Old stereo to new stereo

essentialatom

Car(s)
Renault Clio Sport
I want to replace the old cassette radio in my Renault Megane with a newer CD one I bought a few years ago. The problem is that the connectors don't match up. The car possesses these leads:
Oewm7.jpg

And the new radio has this socket:
cJWKY.jpg

Is there an adapter I can buy to use the new radio or will I have to live with the old one? Thanks in advance, and also I will say thanks later because it is polite and that. :)

Bear also in mind that remote radio controls near steering wheel will stop working, unless your new headunit supports it and you have specific adapter for it. At least Alpine and Blaupunkt are selling adapters for their devices, dont know about others.

There is an adapter for steering wheel controls. I bought one for my LR but never installed it because the buttons on the radio were easier to use than the ones the LR came with. I forgot the name of it unfortunately.

If crutchfield works internationally, I choose them. They have the adapters needed, all of them.

If crutchfield works internationally, I choose them. They have the adapters needed, all of them.

They are usually more expensive, but I love that you just get everything you need, with CLEAR directions!

The radio I swapped into the Discovery had the same mini connector, but there was an adapter in the box. Halfrauds should sort you out if not.

Thanks for the help, everyone. I just went to Halfords but they didn't have the part I need. They told me that it should have come with the radio but they don't sell it or know where it can be bought, which is exactly what I'd expect from the nation's leading auto parts retailer. If it did come with the radio it's long gone, as I bought that thing maybe six years ago and all that's left in the box is pieces of paper.

I looked at Crutchfield but they don't seem to have anything for an early 2000 Renault Megane. Though they may well have the connector I need under a different name. It's immediately clear that this isn't like as standard as I'd imagined, and it's just another reason that I can't wait for everything to be USB one day. From the looks of the Crutchfield site, if I can find an appropriate connector, some soldering and assorted messing around would be required, can anyone confirm that?

It may eventually come down to purchasing a brand new stereo, despite your suggestions. Thanks though!

There is an adapter for steering wheel controls. I bought one for my LR but never installed it because the buttons on the radio were easier to use than the ones the LR came with. I forgot the name of it unfortunately.

You don't still have it, do you? ;)

You can also get used original CD-radios like this one for your Megane from ebay or from salvage cars. That way everything would be just bolt on, and the radio display and steering wheel controls would work just as before.

I have two adapters for that connection: the first one from BMW to Standard-DIN, the second one from Standard-DIN to the headunit-specific connector. As I already had the adapter from Standard-DIN to the headunit-specific connector when I bought my car I didn't bother searching for a BMW to headunit-specific connector.
I wanted to carry the headunit over from my old car since it has Bluetooth-connection for hands-free talking on the phone so an original BMW headunit didn't work. Additionally, I don't have a fancy steering wheel with buttons, so no loss there.

I was going to say that I'm surprised that Halfords didn't have anything but comparing that picture to the adapters that are sold for my Kenwood unit there are lots of types. This place sells lots of adapters though.

The car year and model are essentially irrelevant, those plugs are standard ISO, the same as the ones in my Disco.

luster terminals.

By the way, is that a Pioneer you're trying to put in?

That thing looks nice, very flat.

Too bad Sony is too embarrassed to list total harmonic distortion on it. I think they sell that as an Xplod here.

Anyway, you will need the Sony-specific harness from that head unit to the ISO connector, then the ISO-connector-to-car-connectors harness that's available from the aftermarket. Alternately, you could get this (or something like this) and the ISO-to-car connector then cut and splice the two as needed (we don't use the ISO connector here): http://www.ebay.com/itm/SONY-PLUG-C...n_Dash_Receivers&vxp=mtr&hash=item3f1b2b97a9a

Last edited:
Too bad Sony is too embarrassed to list total harmonic distortion on it. I think they sell that as an Xplod here.

I'm sorry but, can you actually hear the difference of distortion?

If you haven't figured it out yet, Spectre is a godlike creature sent here to tell us what is perfect for everyone...

I'm sorry but, can you actually hear the difference of distortion?

Yes.

But don't take my word for it:

Whatever you do though, do not get anything Sony or Xplod. It's ridiculously bad, sound quality wise. I remember in the store we had a whole wall of radios connected to the same amp & speakers, so you could compare quality. When the store was empty we did a test to see which stereo started to distort first, and the Sony won it hands down, even before I would begin to call the sound "overly loud"...

If you haven't figured it out yet, Spectre is a godlike creature sent here to tell us what is perfect for everyone...

Not quite, though I'm working on that. :evil: But do see above, it isn't just my opinion. Google reveals more horror stories with Sony gear like that.

Last edited:
I never said it was any good, was just bored and used the opportunity to poke the bear. :tease: