the old S2 gauges anyway, the S3's were much better (and less stylized).

My voltmeter reads just above 13V, which is about right, if it is a little bit low it would be due to me just connecting the battery after having it on the charger this moning, (I don't leave it on the car if I don't drive it for more than a week, shitty electrics can sometimes cause the battery to go flat) and the temp gauge doesn't show a reading yet as I literally just turned on the motor, as for the oil pressure gauge it's also hard to tell as I just started it up, but If I'm correct, when the car is warmed up, the pressure should be about 40psi at 3000rpm, which I can assure you, it is.

Not too sure what you mean about the tach, it seems to work fine on my car, the speedo does 'bounce' around though, which used to be an annoyance, but I guess I've just gotten used to it.

Anyways, this topic is really about how analogue gauges look, when it comes down with it, would you rather a casio or a breitling.

Last edited:
Analogue. If you're looking for extreme precision or somehow fancy your car as a special case, than digitals can be very nice- but for me at least it is hard to beat the crisp movement of the needles (unless of course you have a chronometric gauge, in which case the needles will be flying all over the goddamn place :mrgreen:)